Projector retrofit into jdm headlights

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Projector retrofit into jdm headlights

Postby Paulm » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:13 am

well, anyone that ones jdm headlights know how poop the beam is coming from the H4H bulbs, the only way to increase the output is either spend £70+ on PIAA bulbs, get H4H hids (which only come in single beam), or swap to UK headlights... Or, retrofit OEM projectors into the existing jdm headlight which is what htis walkthrough will show you.

First off, you'll need to get some projectors, there are some good sites out there, namely this one - http://www.theretrofitsource.com/ loads of good info, you can also buy the projectors on here, but it also shows you what projectors are out there and with some intelligent google searching you ca nfind out what cars they come in as oem.
Theres basically 3 types of projectors - halogen projectors, xenon projectors and bi-xenon projectors
If you wnat to use HIDS, then dont get halogen projectors (ie the cheap ebay angel eyes etc) the beam pattern will still be bad if using hids plus the new mot laws now say they are illegal.
Xenon projectors are single beam, and bi-xenon projectors are hi and low. For this project Im using xenon projectors as im also going to be fitting in the UK main beam headlights in the centre aux position.

So, what do you need? Well, lots of looking on ebay to find cars breaking that have oem xenon headlights, as always I got lucky and I have in my hands a set of Vauxhall Omega xenons (which are hella) complete with the ballast and bulbs for £25, although dont generally expect to pay this little :)
If they dont come with ballast and bulbs then any hid kit off ebay will work - you'll need to make sure of the bulb size, most oem hids use D2S bulbs.
My lights got delivered yesterday so straight into a hot oven for 4 minutes to soften the glue/sealant thats used on headlights to pull the front lense off, take off anythingthat might melt or get very hot first, so all bulbs, bits of wiring etc then pull the lense off. you can then unscrew the projector housing from the headlight.
Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: 1992 greenish SIR B20

Re: Projector retrofit into jdm headlights

Postby Paulm » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:19 am

Thats as far as I have got at the moment, lukily i have a smashed up jdm headlight which is ideal to cut up break bits off and fit the projector properly so now the fun and games start trying to fit a projector into something that doesnt accept them! On first glance it doesnt actually look like it will be that bad, although its normally famous last words - the big thing is getting them level so the cutoff etc is right when they are switched on. Heres a few pics of what I got/havent done so far

projectors taken out of omega headlights, ballasts and wiring -#
ScreenShot003.jpg

you can see the clear cutoff line when looking through the lense, this will stop any glare. the cutoff line goes at the bottom as the lense reflects everything the opposite way
IMAG0122.JPG
Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby battscrxvti » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:07 pm

Do you want me to split that head light down I got fella?
crx del sol breaker , also window tinting service
07749 478279 - karl
battscrxvti
DSUK LEGEND
DSUK LEGEND

1993 Honda crx del sol sir
Drives: 1993 captiva blue vti

Postby Paulm » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:23 pm

Nah don't worry. I can split them down when I get that far lol
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby Logik » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:11 pm

Top job so far :D
Logik

Postby Paulm » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:47 pm

no pics really so far, i had a little play with them trying to cut up the original projector housing to fit into the delsol headlight but it looks useless, so ive gone as far aas drilling a 52mm hole into the delsol headlight for the rear end of the projector to fit through so i can change bulbs. By doing it this way I should be able to mount he projector onto the oem housing which then means I can still adjust them as requried to get everything level.
It looks like some sort of aliminium tape will be used to go round the projector to stop light escaping and after that try and think os something to do to make it look decent!
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby johnrnugent » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm

As your the expert Paul you can do me one... :D :D :P :P :lol: :lol:

Think this will be a good project :D :D
johnrnugent
DSUK Jester
DSUK Jester

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Drives: Honda Jazz Sport. RED VTi TT

Postby johnrnugent » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:08 pm

Hows this Project coming along Paul!!!!
johnrnugent
DSUK Jester
DSUK Jester

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Postby Paulm » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:45 pm

slowly :lol: now my wideband is here im too busy playing with that :D Im off over easter so might have a play around on friday and saturday. I keep bringing the stuff home to do, and then it never gets done!

plus the sun has brought out all theses broken transtops, ive already had 4 in the last 6 weeks and another one jsut now sorted to do on Saturday morning
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby johnrnugent » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:56 pm

At least your Busy... :lol: :lol:
What can you do with the wideband!!!!
johnrnugent
DSUK Jester
DSUK Jester

Postby Paulm » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:26 pm

Tune my car ;)
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby Paulm » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:08 pm

so i actually done something on them today! took the plunge and selected the best set of jdm lights i have with the backs (not fussed with the fronts for now) this time i used a heat gun to seperate lense from the body, not something i would recommend - 5-10 minutes in the oven is a lot safer ;)

Then comes the task of being able to take out the silver (or not) inner without breaking it. It takes a long time to wind out the 3 adjusters, 2 of them are the cogs you do with a philips screwdriver, the 3rd is an 8mm bolt. Once all undone you can take it out completely. You dont need to do anything else with eh abck of the headlight casing as its all the right size etc.

Now take a 51 or 54mm hole drill and mark out where you'll be drilling, basically centre it with the existing hole for the bulb and then get drilling, You are then left with a gaping hole and now its a case of getting the projector to fit. couple of tabs need to be sawn off (this will be dependant on what projectors you get)

Im now as far as just about finishing all the cutting for one side, the projector lense is levelled on all 3 dimensions, the next fun and games will be securing it to the existing inner. I have a feeling tigerseal will come into play here! I need to get some aluminium tape to shield the lighting and then some chrome paint to finish off the inside again and it can go back together
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby Glovermx » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:32 pm

Good work Paul! but wheres all the pictures!? :D

once the projector is mounted, is it fixed or can you adjust the projector independently to the housing?
My Ongoing Vti Project Here
Glovermx
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: 2004 Nissan 350Z Gun Metal Silver

Postby Paulm » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:22 am

I'll be mounting the projector on the existing inner so I can still adjust them using the oem points, cant really use tigerseal until i get them lined up on the same cutoff line as the stock ones. so once i get the mot i know the lights are correct, then i can go in the unit and mark it all out on the wall :)

Anyway, pics so far. im sure sure whether to use crhome paint to keep the effect or to spray everything satin/gloss black, opinions?

this is the front and back after the 54mm hole has been drilled, you can see the part i had to cut out extra on the top as the projector doesnt mount central to tthe existing hole, you can see how much its been burnt previously by someone using the wrong bulbs i suspect
IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg

and here it is mounted in the headlight, the two bottom tabs on the projector have been marked on the headlight casing. i need to make a hole for these to fine tune the vertical level when lining up the beam, then i can fibreglass/tigerseal underneath as it wont be seen anyway. I will need to make it a sealed unit so they dont fog up or get condensation in as well
IMAG0146.jpg

IMAG0148.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0151.jpg
Attachments
IMAG0143.jpg
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby johnrnugent » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:43 am

Some good work there Paul... looks well Fiddlely but will look uber cool when they finished :) :)
johnrnugent
DSUK Jester
DSUK Jester

Next

Return to Ongoing Projects