1995 VGi refresh

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

1995 VGi refresh

Postby Fester » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:22 am

Thought it was about time i updated something here, primarily because i hate facebook and it's no use as a searchable index plus I prefer forum layout of stuff as you can edit it as a proper thread.

Having sold an S2000 and an Aygo and replaced both of those with a Fiesta ST3 I felt like i was missing open top action. Didn't want an Mr2. Wasn't fancying another S2000 and didn't want to spend a fortune. Our good friend Karl had a silver beater he was considering breaking and a deal was done for the entire car. 12 months MOT and a little bit grubby / grotty and a bit rough around the edges but everything worked and I reckoned that'd do as a 6 month run around and then break it up when it fell to bits and keep the spares for the other Sol 'we' have.

These are some of the pics from Karl before I got it.

Then Covid 19 happened and that changed plans a little which is where this really starts.

So one bored day way earlier in 2020 I decided i'd take the rear garnish and spoiler off and see what could be done - just for something to do.

Ok so that clears up any doubts about the paint under the faded lacquer.

That brings me on to the worst part of the car. So i took the rear bumper off.

Ok so that's not as bad as i thought and for 25 years old it's pretty good, better than i was expecting based on the state of the rear arches.

Both outer and inner were rotten. No lip left on either side and eaten a fair way into the inner wing. Now up until this point i'd assumed the whole car was rotten underneath, finding out it was just the rear arches so far I had an idea i 'might' repair it but not until i'd had a look at the rest of it.

Picked up these for a steal from a breaker out in the sticks near Silverstone.

That's after doing a bit of leather repair / recolouring and a good clean. Pan swap completed and ready to go in. Not a bad job to do - about 40 minutes per seat being careful with clips and bolts.

Next up was the aerial - mine went half up and a quarter down and with a whole lot of crunching at either end of that process. It ruined itself coming out and I couldn't find a decent OEM one to replace it with. Read a post saying 'S2000 ones fit' so i bought a complete one.

Bit of hacking and cutting later

And bingo - a bit of fiddling and it's in.

New aerial deserves a new Radio as the existing Alpine was a bit unhappy.

Last edited by Fester on Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Fester
Progress to next rank:
51.5%

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

1995 Honda CRX Del Sol VGI

Re: 1995 VGi refresh

Postby Fester » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:23 am

So having got the garnish cleaned up and shiny the spoiler and boot were looking a bit sad ( you can see where this is going).

And yes, that is an old kitchen scouring pad.

Now onto the rear bumper. I have no idea who did this originally, it wasn't Karl and it wasn't me but it can't stay like this.

So sand and filler and some paint and elbow grease and then back on.

One of the mirrors was a fair bit battered so off it c omes and strip it down. But first bought some spares to trial run on.

At this point i'd had enough of paint for a few days but I knew the front bumper was badly cracked in the middle so i'd sourced another one that was solid but with properly rough paint. So once Shiply delivered it I set about working on it.

Front and rear bumpers are now the same shade of silver and for now, that's good enough. We'll get to that later.

Whilst the bumper was off I thought i'd have peek in the scuttle and the inner wings just to check for dirt / scab / rot.

Nothing to see here so both bolted back on after a quick wash inside.

Repainted wiper arms, cleaned the plastics up and refiited it.

Last edited by Fester on Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fester
Progress to next rank:
51.5%

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

I ran around on the TSW wheels it came with for a while and then on a much newer set of the same wheels ( thanks car part hoarding Wife :D) but knew it was a set of 15s I wanted as they suit the car.

Found these on German eBay for £140 inc 4 brand new hankook ventus tyres. Rial something, probably off something German, i neither know nor care at that price.

They look ok on.

But the paint was horrid and rough so off we go again.

Also did the centre trims

And fitted.

After fitting the wheels - time to fit the seats in.

Last edited by Fester on Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fester
Progress to next rank:
51.5%

Now onto the Sols weakspot and my favourite thing to tinker with .... headlights.

JDM H4H lamps are even poorer than the UK H4 stuff and with even less lamp choice. Even with perfect JDM headlights the output is next to useless.

Disassemble :D

Cleaned up the lenses.

Off we go on the install.

First off is to dremel away the old shroud mount.

Inner units fitted and sealant channels cleaned out.

Projector unit trial fit.

Both units trial fitted.

JDM OEM units at the back and my new built ones at the front.

Test fit with clingfilm still over the covers.

And finally fitted.

Significantly better than the OEM candles.

Last edited by Fester on Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fester
Progress to next rank:
51.5%

Postby Fester » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:53 am

Now back to those rear arches. I'd cleaned up both sides.

And after talking to Karl again ( i do this a lot) and sourcing a set of EG 3 Door Hatch arch repair panels, i popped down to Dynamite Autos in Stevenage and after a chat about what i wanted / what he could do we agreed on a price.

Both arches cut out and welded with new outers. Inner repairs as needed. Sealed and stoneguarded after welding and primer / paint. Roof panel painted as the lacquer had failed completely - he blew over the rear bumper as a freebie to use up the last of the paint. My job was 'OK' but a spray gun will always give a better finish which takes me to this.

Leak fixed - boot vent wasn't clipped in properly, fit it at 45 degrees, top first and then once the locating lip is inside the car you push it in at the bottom to lock it in place. No more water. No more rotting from the inside out.

Last edited by Fester on Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fester
Progress to next rank:
51.5%

Postby Fester » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:53 am

What's next?

I've got 4 mud guards to clean up and refit.
Sill covers are also being cleaned up.
Need to fit the genuine Honda floor mats i found on eBay.
Finish off the front speaker upgrade to components and move the existing 'new' fronts to the rears.
Finish off the sound deadening.

And at some point next year i'll get the passenger door either replaced or painted along with the front bumper and the passenger wing ( both the wing and the door were painted before i got the car and in some other shade of silver).
Last edited by Fester on Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fester
Progress to next rank:
51.5%

Postby solman » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:20 am

Holy cow a new project thread!

Well done for taking this on, looking loads better and another plus is it was saved from Karls dirty breaker mittens just in time!
Did you know DSUK are on:

Image Image Image Image

solman
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

Drives: Crystal Black FK8

Postby Fester » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:59 pm

After fitting that rear ARB i do not know why they didn't fit one originally, it's completely unwobbled the rear end of the thing and the weight of that transtop is no longer felt around corners.
Fester
Progress to next rank:
51.5%

Postby Fester » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:21 pm

And since FB breaks image links and this won't let me attach files of more than 256Kb that pretty much does for a thread. I guess forums really are dead.
Fester
Progress to next rank:
51.5%

Postby DC2KID » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:06 am

Fester wrote:And since FB breaks image links and this won't let me attach files of more than 256Kb that pretty much does for a thread. I guess forums really are dead.

What I do send the image you want to upload, to a mate via Facebook messenger, and then save it again, that usually downgrades it enough 8)

Don't give up on the build thread :)
DC2KID
Progress to next rank:
2%

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Drives: Integra Type R DC2

Postby Fester » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:51 pm

What i've done is reactivatedf a FlickR account just for this - FB etal are NFU for image sharing on forums. Got a few more pictures to take as done a few more bits and bobs including a new lightweight marine ply boot floor. Sound deadened the boot floor, inner wings, inner doorskins and rear of door cards. Mids and tweeters fitted to the front doors and those new mats fitted.

Also fitted a working light to the (T74 fitment in case anyone wonders) ashtray :-)
Fester
Progress to next rank:
51.5%

Postby Fester » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:31 pm

Little things today. Removed the crap lighter socket and replaced with a Dual USB charger port and two right handed usb adapters. Now i can shut the lid whilst charging stuff.

Fester
Progress to next rank:
51.5%

Postby Fester » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:38 pm

Ahh yes and forgotten i'd done this

I do not know why it never had one from the factory, the extra weight of the TT really needs it. Handling is so much less wobbly.
Fester
Progress to next rank:
51.5%

Postby Fester » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:24 pm

Changed out the dash lamps for white led, the auto gear backlight and the ashtray / aux light switch. Also did the climate control ...... if anyone else has a go at this, there's a grey plastic clip that holds the wire harness in place just up and to the right of the back of the radio slot - pop that out and undo the screw under the unit and it will slide right out.
Fester
Progress to next rank:
51.5%

Postby battscrxvti » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:35 pm

I am so glad you saved this one and got it off me as it was close to being killed , only a few days away from
Being stripped down , looks so great well done
crx del sol breaker , also window tinting service
07749 478279 - karl
battscrxvti
DSUK LEGEND
DSUK LEGEND

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

1993 Honda crx del sol sir
Drives: 1993 captiva blue vti

Return to Ongoing Projects