Additives?

FAQ for all newbies. Please read first before posting questions that may already have been covered before.

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Additives?

Postby Cobra_UK » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:37 pm

I've decided that from now on i will only use Shell Optimax fuel. Would recommend it to anyone as it does more Mpg, less emissions and the engine runs better.

What I want to talk about is additives. Engine oil and fuel additives.

I've just been at my local motorstore and seen an interesting range of products by NOS. The injector cleaner is straight-forward enough. What I am puzzled about is this additive that goes in with the engine oil and has tiny ceramic particles that coat the engine and protect it. This is supposed to give more Bhp, more Mpg and prolong the life of the engine.

Does anyone know anything about the NOS engine oil ceramic additive?

Has anyone used these kind of products?

Can anyone suggest any other additives?
Honda CRX Cobra VTI
Cobra_UK
Progress to next rank:
96%

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

Postby Dave G » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:49 pm

My advice would be don't bother with the oil additives, unless your engine is really knackered and you just want to quiten it down to sell it!!

If it coats the engine, as they say, then it must surely make the oil galleries narrower, hence possibly cause oil circulation problems.

Oil companies spend millions of pounds developing their oils with just the right mix of additives, then you put a tin of god knows what in with the oil, and hope it works.

I would just stick with regular oil changes using a good quality oil.
Dave G
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
72.8%

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

Postby klown » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:23 pm

Someone i know rebuilds engines for a living, and he swears that oil additives are rubbish and clog all sorts up,they can result in overheating, rotted seals, scored walls and a shorter life of oil.
SO in conclusion these are bad for your honda dont use em.
klown
Chatty
Chatty
Progress to next rank:
21.8%

Postby Cobra_UK » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:03 pm

Well as it happends I've done some checking myself and it turns out that a number of big company's like the makers of Slick 50 are being sued in US over false allegations of performance/fuel consumption gains, in fact in some cases deteriorating matters.

Also the company in question Nitrox that has just releases the product in question Nitrox Ceramic 7 (internal engine coating) do not even have a working internet site. I think I'll give it a miss and any other oil additives. Thanks for your posts as they have definetly put me off such products.

On another note, I have also read about fuel additives. The popular ones being the octane boosters, injector cleaners and complete fuel system cleaners. These seem to be regarded a bit more favorably. Most accepted and used fuel additives are the injector cleaners, followed by some fuel system cleaners and the newly introduced octane boosters.

Anybody used any of these?

I usually use a NOS fuel system cleaner every 6 months and NOS injector cleaner every 6 months, interchangeble working at about 1 additve every 3 months. I usually service every 7 months.

Has anyone tried the injector and fuel system cleaners?

How about the octane boosters? What do they actually do? do they work?
Honda CRX Cobra VTI
Cobra_UK
Progress to next rank:
96%

Postby Curtis » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:50 am

you dont need to be cleaning them that often and you can actually get your engine dependant on them.
ImageImage
Jut wrote:Aaron says alot of things, he's often wrong.
Curtis
DSUK Alumni
DSUK Alumni

Drives: EG6 SiR2

Postby saxman » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:54 am

octane boosters do help, but there's really no point in using them unless your car is tuned for higher octane gas than what's available at the pump
saxman
Ye' Almighty!
Ye' Almighty!

Postby Dave G » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:41 am

I think the injector cleaners are a good idea. I owned an 87 Prelude Twin Cam several years ago, and when started from cold, the tickover was about 1800rpm, which would slowly come down as the car warmed up. Over about 6 months (ie between services) the cold tickover speed would graduly drop, but once I put some injector cleaner in, it would soon be back up to normal. This showed me that the injector cleaner was doing something.

I think you only really need the octane boosters, if your car needs super unleaded but you are stuck with normal unleaded, or if you are running a highly tuned turbo motor and want every last bit of performance out of it.
Dave G
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
72.8%

Postby datman » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:07 pm

always use cataclean
datman

Postby CRXDel_Sol » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:41 pm

Ive always used ZX1

Great stuff!!! Goes into all things like engine (oil), Petrol cap for injectors, and gearbox!

Used it on a few of my cars and its done justice to them all!! Made them feel less gutless on pull off (well feels like it, only a bit), quiets the engine down, and get a higher MPG

My mate also used it and it helped shut his tappets up a a bit, the joys of a Vauxhall ay!! lol!
CRXDel_Sol

Postby delcol » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:11 pm

you shouldnt need to add any cleaning agents if you run your car on optimax as it already contains them..

as for octane boosters then its up to you.
delcol
DSUK Alumni
DSUK Alumni

Postby Cobra_UK » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:07 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.

I decided to use some injector cleaner, since I just got the car and I don't know how it's been run.

Can't be bothered with octane boosters and fuel sysem cleaners.

Just stick with optimax.
Honda CRX Cobra VTI
Cobra_UK
Progress to next rank:
96%

Return to DelSol FAQ