REPEATED MOT FAIL - REAR CALIPER EFFICIENCIES

Post here if you have any problems with any aspect of your Delsol.

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

REPEATED MOT FAIL - REAR CALIPER EFFICIENCIES

Postby TheTerence8 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:01 am

I am really struggling to get my 96 ESi Delsol to pass its MOT due to rear brake efficiencies (or lack there of).
I've changed the handbrake cables, put on new a set of new rear calipers and properly adjusted them (using the handbrake), bled the full system, scrubbed the rear disks and pads with 80 grit sandpaper.
Still failed.

I've now changed the brake proportion valve but I suspect it will still be a fail as there didn't seem to be anything obviously wrong with the old one when I took it off.
Retest is tonight so watch this space ...

Really the only thing left at this point to me is my ABS.
It doesn't work by the looks of it, it hasn't worked for a long time as there is no bulb in the dash for it.
If it comes back with a fail then ill start looking in to this.

Can anyone else suggest anything else that could be the culprit?

I found an old thread from years back someone mentioned the Load Detector?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24640&p=238766&hilit=load+detector#p238766

Any other thoughts?

My Delsol has a clean bill of health otherwise so this is really getting to me. :(

Thanks

Terri
TheTerence8
Progress to next rank:
15.2%

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

1996 Honda Del Sol ESi

Re: REPEATED MOT FAIL - REAR CALIPER EFFICIENCIES

Postby TheTerence8 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:23 am

Well I have now gave my soul to Mr Euro Car Parts and purchased two brand spanking new rear calipers, Brembo discs & pads too.
The last set of rear calipers I bought were as good as new but had to rule them out as the issue.
I spent more time adjusting the calipers and handbrake cables too.
Re-bled the system for the 400th time.
Took the car out a few runs in the middle of the night (private road of-course :P ) to let the pads bed in properly.
Went for my retest last night and she passed!
Rear efficiencies were better but still not brilliant, enough to pass though so ill take that!
Thank god!!
TheTerence8
Progress to next rank:
15.2%

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

1996 Honda Del Sol ESi

Return to Maintenance / Problems / Servicing