Fixing damp footwells

Links and write ups for anything on your sol. From engine swaps to fitting new lights

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Fixing damp footwells

Postby Monkey VTi » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:53 pm

I first noticed my drivers side footwell was getting wet a few months back, nowhere else as the rest of the carpet was bone dry!

There was a Honda bulletin for this problem:

Ok, I took my carpet out on the drivers side (I cheated and cut it under the centre console so I didn't have to take it out passenger side as well. I also cut away part of the foam backed rubber as it was also soaked and quite smelly. These were jetwashed and treated to some febreeze once dry!

I could now see a slight watermark where the water had run down the bulkhead / A post seam so knew it had to be
coming from above there.

Sticking my head under the dash with a mirror and torch wasn't a great deal of help as there is a lot of wiring and the fuse box there which would have taken some considerable effort to move.

Next step is to start removing some of the front bodywork to gain access to the inner wing that lets the water in. I took the mudflap and skirt off, followed by the front bumper and front wing. Store them safely so they don't get damaged.

You can now see two access holes on the chassis, inside here there is a seam. The photo here is shown after treatment as I forgot to take a picture at this stage (doh!).

If you point a hose in the larger of the 2 holes and point it slightly upwards and to the front of the car, I found that the water would literally run inside the car. I did this just to prove it was getting in through here. Although this hadn't been sealed correctly at the factory it had been treated well with paint etc as there was no rust at all.

Let the water dry. I now scrapped away the sealer around the bonnet hinge and anywhere else along those seams, particularly on the horizontal part of the seam. Here it is after I've refitted the bonnet hinge in place.

When I was happy that it was clean and dry, I forced loads of Tiger Seal into the seams, more than had been there previously. Pay lots of attention to where the seam curves around from being flat on the scuttle to coming doen the A post. I let this cure and then put several coats of aerosol underseal all around the inside of the access holes to fill in where I couldn't reach with the Tiger Seal, this was to seal up any smaller holes that may be in the seams. The access is quite restricted through the access holes as they are quite small in relation to a hand. Underseal can come off quite easily with water until it is dried properly so let it do so otherwise you will be undoing your hard work. I put in several thick coats so it would go into every little gap. I also put a bit of touch up paint on the new sealant so it doesn't stand out too much when the bonnet is up.

Once it is dry try again with the hose, water shouldn't come into the cabin now. If it does it may be that that you have sealed it sufficiently and had to do it again. It will be worth it eventually, especially when you have dry carpets and your windscreen doesn't need 10 minutes to de-mist anymore.

Here it is back together. I also took the oppertunity to de-amber my front indicators and fit clear repeaters whilst they were off the car.

Any questions please drop me a line!

Cheers

Lee
Monkey VTi
Progress to next rank:
32.3%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Re: Fixing damp footwells

Postby Ally Fish » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:25 am

Impressive work there Lee. I don't suppose Honda would have volunteered to fix that one on every car - only after a customer had kick up one hell of a stink at the service counter.

I'm a lazy sod and bung the Sol in the garage with a dehumidifier! It only gets driven in the dry and summer months these days...

The wife's 04 Jazz has started to get some damp smells inside (seasonal problem) - rear light clusters don't seal too well and water gets into the boot and the spare wheel well. Also runs forward into the rear seat footwell soaking the mats and carpet.
1994 Del Sol Sir (my baby since 2003) / 2004 Jazz 1.3 SE (Maddy's daily tractor) / 2007 CR-V 2.2 CDTi Exec (my daily tractor)
Ally Fish
DSUK Alumni
DSUK Alumni

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

1994 Honda Delsol
Drives: See profile signature

Postby Donhumbostoni » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:30 am

Did you remove the bonnet and hinge to do the job?
Give me a piece of wood and ill make you something beautiful! put a spanner in my hand and ill
get mad and start breaking things
Donhumbostoni
Chatty
Chatty
Progress to next rank:
25.4%

13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership

Drives: 1993, mix and match of del sols. Grand prix white

Postby Monkey VTi » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:35 pm

Donhumbostoni wrote:Did you remove the bonnet and hinge to do the job?

I unscrewed that side and propped it so it didn't move, it wasn't a windy day and the bonnet is quite light! That way it didn't take too much to get it into line again.
Monkey VTi
Progress to next rank:
32.3%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Postby battscrxvti » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:53 am

well worth a bump in winter weather
crx del sol breaker , also window tinting service
07749 478279 - karl
battscrxvti
DSUK LEGEND
DSUK LEGEND

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

1993 Honda crx del sol sir
Drives: 1993 captiva blue vti

Return to HOW Do they do that?