Not Del sol but B20b/vtec going into a mini.........

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Re: Not Del sol but B20b/vtec going into a mini.........

Postby Kam » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:35 pm

Sorry yeah if you pull the filter off you can see its been blocked off underneath
SiR_chris wrote:bet you wish you aint started all this now :lol:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Postby Paulm » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:53 pm

Ah gotcha :)
Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: 1992 greenish SIR B20

Postby Kam » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Another ten hours on it today, awesome! not! :(

Started off with getting the fuel sender replaced as my last one was only showing half on the gauge whenever I brimmed it and still half even after some rolling road action, did the obligatory paperclip test on the terminals and the gauge went to the max, had a new sender come through so got that done

Had some mounts come through (cheers Paul for the super quick delivery) but looking at the gearbox one on mine its gonna need time to take off as theres a helluva lot going on above it so will leave it for another time, just gotta put up with the banging on hard gear changes...

Red dots cones have now seemed to settle on the front after a couple hundred of miles so raised them up a tad, gotta take it to the wheel alignment place tomorrow to check its all fine

Managed to get the yoko a539 tyre replaced and chucked all four on, these are my mileage tyres, my 048's are now resting up!

I've areosol'd up the front end, its looking pure pikey now but I'm not bothered, its better than having primer or even surface rust on it! The bodyshop guy can tackle all that another time when I got the funds

Started on trying to fit these inner wheel arches, dam they should make some for 16 valver frames! Got them on finally thanks to some help from Mr Cable and Mr Tie, they are fully removable if the world demands it, driver side was cut higher for more clearance and so I can run some ducting to the air filter

Had quite a bit to chop off them to make them fit though, difference between A series and B series frames eh? :roll:

Slapped some temporary paint on the grille

Then took it out for a quick test lap, dam it flies now even on these A539's, only wheel spin I got was in second gear whilst turning and foot halfway down, in a straight line no spin whatsoever, it did wander a little bit on the straight when floored but as I've raised it a bit the alignment needs to be checked which I will get done tomorrow

I also 'accidentally' popped off throttle alongside an audi who had his window down as we was slowing down to some traffic lights, it was honestly a mistake but also out of my control but I think he took offence :lol: cue green light and we're off.......a5's are quick but not against a mini with hub caps ;)

It did well today so it earned some extra lovin back home to cool it down :cool: (man that sounds soooo wrong) :lol:

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg25 ... leman4.mp4

I'm supposed to be leaving for Le Mans tomorrow with the guys but thats not gonna happen now as I've been flat out all day and still got things to do on the car and still need to buy a ferry ticket!

Aslong as the car plays nicely tomorrow morning I'll get the wheel alignment done and maybe do a run to the docks n back to see how it is on the motorway, if its cool then I'll head out friday, but we'll see

Still fun - by a strand!
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Postby Kam » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:54 am

Well its been another one of those days, those days I said I would never let happen again, but yet again its been a mad rush, just like when I was getting it ready to go the 'ring after working all night its happened again

Started off taking it for a quick spin round the block, still having trouble with it popping out of 4th as the engine is sitting too far away for my short shifter, so had to lump it and move the engine positioning back a bit, so now its back to the diff knocking against the steering rack, the sooner I get rid of these utter tosh mounts the better...

Then popped it upto the wheel alignment place, it tracks nice and straight now but you certainly have to hold on when giving it some as the a539's don't quite have the grip of the a048's!

Then onto shops and stuff and noticed a bit more banging on the front, looks like the exhaust manifold is hitting the front panel, so back home front end off and angle grinder on! Chopped out a lump and it clears fine now

Back out to get some more bits and some more testing, still popping out of 4th, so back home front end off and adjust engine position AGAIN!, back out for a test and it seems ok so back home and decide to take it to Le Mans, bit of a gamble but sod it!

Been stuck in the garage since, ferry is in a few hours time and I'm whacked but no point in sleeping now, I think I've taken a bit too much stuff as the car is sitting lowwwww but the shocks have been cranked up a few notches so we'll see...

Over and out
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

I'm back from Le Mans :D and the cars back :D and even better, I drove it back 8)

Got in a few hours ago but I'm still buzzing, my only aim was to meet my deadline and make it there, but although there was problems throughout it even got itself back home, really liking this mini at the moment

Wow, what an eventful trip, in more ways then one, don't think for a second it was a simple trip there and back! Car had problems at the start and at the end and a few in between but considering its been put together by me it played well and got a bit more attention than I wanted...

First problem was about a minute from dover, a guy in a beemer pulls his window down in slow traffic "Oi mate your exhaust is hanging off" me thinks "interesting?" :| pull in and yep the rear rubber has pulled away from the hook, couple of cable ties with the rubber and job done, onto the ferry I go

Open it up a bit more on the frenchy roads, car was running sweet, plenty of three figures (I think it was kmh officer) ;) only problem was I filling up every 45 minutes or so, it was too hard to take it easy with this car. What was funny was a brit three car convoy and they were cruising at shall we say a comfortable speed ;) and I would vtec past them, pull in for some fuel and vtec past them again and so on, got a thumbs up on the third pass - job done!

Pull in to fill up (again) and a couple of guys behind me filling up walk up and say "What you got in there?" I told them a-series, its just been tuned up a bit with some high lift cams, he goes "nah no way" so I said check out the wheels? have a seat and check out the interior? he sits in there (glovebox is closed) and starts off with the traditional "this takes me back, I used to have a mini............" anyway he's happy with it, glad he never asked me to pop the bonnet :P

Hit Rouen just before rush hour, not good, stuck in so many jams and was watching the temp gauge tentatively, only upside was a girl in a white mini pulling up alongside in traffic waving frantically, I wave back and then leave a long gap ahead of me - then vtec'd past her with some added pops - job done!

Finally made it to the guys in the campsite

Bonjour! Le Rio-Tec is here!

Say hello have a beer then couldn't wait to get the front end off to sort some stuff out, only two of them knew I had a honda engine, the others didn't have a clue, was a bit of a surprise! :shock:

These engine mounts were getting worse, going into second at traffic speed jolts the whole car, you can litterally feel the engine hitting everything and almost pin point the the type of sound, I knew one was coming from the front but that wasn't exactly hard to spot - rad beens poked by part of the bonnet

I've bent a small section on the bonnet so it clears now but there was more than enough clearance before so I know the engine has rocker more on these mounts, if anyone is in any doubt about why I moan about these mounts being utter tosh done by a prick well here you go

Anyways, I'm here now, so join the others for race day, the food was so bad at this place they named it twice...

I haven't got alot of photos/vids, got a couple of night vids, don't mind our dutch friend, he's one cool cat

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg25 ... nt=246.mp4

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg25 ... nt=247.mp4

Get back to the campsite about 2am to find one of our crew is in A&E???? He had bit to drink all day and stood up lost his footing and he went over on his ankle, he's fractured one bone and broke the other :( In the morning none of us was really in the mood for the race, he's ok now and back home here, his wife will not be pleased! :roll:

Finished off a few more niggles with the car, had quite a few people keep turning up to have a look at it, yes its nice but sometimes you wanna just be able to get on with things, grabbed a few shots whilst working on it

Back on the road on the way back and car is moving along nicely, still rattly as hell, but I decide to take it easy, only filled up twice aswell, did have a play with some french guys in a civic, what that means is I vtec'd past them :) they pull up alongside and we both floor it, yeah that was an easy one :lol:

Finally make it home 8) but not without problems :( everythings reading fine on the gauges and I'm starting to think "dam I've nearly done it, I'm actually gonna drive it home!" I get out to open the garage door and when I get back in the car the oil pressure is reading about 4psi and dash oil light flickering.......errrm ok, quickly pull in and shut off and find the obligatory oil leak like you do on a mini...

Sump plug is dry, as is the oil pressure/temp sender units, its coming from higher up, I can only think its the oil filter which I can't really get to it now so will try another time

You can always tell when you've had a good drive, the plate splats :)

No rush on the car now, I'll get the bits that need attention as and when

The mini proved itself and suprised me once again, really liking this car 8)
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:46 pm

I found the oil leak, its coming from the vtec oil feed pipe at the block end (the head to block pipe) need to take the alternator off and maybe the inlet to get to it, I'll take my time with it as no rush now
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby solman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:24 am

Good work Sir, A series my arse :D
Did you know DSUK are on:

Image Image Image Image

solman
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

Drives: Crystal Black FK8

Postby Curtis » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:39 pm

i do love the sound of an A series though
ImageImage
Jut wrote:Aaron says alot of things, he's often wrong.
Curtis
DSUK Alumni
DSUK Alumni

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

Drives: EG6 SiR2

Postby Kam » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:02 pm

solman wrote:Good work Sir, A series my arse :D

Curtis wrote:i do love the sound of an A series though

But guys I still have an a-series! :wink:

I am still proper psyched the car made it there and back 8)

Not really much to update, I've whipped off the inlet to get at the oil leak, also looks like one of the braided brake lines has been getting scuffed when the engine was rocking back n forth because of the failed mounts, it had plenty of clearance but another component was rubbing against it so just waiting on a new braid to come through before I tackle that

As for the mounts, well, during the build you needed a pry bar to move the engine, currently I can do it with one hand.......

Got some new mounts from the USofA, billet, lightweight, 75a shure rating, usual bells n whistles, I think these will hold up better than i-jokes ones

I won't be able to use the rear one though as its only got three mount points so will continue to use the allspeed one, but will check to see if I can maybe use it with some spacers and a plate, I won't explain now

I'll tackle the mounts now and then the oil leak and once the brake line comes through I can get the inlet back on and fire it up and go hunt some boxsters again!

No rush though, boxsters are ten a penny...
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby SiR_chris » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:05 pm

How long does it take to remove the entire front end to work on this engine? lol
I thought my bay was tight lol

How do you get on with engine temps btw?
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: '92 H2B SiR, '02 CW DC5, '06 Black Sport Jazz

Postby Kam » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:53 pm

SiR_chris wrote:How long does it take to remove the entire front end to work on this engine? lol
I thought my bay was tight lol

How do you get on with engine temps btw?

I've got it down to about 7 mins now :D just a PITA to do thats all :roll:

On the motorway it sits at 170F (76C) and in standstill traffic on a hot day the fan kicks in at 201F (93C) and highest temps I've seen in traffic on a hot day is 209F (98C), I've never seen it hit 210F (high 98's) its always cooled by then, its got a high powered 10" pull fan and just under half of the rad is covered behind the headlight/wing/grille, so cater that in and it don't get much ram air :shock:

But on the road even after a hard drive its working, on a track we'll see, but I can always get my second smaller rad fixed up and hooked up if needed, can't remember the oil temps but Daz assured me I don't need an oil cooler
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:36 pm

Thought I'd tackle the oil leak today whilst I wait for the braided brake line to come through the post, I figured it would be a simple spanner on and tighten up kinda thing, obviously what I figure and what is actually happening in the world are two very different things! :roll:

I didn't even have to tighten it up, it felt kinda loose then dropped off on its own accord!

Its sheared away, the other end bit is still in the block! not good! Strangely I wasn't even panicking???

Calmly put a grab-it bit in

No room for a drill unless I pull the engine out, obviously that aint gonna happen! Strangely I wasn't even panicking???

Put some mole grips on, no joy, then moment of genius, another grab-it (to grab the grab-it) bit and some spannerage!

No panic, all calm here

Looks like the weight of the t-piece holding the oil pressure sender, oil temp sender and oil pressure switch in that single outlet even with a securing bracket was too much hence it giving way, surprised it lasted for 900 odd miles though...

Gonna get a sandwich plate now to hold the two senders and still use the single outlet as it was but now just holding a lightweight oil pressure switch, might need a stumpy oil filter though as clearance might be tight with a sandwich on but we'll see

Funnily enough someone told me it might not hold and put pressure on the pipe, its only funny if your reading this and not typing it...
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:09 am

Picked up a new oil feed adaptor for the block, got it in steel this time! also had my sandwich plate come through, comes with different fittings, M20 will do just fine

Mocked up fitment, best I can get, which is basically no clearance!

Then time to crack on with the new billet mounts, if you haven't got a press or suitable vice then don't even bother trying to squeeze them into the allspeed brackets, I got a vice here but its only a small size hobby one, got there in there end

Gearbox one went in finally aswell, rear mount is a no no, theres no clearance on the allspeed plate to squeeze it in, so this billet one aint gonna happen, even one set of holes don't line up as there is some bracing on the frame in the way

I aint gonna make up any plates etc so I'm gonna keep the original allspeed custom one in, thing is though when I was getting engine positioning I didn't even have the rear one in and the engine didn't drop whatsoever when the jack was pulled away - man these are one strong mounts!

Unlike the ones that came out

I've also welded up the front section of the exhaust as the clamps were getting in the way, bit more clearance and all that malarky

Then carried on with fitting the oil sandwich plate and all its gubbins, the plates holding the oil pressure sender and switch, the take off has just got the oil temp sender as its uber light so there should be no problems this time, fag paper clearance stuff here...

Good thing though on the b20 block is the lack of factory oil cooler between the filter and block, which means I got enough room for the adaptor plate and a full size filter and I can still get my filter wrench on aswell before I hit the bulkhead

Ran some new braided brake lines (with protective sleeving) in the front as the last lot got scuffed from other components rubbing against it, then got the inlet back on

Everythings going together sweet, but I know when not to count my chickens....

Filled it up with some temporary oil, took out the plugs and spun it over, got pressure within a few cranks, check for leaks, all cool....still not counting those chickens yet.....

Went to undo the sump plug and it kept spinning and spinning and spinning and spinning and spinning and spinning, I think you know the rest :(

Managed to pull the sump off, even though its still fill of oil

Drained it but couldn't get the sump plug out, lots of shavings round there, looks like the battle between a steel plug and ally sump did not go so well for the ally side......why its done this I don't know, I never do the sump plug up tight because of stuff like this

Anyways, this is my baffled sump from my old b16 so I grabbed the sump that was sitting on the b16 - the one that came with the b20

No baffle in there though so I'll get a baffle kit from ebay and find someone to tack it in for me as I've only got a MIG here, but as I'm not doing any trackdays or exuberant driving I'm fine to run without one in the meantime

For the allspeed guys, if you are having trouble pulling the sump free with the engine in and find it clipping the frame/tie bar bolt then if you have studs in the passenger corner then take it out and just replace with a 10mm bolt like on the others

Sump comes away and goes on freely then as its only that corner stud that gets in the way

While I wait for the new baffle kit and a new magnetic sump plug and get someone to weld the baffle in I'm gonna throw the car back together and try and nab a test drive beforehand just to check oil pressure on the move, also because I miss driving it!
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Paulm » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:15 pm

mig is fine to weld in the sump baffle, done it on mine and no probs whatsoever, it only needs a few tacks :)
Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: 1992 greenish SIR B20

Postby Kam » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:32 pm

Paulm wrote:mig is fine to weld in the sump baffle, done it on mine and no probs whatsoever, it only needs a few tacks :)

Really? cool, I'll get on its case as that saves me some hassle

Cheers
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

PreviousNext

Return to Ongoing Projects