Not Del sol but B20b/vtec going into a mini.........

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Re: Not Del sol but B20b/vtec going into a mini.........

Postby johnrnugent » Tue May 29, 2012 8:22 am

Good luck :D :D
johnrnugent
DSUK Jester
DSUK Jester

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Drives: Honda Jazz Sport. RED VTi TT

Postby Kam » Tue May 29, 2012 7:11 pm

Bish bash bosh all done

:mrgreen:
SiR_chris wrote:bet you wish you aint started all this now :lol:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Postby battscrxvti » Tue May 29, 2012 7:41 pm

is the sump baffled???? do it ive blown 2 now , i would def say if havent got one get one
crx del sol breaker , also window tinting service
07749 478279 - karl
battscrxvti
DSUK LEGEND
DSUK LEGEND

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

1993 Honda crx del sol sir
Drives: 1993 captiva blue vti

Postby Kam » Tue May 29, 2012 7:49 pm

2!!!! :shock:

Yeah mines baffled, it's actually my old sump from the b16 I ran in this before
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby battscrxvti » Tue May 29, 2012 7:53 pm

two just blew my b20 up on sunday , bottom end blew again
crx del sol breaker , also window tinting service
07749 478279 - karl
battscrxvti
DSUK LEGEND
DSUK LEGEND

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

1993 Honda crx del sol sir
Drives: 1993 captiva blue vti

Postby solman » Tue May 29, 2012 9:06 pm

How is the venting now?
Did you know DSUK are on:

Image Image Image Image

solman
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

Drives: Crystal Black FK8

Postby Kam » Thu May 31, 2012 1:06 am

solman wrote:How is the venting now?

Drove back from the MOT place which is about 10mins away and let the fan kick in twice when parked up at home, the mocals seemed fine? Before (without mocals) it would smoke before the fan had even kicked in on its first cycle after start up

I'll check it again after a good drive as I've only gone to the MOT place and back so far
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:07 pm

Wahoo I had my first breakdown today! such joy! I've christened the new build, I feel so proud of it!

Actually I've been pulling over every few mins and checking everything is fine under the bonnet and under the car and carry on etc

Found a fuel leak by the fuel rail, time to investigate, straightaway you can see fuel coming out from under the rail and I got a nice little fuel trail behind me - awesome!

Whipped off the fuel rail and saw what the problem was, the OEM rail spacers are meant to sit under the rail but with the skunk2 inlet this very slightly raises the rail which in turn doesn't seat the injectors well, so then put the rail direct on the skunk2 inlet and put the OEM spacers ontop so it could clamp it down with the nuts done up, problem was the OEM spacers don't fit well in the AEM rail recess so just made up the gap with some washers

With the rail on you can notice the injectors sitting now more within the rail and inlet gap, prime up and start up all done

Only half the alignment got done due to time, most of my day got wasted messing about with the fuel rail so gotta take it back tomorrow to finish off, the difference already is like night and day, hit some good speeds on the way back on the motorway, by good speeds officer I mean cruising at 50 and wanting to overtake, half throttle down in fifth took 3 seconds to get to 70, still got to degree the cams in and the rolling road session to go so good good

Life sucks limited to 5k! I clipped vtec once in my excitement and it was alot more aggressive when it kicked in than the map I had before with the b16, definitely could feel the difference as the car lurched forward, exciting times.....

First gear already I can tell is fine with half throttle, but banging into second and flooring it is just asking for trouble so I think I'll wait for the alignment to be finished first before I try that one again!

Definitely need a middle silencer, off throttle it fire crackles away like a Le Mans car! which is good but gets tiresome after a while, and probably scares other cars and pedestrians - like I care ;)

Little teaser in the tunnel, its only 10secs long so don't get a semi

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg25 ... align2.mp4

Verdict so far? Impressed but looking over my shoulder all the time....
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Curtis » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:59 pm

you wanna make sure you have cured that fuel leak.... ;)

ImageImage
Jut wrote:Aaron says alot of things, he's often wrong.
Curtis
DSUK Alumni
DSUK Alumni

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

Drives: EG6 SiR2

Postby Kam » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:32 am

Curtis wrote:you wanna make sure you have cured that fuel leak.... ;)

:shock:

All done

Its been one of those days, them days where you just spend all day driving around in your mini, my legs hurt, my arms hurt and I've got a huge frickin headache - god its good to be driving a mini again! :cool:

Started off with getting the wheel alignment finished off this morning as the guys ran out of time last night, running 1 neg camber front, half neg camber rear, zero toe front and 1 degree rear and have 4.5 castor, will take it back after a couple of weeks to let the red dot donuts settle down but so far...... :cool:

Then onto a honda place to pick up some transmission oil, the ever faithful main dealer stuff. I've currently got land rover fluid in as I got it for nothing so thought I'd try it out as I was told its the same thing

Not liking the way the gearbox is talking to me, the last time I put some Millers in the box it was choppy and town driving was dire, its the exact same now with the land rover oil as when I had the millers in, regardless of what engine is bolted on the gearbox will behave the same and I know what my y21 box is like, so picked up some honda mtf

Then back onto the M25 to minspares to pick up some carpets and soundproofing and some brightwork, and got a yoko a539

Then back on the M25 to more places, finally got home and checked over the car. One problem I found on hard changes is the engine mounts, they are meant to be polyurethane filled but I think the guy used polyfilla instead as they are bad, real bad, I think he has shafted me on these......

I know I got 5mm clearances around the bay so first thought its just everything is packed in tight but you can move the engine with a pry bar and it moves a bit more than 5mm....

Will source some mounts now as the combination of the mounts and the gearbox oil is ruining my driving pleasure round town and with my clearances in the bay I need those mounts on top of there game :(

Anyways, at home I got bored quickly so went back out for another drive! :lol:

Took some vid footage but they all came out poo so just stuck with this one, I clipped vtec in third just after I set off at 2m11, I'm still limited to 5k max revs and it sucks big balls! The car is so willing to go its hard not to floor it to hit 8k but needs must! :rolleyes:

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg25 ... idedit.mp4

Done about 30 miles yesterday and around 170 today, squeaks rattles knocks and bangs all still there :D

Next job - get all the yoko a539's on, these a048's are giving me too much cocky confidence out on the road :(
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:08 pm

Car done about 200 miles friday/saturday with no probs, yesterday it starts spluttering under gentle load? got a rolling road break-in session tomorrow so didn't need this right now :( after some huge stress and some much needed help from a fellow forum member its sorted, TPS was out, adjusted and all back to its normal self :mrgreen:

I was also using some land rover transmission fluid in the box, I've always stuck with honda mtf but thought I'd try this instead as I've been told its the same stuff, well guys I assure you aint! With the land rover fluid the box was choppy and off throttle surges quite bad, put some ever faithfull honda mtf in and guess what, gearbox is back to its old way again, smooth changes and off throttle has no surges whatsoever, it really did make a massive difference :shock:

As you can tell I'm not a fan of the land rover stuff now :roll:

It might be alot cheaper than honda mtf but theres a reason for that! So if your using a y21 non lsd box (watsons final drive or not) stick with the tried n tested stuff, honda know what they are doing here... :cool:

Picked up some silicone hoses and some heat shielding earlier from Burton Power as my current intake pipe was getting a bit too hot for my liking as the heat can't escape anywhere under the bonnet, so gonna try and wrap the new hose and see where I stand

Got a few things to finish off tomorrow then if all goes well take it to the rollers, I haven't had a chance to degree my cams in yet but tomorrows session is just to break the engine in, steve said if we got time we'll sort the cams out, if not then that'll be another time when the engines got some good miles on it

If the engine blows up or something goes wrong (I have history with rolling roads!) then don't expect an update tomorrow...
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:05 pm

Didn't get to break the engine in on the rollers :( I was booked in for 3pm yesterday for a break-in and power run but the day before I was having some issues with it spluttering under load, idled fine but not under load, checked all I could but found nowt, thankfully got some help from The Matt and he said check the throttle position sensor, checked it and it was off, after some kerfuffle I got to it and adjusted it and it was idling fine, took it out for a spin and under load it seemed alot better but still not perfect, I figured if I can nurse it to the rollers the next day then they can sort it out!

So yesterday morning I thought I'd finish off the interior (really critical for a rolling road tune!) :roll:

And decided it was time to tackle the air filter, it was sitting right up at the inlet manifold practically touching the underside of the bonnet and there is waaaaay tooooo much heat up there so picked up some heat wrap and some bigg-ass hoseage and plumbed it up

Ran a duct pipe to it which is not so discreet from the front! :P

11am and all going fine, I'm not booked in till 3 and it takes about 45mins to get there, all going sweet, happy days! I've done all I can so time to take the car for a quick spin and see how it is.........it was worse than the day before :( I can't even get out of 1st :( tried a couple more things but no luck, checked TPS and its still on 0.50v and re-calibrated the throttle pedal on the laptop after and still nowt.....

12 noon call up the tuners "I'm having problems getting to you" he says do what you can and keep me informed your not in till 3"

Start it up and on listening to the engine I can hear what seems like the exhaust leaking at the Y piece, place hand and yeah its leaking, try nipping up the clamp and snap.......clamps gone, oh great I really need this right now, thank you! :(

Jump on bike and go hunting for an exhaust clamp, get one and get back and fit it and start it up.......leak has gone yeeeeaaahhh!

Leak has gone but still bogs down under load :( its now 3pm call up tuners "I'm still struggling here" he says "we've still got one on the rollers from earlier and its taking longer than we thought so keep trying and let me know how you get on" now I'm stuck, I aint got a frickin' scooby what it could be and can't even think straight, for some reason I'm staring at the boot lid at this point and start thinking fuel?

Pop off the fuel filter and theres still fuel in there so point it at the bin and blow into it, it comes out but not as flowing as I thought it would be? luckily I've still got my old fuel filter here I used on the b16 (from a 3.0 v6 laguna) so I top that up and blow through it and it spouts out quickly? The filter I was currently using was from halfords for an audi, so back on bike to motor factors and pick up a filter for an audi rs6, get back install it and it starts up fine, take it out for a spin an guess what? running smooth as under load, great but now its 4.30pm :( so zip it upto tuners, literally threw all my tools and gear and got there about 5.30, great, expect this bad boy noble who was booked in for 6pm is already on the rollers.....

Spoke with the tuners and he said "you never called me to say you was on your way otherwise we would've waited?" he had a point, I was rushing around and was glad to get the mini moving I forgot to call them, either way I'm here now, I asked "any chance I can put my bigger injectors on whilst you mess around with that thing?" he says no problems, if you hang about we'll get you on after just to make sure they are running fine, sorted

I was still running the b16 injectors (240cc) which for run-in is fine, but I had some RC (370cc) which I wanted in there so in the car park I change the injectors over in a whizz and as I'd never seen a noble up close and personal I thought I have to have a gander, turns out the owner used to have a z-cars hayabusa lump in his previous car (which was not a mini)

Guess how much his road tax is on his 2.5ltr v6 twin turbo 165mph road car? £180, guess how much I paid for road tax last week on my little ickle mini? £220

Moral of the story, if you want cheaper road tax than a mini, but a noble! :lol:

Anyway, had to get the obligatory footage, he was getting a stage 2 expecting 340hp

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg25 ... rolls4.mp4

351hp with 333 ft lbs, oh yes mummy! And he's going to Le Mans next week :cool:

Noble finishes on the rollers at 10pm then my turn, I turned round and said "No breaking-in, no power runs and just map it upto 5k revs only so I can finish off running the engine in" I had a gut feeling and as I have a history with rolling roads I thought I'd play it safe as my day was not going well so far....

One big problem I had before the rollers is these dam engine mounts, poly filled? yeah right. I've changed the engine position four times in the last two days and still no luck, these mounts are toilet and the guy who done them is already banned from the forum (another forum) for shoddy work, yep I agree

Anyway, the best I can do is to get the diff 10mm from the steering rack but now the clutch slave hits the front bar on start up, other problem is having it that far away means it sometimes doesn't go into or pops out of 4th as I've got a short shifter and the engine is sitting a bit too far away...

You can see here on the rollers how much the engine moves, oh and that noise near the end was the result of the shoddy engine mounts - alternator pulley was clipping the bodywork even though there is a generous amount shaved away from there...

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg25 ... rolls5.mp4

Managed to shift the bodywork a bit so it clears but still needs attention my end, this one again just shows how much the engine moves off throttle, what you can't hear is all the banging/knocking on the other side where the rad is sitting close to the wing

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg25 ... rolls6.mp4

This one is just for my own personal satisfaction, just incase this car don't make it to Le Mans next week I can still hear the off throttle LMP1 car pops but in a mini sort of way :D

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg25 ... rolls7.mp4

Was fun driving back, people can't make heads or tails of it - my job is done....

Car has been mapped to 6k, I said I'm changing at 5k anyway as its still run-in miles, he said aslong as your nuts n bolts hold up you'll get there, I said do you know who your saying that too...

Car runs sweet now, but still 50/50 on taking it, still got a few things to do so we'll see, but I did get my ticket come through so make that 90/10 ;)

I'm not gonna apologise for the long useless post, I've had a complete 'mare with this when I didn't need it, also I got in from the tuners at 1am this morning and was due in work at 7am then back on the car after work, I am really happy at this point, and I need to take it out on someone, you happen to be in the way

Next job - sleep
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Paulm » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:28 am

Nearly there dude :)
One thing i have noticed, what's that mini filter doing on the intake manifold where the pcv normally plugs in?
Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: 1992 greenish SIR B20

Postby Kam » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:14 am

Paulm wrote:what's that mini filter doing on the intake manifold where the pcv normally plugs in?

10 points to Paul, out of everyone who's read this build on here and other forums your the first person to notice that...

Theres 3 vacuum pipes on the skunk2 I don't need so they've been blocked off, that PCV pipe was one of them but was an eyesore hence the dummy filter
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Paulm » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:58 am

Surely that's causing major issues on idle though? Unless you've blocked it off then put the filter on?
Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: 1992 greenish SIR B20

PreviousNext

Return to Ongoing Projects