My del sol sir project

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Re: My del sol sir project

Postby Graham27 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:11 am

Yup whole car will be that colour before its back on the road! Just about got this running again so will post some more updates next week :)
Graham27
Progress to next rank:
46.5%

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby hoppi05 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:25 pm

wow that bay looks wicked buddy keep up the good work!!
hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

Postby Graham27 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:45 pm

Thanks! Had a busy few weeks but been getting some more work done on this. Got everything under the bonnet just about connected up, had some trouble getting it to run again but a bit of wiring and it starts and runs as it should! Started cleaning up a mugen manifold I had in the garage, need to repair the bottom of it but looks so much better than the standard cast jobby!

Whilst the suspension is off I wanted to clean up the inner arches at the front, some minor corrosion and flaky undersealing so stripped it almost all right back and will start painting them next week, followed by getting the suspension back on to test the gearbox and things

I also bought another del sol to use for spares, but if anyone needs parts feel free to ask! Got myself a nice new daily too!

Graham27
Progress to next rank:
46.5%

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby SiR_chris » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:42 am

8) 8) Welcome to the Teg + Sol club :D Not a bad daily huh!

Man those inner arches are going to look mint! 8) How long did it take to take off all the old stuff and I assume it was a bit messy!?
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: '92 H2B SiR, '02 CW DC5, '06 Black Sport Jazz

Postby Graham27 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:27 am

The Integra is great! Not quite as practical as my old Audi avant but a lot more fun! It didn't take long really, wire wheel on the grinder, was pretty kitted up with full face mask, ear defenders, overalls, thick gloves :lol: most of the corrosion was starting at the panel joints so had to get it all off for access to them
Graham27
Progress to next rank:
46.5%

Postby Graham27 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:29 am

Got the front wheel arches stonechipped, happy with how they came out!

Image[/

[URL=http://s5.photobucket.com/user/graham615/media/bit%20bap/3A24362D-7569-4562-9927-A08DA8CF8328_zpsiwmaevpd.jpg.html]Image

Got a set of volk te37s for the car too, will hopefully have the suspension back on and have it driving next week so will get it out the garage and get some better pics

Graham27
Progress to next rank:
46.5%

Postby SiR_chris » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:48 am

8) awesome mate, are you coming to japfest?
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: '92 H2B SiR, '02 CW DC5, '06 Black Sport Jazz

Postby Graham27 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:01 am

Yeah I've bought a ticket, hoping to bring the delsol but if it's not ready I'll need to take the Integra!
Graham27
Progress to next rank:
46.5%

Postby Graham27 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:36 pm

Spent most of today doing odds and ends on this, got the front suspension all refitted and it back on 4 wheels for the first time in a while. Driveshafts etc all fitted, new wheels which fit really well! I wasn't 100% happy with the gear stick mount piece I had, so since I have a sol for parts decided to cut that one out instead, turned out to be a much better panel and happy with how it fitted

Cleaned all the sealer off and this panel is fitted differently to the integra one I cut out, so drilled the spot welds out and fitted it into the car

Then cut out a small piece for the old cable holes and tacked that in, then sealed both panels

And finally refitted the linkages, everything lined up perfect and goes into all the gears as it should - glad to get this done, as is hopefully one of the last mechanical changes needed for the swap!

Going to get cracking with repairing the rear arches next and get the car painted as soon as I can really!
Graham27
Progress to next rank:
46.5%

Postby Graham27 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:39 pm

Been flat out on this over the past couple weeks, really hoping to have it finished in time for japfest next month and there might be a chance still...

Got the car out of the garage and had a good tidy up - need to make the most of every square cm when you've only got a single garage :lol:

Got the rear all stripped, came apart fine again. My neighbours love me :lol:

So onto the arches... they weren't terrible by any means, and hadn't ever been touched which is what i really wanted when looking for a car in the first place. I bought eg civic rear arch repair panels expecting most of it to be similar... probably would have been better starting with sheet metal :lol:

Cut the original arch off, was so surprised at the condition of the inner structure - ive never seen such good inner arches and sills

This is a section from the outer panel that kinda shows just why these are notorious for rust, outer looks relatively clean, inside is just minging

Onto fitting the new arch

Inner arch prepped and zinc primed, same with the inside of the repair panel

Not exactly a welding masterclass but does the job! Was more bothered about getting good penetration, but not warping the quarters like crazy than how neat a weld it was. Had to make some outer sill panels next

Inners again really amazed by the condition!

All the welding done on that arch, time for some catty

Graham27
Progress to next rank:
46.5%

Postby Graham27 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:55 pm

While it was jacked up started sanding down the rear panel, was looking really crusty and crap

Got the car shifted over and made a start on the drivers quarter

This side was just as clean inside

Next i started these wee bits under the back lights, had seen the holes from inside the boot when i bought the car and thought it would be a simple job, turned out to be where 3 skins meet and was just rotten in the joint, of all 3 :roll: luckily the scrap sol had pretty good panels here so i could use them and leftovers from the eg arch panels too

So after that was done i needed to clean up inside the rear arches and under the spare wheel well, rear subframe etc, so that i could redo the stonechip. I love doing this :|

Welded up a small crappy bit where 2 skins join

Prepped the rest and ran out of sheeting so had to use bin bags :lol: then went mental with the stonechip, same stuff as i used on the front, really happy with the finish

So thats where im up to now. Going to let that dry thoroughly then fire the suspension back on the back, test fit the rear bumper and side skirts and finish off my repairs then prep the rest of the shell for paint. Its going to get painted in just over a week so next week will be choosing which panels im going to use and getting them all repaired and prepped, hoping itll be painted pretty soon and i can get the car rebuilt as forgot the MOT is also due soon, just another thing to add to the list!
Graham27
Progress to next rank:
46.5%

Postby lxstuart » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:09 pm

Good progress there 8)

SmithYo wrote:bollocks to wd40.... bita spit normally works a charm ;)

crazyasswhiteboi wrote:was worth the effort, just needed a little wriggling when putting in...

Image Not always SFW
lxstuart
DelSolUK Moderator
DelSolUK Moderator

15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership

Drives: '96 Milano Red SiR, '95 Legend Coupe

Postby delsolchippy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:11 pm

Doing a good job mate, keep up the good work.
delsolchippy
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
0.5%

1994 Honda Delsol

Postby gwhoo4t » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:38 pm

I love the way bits of your car keep disappearing and then re-appearing!

Good progress 8)

Gaz
gwhoo4t
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
54.8%

13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership

Drives: '92 Black VXi TT Auto

Postby hoppi05 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:59 pm

Wow some great work buddy
hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

PreviousNext

Return to Ongoing Projects