'92 captiva blue vti

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

'92 captiva blue vti

Postby muttonchops » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:30 am

I picked this up last Wednesday (25/03/15) looking like this:

So far, I have changed the brakes and given it a service and driven it a bit, handled like a boat so put my old coilovers on. Unfortunately they are shot, but on the plus side my new coilovers and polybushes turned up today so they will be getting fitted tomorrow provided its not raining. :D

Plans aren't very extensive with this at the moment as not fussed about power, but have a list I want to get done rather sharpish (want to get as much done over the bank holiday, but got a wedding to go to Saturday which will scupper some plans).

Plans so far are to:
Fit coilovers and polybushes
Fix rust
Spray and fit sideskirts (to replace existing ebolaids skirts) and front bumper lip (cheers battscrxvti)
Spray and fit jdm rear panel thing (cheers solrider1985)
Fit new intake to replace ebay rubbish
Fit tyres to other wheels and put on car
Enjoy driving
Track it
General tidy up as and when

I want this car to handle well, so I have gone against my preferred choice of dishy wheels for a set of one of my favourite designs which also happen to be quite lightweight for the size (might be going against the purists, but the replacement wheels are 17").

I plan on keeping this updated so that I can keep track of what I have done, so with that in mind, updates and pics to follow over the weekend.

Cheers for reading so far and if anyone has any suggestions (or would like to do all the work instead of me),please let me know.
muttonchops
Progress to next rank:
50.5%

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

Drives: 1992 UK Vti

Re: '92 captiva blue vti

Postby muttonchops » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:34 am

Knew I'd forget something, also have to fit stereo and speakers as current set up looks and sounds like it was installed by a blind 2 year old cat (in saying that, my cat has been strutting around lately as if he's got a job......).
muttonchops
Progress to next rank:
50.5%

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

Postby solman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:08 am

If you are tracking it or doing some spirited b road jaunts your enjoyment will be killed by stock brakes, 282s on the front are a must, long term they will save you money as the pads are more widely available and far cheaper as are blank discs, I pay £15 for ebc ultramax pads and find them perfect, expect to pay double for 262s and get lousy performance. Reconsider 17's wheels, cost of rubber and extra weight will not be good, generally in total you will burn 1 tyre on a track day. A cheap budget 15" is £30 a corner, premium 15" tyre £45-50? Semi slick £80. 17's gotta start at £60 at least probably more for plastic ditchfinders! Weight wise you'll be adding at least 3-5KG on each corner and harming the Sols nimbleness :)

Get a full alignment, before spending out on handling mods, it will help you make better decisions about what you should be doing, its probably never been done and will improve the stock setup no end.
Did you know DSUK are on:

Image Image Image Image

solman
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

Drives: Crystal Black FK8

Postby muttonchops » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:20 am

Alignment is already booked in for next Saturday (group event on sxoc so taking my 200 and this).
New wheels (17's) are going to be for road use and was going to look for some 15 or 16's for track use. The 17's I've got to go on are lightweight wheels and I get a very good deal on tyres. Track time will be very limited in this as already booked in for a few days with my other car, probably only going to do 1 or 2 this year in this.
I wasn't sure what brake upgrades were available, so thank you for that, I shall add it to the list.
I'm pretty much following the plan I had with my 200 in regards to handling wise (my 200 has quite a few upgrades in terms of power and braking though).
muttonchops
Progress to next rank:
50.5%

Postby muttonchops » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:10 am

@solman, the 282s, is that just discs or callipers and mc as well?
muttonchops
Progress to next rank:
50.5%

Postby solman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:37 am

Discs and calipers, many do a larger mc as well, I've never done this on mine, the peddle is a little softer than I'd like but still fantastic and hasn't caused a problem. Do the lines if you can as most hoses have seen better days and get a cylinder stopper.
Did you know DSUK are on:

Image Image Image Image

solman
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

Drives: Crystal Black FK8

Return to Ongoing Projects