SiR_Chris; Exterior & Interior Mods

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

SiR_Chris; Exterior & Interior Mods

Postby SiR_chris » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:04 am

Instead of clogging up my engine build thread I thought I’d start a separate ‘exterior and interior’ thread to keep track of this aspect of my Sol :) I’ll begin by briefly running through the history then onto the new stuff and future plans 8)

This is how she looked when I first purchased her back in 2005. It was running on some damn ass heavy 17’s and some unknown lowering springs, with some Scooby seats dubiously mounted inside :roll:

Within 6months I had purchased genuine front and rear polyurethane MS designs bumper lips and fibreglass sideskirt copies along with some second hand gunmetal Rota Attack alloys. I took her to Chris @ Imagination Creations in Hurst to have a full respray in Pirates Black which is a stock Honda colour used on the MB6’s and Accord Type R’s – a deep purple pearl which really pops in direct sunlight. Along with a range of other subtle mods which include:

- Custom smoothed rear plate panel (filler delete)
- Ariel delete & smoothed
- Lock delete & smoothed (handles and boot)
- Badge delete & smoothed (front and rear bumpers)
- Number plate fixing delete & smoothed (front bumper)
- Silver Mesh added between rear lip and rear bumper
- Silver Mesh added in front bumper grill
- Alloys refurbed and sprayed in Pirates Black to match

That is how it pretty much stayed until another 6 or 7months later when I started to work on the interior. I hated the Scooby seats – they were too big for the cabin in my opinion and grey is a boring colour, along with the fact they had not been fitted particularly well. So I sourced some S2K seats for £50 which had really ripped up and dirty leather along with poor side bolsters :?

I had them sent off to a recommended trimmer in Leicester along with great condition replacement side bolsters and he did a fantastic job retrimiming them, and got rid of the seat belt holder too in the process. I also had the door cards and rear trim done in red to match all for about £450! :D

A few interior projects followed, most of which have their own dedicated threads in this forum for more info but they included a dash project, where I mounted an 8” LCD into the centre where the vents and heater controls were and added some recessed gauges in the top:

And a custom centre console with chrome oval trim so I could use my HU at the time (which had a motorised front & interfered with the stock console cover);

I also worked on a custom fibreglass enclosure for the rear bin, on which I did a how-to here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13816

And custom A-pillars to mount my tweeters:

Then came the rear speaker corner trim modification:

Other than that, I have just been adding a few mods over the years including clear side repeaters, chrome indicator bulbs to de-tango the headlights, LED interior bulbs etc., tinted windows, bought an OEM bonnet bra and sprayed the rear lights with red-tinted laquer:

and then obviously the custom bonnet bulge required to clear the larger H22 engine profile last year:

:)
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: '92 H2B SiR, '02 CW DC5, '06 Black Sport Jazz

Re: SiR_Chris; Exterior & Interior Mods

Postby kenco » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:10 pm

Love it, great looking inside and out with the power to match. What future plans do you have if any. As I said love it as it is.
kenco
DelSolUk Trainee Moderator
DelSolUk Trainee Moderator

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

Postby solman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:41 pm

Any excuse for a bit of pic whoring, and why not! You love it!
Did you know DSUK are on:

Image Image Image Image

solman
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

Drives: Crystal Black FK8

Postby SiR_chris » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:47 am

So fast forward to today, I have a few other additions/mods to reveal :)

The biggest one is a change in look at the front. I have always thought the auxiliary lights on the DelSol were one of its most notable features but I started to think they made the Sol look a bit ‘soft’. I need a meaner ‘demeanour’ to match the car’s much higher performance so decided to take the plunge and smooth them out. This was later justified with the need to remove the aux lights to fit my custom radiator infront of the slam panel as discussed in my engine thread recently :idea: . The number plate mounting holes were also smoothed out at the same time along with the Honda badge;

Having gained inspiration from a few other Sols, I decided to change the front lip to a Spoon replica. The original MS Designs front lip looks quite tame in comparison (as well as me getting bored?) and I think the new lip still matches the rest of the styling. This is not made specifically for the Sol so an EK facelift lip was modified to fit the Sol bumper and is also polyurethane like the MS Designs lip – I would never put a fibreglass lip onto my car!

Last but not least, I decided I no longer liked the meshed-out front grill so, to add a unique quality to the front end, I had the bodyshop cut out the central section of an EG front bumper, turn it upside down, and plastic weld/graft it into the standard Sol bumper! This all sounds rather pointless – but my reasoning is simple. I wanted either end of the standard ‘mouth’ opening to angle in towards the top like this /…..\ which we as humans tend to perceive as an unhappy face. It turned out to be easier to take a standard grill section that was angled like this already and graft it in than to modify the standard bumper and cut the grill to suit.

Standard EG front;

Being grafted into sol bumper, upside down;

Complete with lip prior to primer and paint;

Painted and fitted to car:

I will mount my red TRS Tow Strap into position as below;

And I’m thinking that I’ll mount a square plate to the side of the grill with a removable bracket so it looks mega smooth with no plate at shows. Will have to knock up a cardboard template to get an idea of ideal size.

I’ll try and get some better photo’s when (if) the sun comes out to play, but I personally love the new look! :D
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby whirly » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:14 pm

love it too... :)
whirly
Chatty
Chatty
Progress to next rank:
20.6%

Postby Glovermx » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:09 pm

That bumper looks absolutely awesome Chris! very unique! :)
My Ongoing Vti Project Here
Glovermx
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: 2004 Nissan 350Z Gun Metal Silver

Postby solman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:38 pm

Matches the rest of the car, great work and individual as always!
Did you know DSUK are on:

Image Image Image Image

solman
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

Drives: Crystal Black FK8

Postby battscrxvti » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:56 am

Love the new front kid and the eg grill works great
crx del sol breaker , also window tinting service
07749 478279 - karl
battscrxvti
DSUK LEGEND
DSUK LEGEND

1993 Honda crx del sol sir
Drives: 1993 captiva blue vti

Postby SiR_chris » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:33 pm

Thanks guys. Luckily the police don't seem to bothered about lack of front plate so far haha. Should finish knocking up the plate bracket and my new square plate should arrive by this weekend.

In terms of new interior mods, I have just finished trimming my roof lining to match the rest of the red interior and fitted the black plastic interior I bought a while back for a bargain price!

So first I dismantled the roof;

And then pulled off the original boring grey material from the backing board (so as to not increase the thickness when I come to fit the new leather ontop and prevent the trim clipping back in)

Picture of it mid-trim:

I decided to paint the grey roof trim surrounds as well whilst I was at it, to match the rest of the black interior:

All glued up, and re-assembled:

And fitted in the car along with the rest of the black trim:

Whilst I had the leather and glue out I re-trimmed my rear centre section panel to match the corner speaker panels (they didn’t use foam so the centre portion was raised a bit and softer) – something that bugged me for ages! I usually hate trimming as I am too impatient but luckily these went quite smoothly :)
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby crazyasswhiteboi » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Wow you've really gone to town with this and put some crazy amount of man hours in and i appreciate that. Love all the custom interior stuff, good work. But in the 8" lcd setup how did you use all your heating and blowers etc?
EJ2 SOLD
EJ9 SOLD
EH6 CURRENT

crazyasswhiteboi
Progress to next rank:
61.6%

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

1994 Honda Del Sol ESi

Postby SiR_chris » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:55 pm

crazyasswhiteboi wrote:Wow you've really gone to town with this and put some crazy amount of man hours in and i appreciate that. Love all the custom interior stuff, good work. But in the 8" lcd setup how did you use all your heating and blowers etc?

Cheers dude, yeh I like making custom things haha :) At the mo I have the heater controls in the passenger footwell so can still use them. However I didn't use them at all during the summer so I disconnected them and put them in the storage bins. As I plan to take her off the road over winter and only use in dry weather I am thinking about removing the heater matrix entirely if/when I come to tuck the engine bay. Undecided on that still though.
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby SiR_chris » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Whilst the bumper was in paint, I decided to get them to paint my sub box too, so I ripped off the old leather which was starting to peel anyway, smoothed it down and prepped ready for the bodyshop to lay on the paint. It does look stunning in Pirates Black and is a shame it is hidden behind the seat in a way!

SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby SiR_chris » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:59 pm

Took a few more photo's of the car whilst it decided to stop raining long enough. I have mounted my plate and the tow strap. However I'm undecided about the square plate and may revert back to the rectangular plate in the middle. Thoughts/opinions?

SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby battscrxvti » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:09 pm

RUDE!!!!:)

Not much too say here apart from that lad
crx del sol breaker , also window tinting service
07749 478279 - karl
battscrxvti
DSUK LEGEND
DSUK LEGEND

1993 Honda crx del sol sir
Drives: 1993 captiva blue vti

Postby SiR_chris » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:26 pm

Recently got round to updating my dials. I decided to try out the standard bulb-to-LED replacement method instead of purchasing expensive new dials, and they look much better than I was expecting to be honest. Here are the dials removed from the car and the LEDs I used:

At the same time I decided to fit some of those chrome dial ring surrounds that I received several Christmas’s ago!;

I really like the final effect – funny how something so small can make a big difference. Everytime I look at them I think it has really brought the dials into the 21st century!
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol

Next

Return to Ongoing Projects