'92 Prelude Daily Driver

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

'92 Prelude Daily Driver

Postby lxstuart » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:44 pm

This is pretty much a cut and paste from the Prelude forum, but though some peeps might find it interesting.

Well seeing as its not far from finished, perhaps I should start uploading pictures.

Lets start off with this one, how my project started off.

That'll polish out.

SmithYo wrote:bollocks to wd40.... bita spit normally works a charm ;)

crazyasswhiteboi wrote:was worth the effort, just needed a little wriggling when putting in...

Image Not always SFW
lxstuart
DelSolUK Moderator
DelSolUK Moderator

15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership

Drives: '96 Milano Red SiR, '95 Legend Coupe

Re: '92 Prelude Daily Driver

Postby lxstuart » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:45 pm

Well after the accident, the Lude went and sat in the garage for about a year.
It then went and sat on the driveway for easily another year. The settlement eventually came through, and it sat there a bit longer.
After getting off the train one day to find another scratch in the CRX, I decided I needed a beater to leave in the station car park. I then realized that I already had one, it just needed fixing up a little. I thought I could probably fix it up for less than it would cost to buy a new car.
So I set to work. Some pictures for you.

First thing to do was to get off the panels that were beyond repair, and anything else that was in the way, so I could get a better feel for any underlying damage.

Front looked reasonably good, as did what I could see of the rear.
Next up, I made a start trying to get the rear quarter panel back into shape. I only got so far before realising I would need to remove the wheel so I could swing my hammer properly inside the arches. So after moving it down to the garage, whilst nobody was looking, I carried on where I left off.

That'll do nicely.

crazyasswhiteboi wrote:was worth the effort, just needed a little wriggling when putting in...

Image Not always SFW
lxstuart
DelSolUK Moderator
DelSolUK Moderator

15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership

Postby lxstuart » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:46 pm

Well as you may have guessed, some of the panels were a tad beyond repair. The door and front wing for certain, and I decided to replace the front and rear bumpers too, due to the corner screw holes being split. Found a nice chap just a few miles from me, who was breaking a Lude in his back garden.

First thing to go on was the door. Now as the replacement had come off of a UKDM car, I wasn't sure how much of the loom was the same, plus the central locking solenoid looked very much aftermarket, so I decided it might be best to transfer the entire contents of the old door into the new one. Thankfully the impact hadn't damaged anything, and other than being a complete pain in the ass, it was relatively straightforward. Next came the weatherproofing, mine had come away in bits, on both doors. Honda wanted stupid money for new ones, so I decided to make my own.

I bought thick rufuse sacks, cut down one side and opened them out, and used the jigsaw of the old one as a template, this was then stuck in place with Tigerseal. In hindsight, it would have been better to try to find some clear stuff, as it was a bit of a bugger trying to find holes for screws and clips.

Using a jack, a knee, and a pair of hands, I managed to get the door on. I'd marked up where the hinges were on the old door, which got me close. Just a couple of adjustments were needed to get it sitting (near enough) straight.

Closes the gap up nicely, you can hardly notice it...

8-)

Image Not always SFW
lxstuart
DelSolUK Moderator
DelSolUK Moderator

Postby lxstuart » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:47 pm

With the rear quarter back in position, it was time to get a coat of paint on.
I'd had to plug a small hole that opened up when pushing out a creased part, which the beady eyed may well spot. Using wet and dry, I removed all the loose paint and rust I could see, before giving it a good few coats of primer.

I thought about leaving it like this, but then remembered that primer tends to be a little bit porous, so decided to seal it with proper paint.

Next job to be tackled was the brakes. Being an F-series the standard brakes were 262s, which are seriously under powered on a car as big as a Lude. I managed to get hold of a set of 282s from Nitin, which I set about cleaning up and painting.

Carrier de-rusted prior to painting

All painted up

Obviously this meant I could no longer use the current discs, so I wandered down to my local stealer to get bent over for some new discs.

Not entirely sure that picture adds much to this thread, but I thought I'd include it anyway.

All fitted.

Took an absolute age to bleed the brakes, mainly due to me letting a huge amount of air into the system. This in turn led me to believe that the master cylinder had died, and swap that over. It only got sorted when I bled it using a vacuum bleeder.

Image Not always SFW
lxstuart
DelSolUK Moderator
DelSolUK Moderator

Postby lxstuart » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:48 pm

The trouble with a red car, is it doesn't go well with silver. So with this in mind, I decided to spray a few panels.

There were more pictures, but unfortunately I managed to loose the phone that they were on :cry:
To sum up, the panels I replaced got painted satin black (plus the boot, cos it looked silly if it was still red). Yes, I know Satin black has been done before. I've now done it too.

With all the bodywork done, I took it for an MoT to see what it would fail on. Predictably the blowing exhaust didn't go down too well, and neither did the number plate on the dash, but other than these there were only minor things.

I decided to finally fit the DC manifold that has been in my garage for at least 3 years, and Nathans old exhaust. Didn't go quite as smoothly as I planned, firstly spending about a day trying to remove the manifold from the downpipe, and secondly finding that the DC and the Nathan didn't quite mate up.

A few pics of the exhaust that came off....

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Yep, it was pretty shagged :lol:

So got the new one fitted, eventually, and sorted the number plates.
Got a new MoT.

Insured it.

Tax'd it.

Drove it 8-)

Image Not always SFW
lxstuart
DelSolUK Moderator
DelSolUK Moderator

Postby lxstuart » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:50 pm

Image Not always SFW
lxstuart
DelSolUK Moderator
DelSolUK Moderator

Postby sol'd out » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:30 pm

What happened to young lady on the door?
sol'd out
DelSolUK Hero
DelSolUK Hero

16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership

1996 Honda Delsol
Drives: 1996 frost white VGi

Postby lxstuart » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:39 pm

Still there, just no pictures of it.

Image Not always SFW
lxstuart
DelSolUK Moderator
DelSolUK Moderator

Return to Ongoing Projects