Black DelSol SiR restore/build - going H2B!!!! (UPDATE 2016)

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Re: Black DelSol SiR restore/build - going H2B!!!!

Postby Car3stash » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:29 pm

hoppi05 wrote:It's a spoon rep and it came with the car so I am not sure I may have a receipt in the file if you need to know I will pull it out for you just drop me a pm buddy

thanks mate, PMed :)
Car3stash
Progress to next rank:
31.3%

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby hoppi05 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:17 pm

Not had chance tonight will look tmoz evening buddy
hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

Postby hoppi05 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:17 pm

Not had chance tonight will look tmoz evening buddy
hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

Postby hoppi05 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:57 pm

Ok it been a couple of weeks and since the engine was test fired we found an oil leak which has been diagnosed today and unfortunately it could not be fixed today which is delaying getting the car back on the ground.

so the oil leak is/was coming from the oil cooler seal, this was a new honda seal replaced when we started to put the block back together but unfortunately it looks like it move whilst it was being tightened and when removed today its was split in two :( ....

the gear linkage pin was finally back in and the wiring for the resister box changed to a better solution
the rad stay was fixed
coolant pipes fitted with exception of the rear pipe as i need to get a new one made
we fabricated an air intake and heat wrapped it
relocated the fuel filter and created a bracket to secure it
relocated map sensor
did a coolant bypass mode and vacuum mode
secured the hotwire earth leads
fitted the defi water temp pipe into the top pipe

still need to fabricate throttle cable bracket and fix oil leak to refit the drive shafts and mounting kit

hopefully next week we can get all four wheels back on the floor and get all the lubricants in the system and start testing it and checking the timing etc as its a tad rough at the moment.
hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

Postby hoppi05 » Sat May 02, 2015 7:06 pm

so the newly fitted water pump has funcking failed!!!! so engine is back out gutted! so i will have to get a new one next week... :evil:
hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

Postby hoppi05 » Sun May 17, 2015 10:14 am

OK

so for some reason the rear engine mount was playing silly buggers for over an hour yesterday and i need to get that off my chest the fuuuuuuuuuucking thing lol

so now i have that over with lets start with a useful update...

Timing belt refitted with manual tensioner reset with all lines an notches meeting TDC
New heater hose in place after the old one DID NOT want to come off
Tegiwa brake stopper fitted HOWEVER the bolt supplied was too short!!?? FFS :evil: so we made our own :geek:

Engine was then ready to be fitted which took a lot longer than it should which is explained very well above :lol:

We also wanted to try and improve the angle of the manifold exit as it was pointing slightly north and not straight so the vice and a bit off heat was used to do some gentle persuading? :?

all ancillaries are now refitted all pipes back on, Rad in, harness clipped back in ready for a refill and hopefully NO leaks and long runs next week!!! :D

we did have some issues:
the alternator i got from someone off here has a 4 rib pulley whilst the Euro crank pulley is a 5 rib which when i got the part number for the Prelude belt this was also a 5 rib so god knows what alternator i have got here??? anyway we took the stanley knife to the belt and removed a rib or two (for now)

also with the alternator the top securing bolt head snapped off whilst fitting :evil: it is in far enough to hold this alternator in place however removing this should i ever need to is going to be a major arsehole lol

also with the alternator we cannot find the lower adjustment securing bolt/bracket :evil: IF ANYONE HAS ONE CAN YOU PM ME A PRICE POSTED PLEASE....

We also broke the sensor clip on the air temp sensor :cry: so again if anyone has one can you PM me a price posted.... or if you know if this is not needed? i am sure it is what i may do is once its running put a blob of glue on there...

ok i think that is the end of the update/moan and tapping here are a couple of pics of were we left it yesterday...

cheers all
hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

Postby HowHard » Sun May 17, 2015 3:36 pm

Bloody hell mate, not much bloomin luck have ya!

Looking very good though and soon be on road to enjoy your hard work n swearing, it'll pay off :)
HowHard
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
4.3%

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Drives: Green + matte black, d16y8

Postby SiR_chris » Sun May 17, 2015 6:29 pm

Just think, it will feel all the more better and more satisfaction when it's all done and all these hurdles are behind you :)
Keep goin dude!
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: '92 H2B SiR, '02 CW DC5, '06 Black Sport Jazz

Postby hoppi05 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:08 pm

lol cheers lads i hope so cant wait to test run it next weekend!! i just hope that we have seen the end of the leaks!!!
hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

Postby hoppi05 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:51 pm

Ok so we got the engine running again tonight see the YouTube video below as you will here once we revved the engine it started to hunt which we thought was an air lock and it is however we also saw bubbles and hissing from the thermostat housing so on inspection the new thermostat and new seal was not a good fit luckily I have a new Honda thermostat seal in my box of bits so that will be fitted tmoz and the cooling system refilled. There may also be another water leak however it was too hard to tell with the leak from the thermostat housing. I will be placing a nice bit of sealer on the new seal also just to make sure ;)

https://youtu.be/-0x0HDN0sG8
hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

Postby hoppi05 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:38 pm

Well some good progress yesterday and today :D the car is back on all 4 wheels finally....

So the hunting wasn't an air lock I will try and explain the root cause. So as soon as the car got warm it started to hunt from 500rpm to 2.5k rpm just a steady bounce. We bled and bled the system to no avail so we looked elsewhere as we had last week. So there was no vac leak which we could easily test by covering the inlet throttle body and the engine cut out, basic but it tells us a definitive answer. So we were really starting to struggle when we disconnected the IACV sensor the hunting then stopped we got a cel but no hunting as a side effect the car sounded rough not bad but not as a clean tick over as you would expect. We then reconnected the sensor and the hunting returned? We powered off the car disconnected the battery to reset the ecu. Once reconnected we restarted the car this time we removed the temp sensor that connects to the end of the inlet chamber on the righthand side if you are looking straight on from the front of the car. This had the same result a cel a rough idle but no hunting?? We did the disconnect and reconnect of the battery and tried the same again with both sensors on and off in different orders and together with the same results, once put back to normal the hunting retuned.... So we somehow deduced it had to be the IACV as this is the only electronically controlled part of the throttle body workings. We removed it and other than being a tad mucky it all looked ok. Whilst rummaging through the spares box we found another h22 IACV so we fitted that as it looked in good order and low and behold car ran without an issue!??!?!

So not entirely sure what was wrong with the original IACV but something was a miss?

To note we have done a vacuum loop/delete and the coolant bypass.

Either way the car run perfect other than the timing and idling which needs tuning correctly by a pro not us ;).

So after that we run the car got it to temp and decided to drop it and test the gearbox as shown below:

https://youtu.be/RNgnFy7YL8c

After the test we have found another coolant leak but this should hopefully be a much easier fix.

We also fitted 15mm hub centric hubs to the front which required the original studs to be shortened to 2cm each but made the fronts fit perfect. hopefully tomorrow I can check the rears to see whether to order 15 or 20mm hub centric spacers?... I will use the old basic spaces to judge which to get.

So still a lot to do but the gearbox and clutch work so thank you to the seller's I got them from for there honesty, tbh the clutch felt and bit like new :)

To do

Shorten the air intake pipe as the filter is hanging lower than the engine :oops:

Fix water leak

Secure all loose hanging harness bits

Rewire the hids

Refit the bonnet hopefully it shuts lol

Take it for some test runs

Get the timing tuned by a pro

There is a lot more to do also but i am not listing everything
hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

Postby hoppi05 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:19 pm

well it is finally fixed :D 8) the hesitation faults were the knock sensor and the fact we must have forgotten to tighten it up :oops: :twisted: :roll: :lol: so a lesson learnt the hard way and the fact our checking wasn't as good as we thought or should have been!

anyway now up and onwards i can get back on track and finish the other parts off whooo!
hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

Postby hoppi05 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:43 pm

AAAAARRRRRR this bloody Knock Sensor again lol

so its was working better but on a proper test drive Saturday and as soon as you try and push the engine there is a drop in power and the tone of the engine drops a lot deeper and drones and then the engine management light comes on and i get the following code

so i am thinking of doing the following as it is something i would have done in the future anyway. So buy a P28 from HTUNE with H22A base map with knock sensor disabled that way i wont get this code and i have an ECU i can get the car tuned on.

i think that will hopefully finally cure the code above and if there is another underlying problem which is not throwing an engine code i can see then whilst tuning they will hopefully find it.

any feedback welcome...
hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

Postby hoppi05 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:03 pm

OK so i have done some shopping on h-tune and ordered a chipped P28 with the knock sensor deleted and the added bonus of launch control :) i will let you know once i have tested it so fingers crossed everyone!

hopefully then i can get to the custom exhaust garage to get my system made!
hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

PreviousNext

Return to Ongoing Projects