Black DelSol SiR restore/build - going H2B!!!! (UPDATE 2016)

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Re: Black DelSol SiR restore/build - going H2B!!!!

Postby hoppi05 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:09 pm

also did a video of the hondash app running if anyone in the know can look at some of the info on the screen i.e. ignition timing etc and let me know if it looks ok. and the app works great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1lvRYr7RvQ
hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

Postby hoppi05 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:46 pm

some videos of it finally running on the P28 with a H22A basemap:

New system booked in just deciding on 2.5" or 3"??
hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

Postby SiR_chris » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:51 pm

H22's love free flowing exhausts so 3" from that respect! However I hate really loud exhausts so compromised at 2.75 (or maybe it was 2.5, man I cant remember lol)
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: '92 H2B SiR, '02 CW DC5, '06 Black Sport Jazz

Postby Stevelangdon93 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:15 pm

Got a problem with the indicator relay? They seemed to be flashing double time in the video
Stevelangdon93
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
3.8%

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Drives: 1992 VTI Captiva blue

Postby hoppi05 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:06 pm

no indicators are ok the drivers side one goes on the blink sometimes and when it thinks there is a bulb down it flashes double time but when i checked at the weekend they were all ok fingers crossed lol

Chris
i have been told about 3" but other than loud there £200 more than the 2.5"???
hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

Postby SiR_chris » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:08 pm

Yeh I guess price comes into it, are you buying an off the shelf system then? I'd recommend Alan @ Solid Fabrications - excellent mandrel bends and welding. He did my whole system inc down pipe and even manifold
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby hoppi05 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:18 pm

cheers buddy that a 3 n half hour drive for me i will stick with the local option of 25 mins :) when i get there Wednesday i will discuss with the guys there and try some negotiating lol
hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

Postby hoppi05 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:42 pm

So a big update need as I haven’t really done one since JAE, so in short the Sol was still not running right after JAE and continue to throw up some blanks on all the checks we had done whilst the engine was out the second time when we made some more changes. So I took the option to take it to a friend’s garage in Middlesbrough (Evil Tuning) to get it plugged up and on the dyno to see if that could tell us what was wrong. And it did :(

So firth thing to tackle was the ignition timing as the H2B conversion removes the timing marks completely so no pints to time against on the gearbox as the conversion uses a ITR flywheel and the H22 does not have timing marks on the crank pulley like the B16 so there was nothing to check the timing on. Luckily Pete (Evil Tuning) put his thinking cap on and devised a way to add the timing marks correctly to the Euro R crank pulley.

Whilst doing this it became quickly apparent why when fully advanced it wanted 8 degrees more. A tooth had slipped at some point during the swaps and testing or more likely we did it fking wrong and why when we checked the 2nd time we did not see this is beyond me so pfffff.

So as the fit is so tight in this and the car was no longer in our garage the only way to get the cambelt is to pull the engine out and we needed to find a way to do it without doing that so the thinking caps came on again and we decided to try and more the gear a tooth over whilst in the car. To do this we secured the belt to the correctly aligned gear and then removed the cam securing brackets on the out of line cam and tilted it towards the belt form the opposite end so it barely kept in contact with the belt and after some fiddling Pete managed to get it to slip a tooth back :)

So once that was done it was put back together and the timing was setup using the newly fitted marks and it worked spot on.

So it went onto the dyno for more runs than Pete or the Sol probably liked as he had it nearly 2 weeks and tuned the hell out of it to get it all bang on and it made 239.6 bhp on the most accurate run and setup. To say I was over the moon is an understatement :)

IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/hoppi05/IMG_20160118_212137_zpsuktzs9ov.jpeg[/IMG]

Against a tuned S2000

...::VIDEO::....

[youtube]https://youtu.be/8MeClWeaRPQ[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/8MeClWeaRPQ

The results are good as the engine is bone stock other than a CAI and the butterfly’s removed from the intake. The flat spot you hear on this particular video is the wheels spinning on the dyno .
Also had a new exhaust system fitted at the backend of the summer which looks great however I am not so keen on the sound to be honest it has an annoying rasp at 2.8k and that bugs the hell out of me. This is a full 2.5 system from the PLM header to the back box.

Shot of the CIA

I have also got the sol some new boots as traction on the ITR 15” wheels is now a problem, so I got some Wedssport SA90’s 16” 8J unfortunately they came with 225 50 16 tyres that were way to big for the sol and I am waiting for my new Hankook tyres to turn up so I can get them fitted. I have gone for 215 40 16 after a test fit proved they were the best solution. The fit is very tight and the spacers were no longer required as when they were on it looked like the A-Team van lol

Spacer off lol

Some decent sized rubber on one of the rims to test fit as the other tyres were just huge ( had been on a Skyline before).

Really that’s all there is for now the next thing to fit is the electric power steering as I cannot live without on the sol it’s a nightmare to be honest. So I have a saxo/107 electric pump and need to find space to fit it and plumb it in so that’s one for the summer when its warmer.

Oh wait we did some flow tests on a OEM ATR inlet against a bored out OEM H22A inlet manifold with a plenum plate in place to see what the flow rate differences were and the stock H22A with the plenum in flowed much better and more air when compaired to the ATR intake, so if anyone is looking to upgrade from our tests the OEM intake with a bit of work is much better. Please don’t ask me a lot of technical stuff on this as it was a couple of month ago and honestly I have forgotten as this is not an area I understand greatly if I can find the flow rates and details I will post the for anyone interested.

hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

Re: Black DelSol SiR restore/build - going H2B!!!! (UPDATE 2

Postby Car3stash » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:09 pm

One of my favorite build threads. Do you happen to have a shot from down under the front bumper?
I just wanna see how the front lip is bolted on as I finally got a spoon rep lip as well with which I received kind of like "Z" shaped brackets to use to bolt on but I don't really like it. I would be happier if the lip would be directly mounted to the bumper and trying to figure out how I can do that.
Car3stash
Progress to next rank:
31.3%

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby hoppi05 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:21 pm

Evening buddy only just signed back on and seen your replay @Car3stash, the lip was on before i got the car so in all honesty i did not fix it in place however from having the bumper off numerous times the lip is bonded to the bumper so removing mine probably isn't an option but its solid :) i may have some pictures i will look and post them for you.
hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

Postby hoppi05 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:13 pm

some more updates for the tire art from TireBomb and the new rubber fitted and wheels on:

ALSO FIXED THE HEAVY POWER STEERING WHOOOOO - there was excess fluid stuck in the column removed the nuts (i still have the cuts from doing that :twisted: ) and the fluid shot out whilst reversing off the drive :mrgreen:

hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

Postby hoppi05 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:21 pm

hoppi05 wrote:Evening buddy only just signed back on and seen your replay @Car3stash, the lip was on before i got the car so in all honesty i did not fix it in place however from having the bumper off numerous times the lip is bonded to the bumper so removing mine probably isn't an option but its solid :) i may have some pictures i will look and post them for you.

from looking at the one picture i have of the inside of the bumper when off this looks to have been screwed in at either end on the inner edge and then bonded with something along the inside of the lip and smoothed over the top like a sealer of some kind like you would do your bath. When i have the car resprayed i had the bumper and lip done as one piece as there was no way it was coming off without damaging the bumper.
hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

Postby SiR_chris » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:49 am

I considered doing the tyre stickers too, really like them mate! Let me know how long they last, did they adhere well?
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby hoppi05 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:03 pm

yeah adhered really well the glue was stupidly strong!
hoppi05
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
3.7%

Postby solman » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:10 pm

Looking lovely, wheels suite it well better than the olduns look forward to seeing your handy work again this year!
Did you know DSUK are on:

Image Image Image Image

solman
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

Drives: Crystal Black FK8

PreviousNext

Return to Ongoing Projects