My MK2 turbo restoration

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Re: My MK2 turbo restoration

Postby tubbyandy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:28 am

Bit more progress but not moving as quickly as id like due to supply issues with some of the bits i need!! Even things like the local motor factors providing me with the wrong CV boots is holding up the job!! Then as we have three CRXs and two Moggys worth of spares in boxs i lost my clutch slave cylinder :evil: :evil:

Anyway, downpipe and hot side intercooler pipe temporarily fitted so i can knock up my -10 AN oil return. Made sure it was far enough clear of everything despite the rom. The downpipe will also be wrapped to try and improve engine bay temps a little.

Action shot, making new bosses for the widebang lambda in stainless steel and also making some high tensile 3/8 UNF bolts to bolt the turbo up to the manifold.

Few bits going on in this one. Firstly the obvious we got the turbo blanket and various fittings on. The turbo came from Scott at H-tune and i really cant recommend it enough, great bit of kit and fits very well even with the lack of space. New clutch slave cylinder fitted and braided line made up. Finally i removed the heater port from the head as were not having a heater in the car and welded on a -6AN fitting so we can run the turbo water feed neatly from an easy to reach source.

Trial fitted the filter and inlet manifold so i can knock up a new intercooler pipe across the engine bay. Its getting a touch tight in there now and trying our best not to damage any of the paint!!

To be fair it was this close in the delsol with no issues but this gives you an idea how tight everything is!! Heat management is definatey a priority with this build.

I know this looks a bit of a rats nest but again theres so much to fit in ive had to make as best a job as i can so it wont leak. The red pipe is my new water bypass pipe, the silver heat tube is anti-chaff for the turbo oil feed from the oil pressure switch. Its all there is just not 'pretty', once again a bit of function over form im afraid.

And finally the Wilwood master cylinders all plumbed in. Just waiting on Opie oils to send me my clutch, brake, gearbox and engine oils and i can start commissioning systems!! Also you can see the -6 feed and return fittings poking through the bulkhead which i can start plumbing in next inside the car.

The Sol has passed on but its 370bhp heart is soon to live on in a MK2 CRX track car :-)

298.7whp (350-370bhp) + 220wtrque @ .9BAR GT3071r with more to come on the new build
tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership

Postby Kristoffer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:38 am

Shes coming along nicely man
Kristoffer
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
64.3%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Drives: N/A

Postby tubbyandy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:19 pm

Well heres the last update up to when ive come back to work. Hoped to do more but its been hectic at home and really busy catching up after my time away.

Finished off the turbo install at the front end. Downpipe wrapped, wideband fitted, just need screamer making up now and a suitable exit decided on

Made up some pads for the intercooler and dropped that into place

Not fully buttoned up but heres a bracket we designed. It bolts the intercooler bracket up solidly but the extra bracket supports the bonnet to bumper edge of the bumper to give a bit of rigidity at speed.

Front bumper fitted up (temporarily to get it out the house). Intercooler air plates sprayed up black and corner lights fitted. Opinions welcome

Shows a bit of the clearance. By cutting the bumper ive been able to shift the cooler forward giving me a few extra inches for the pipework.

Rear lights fitted, rear bumper bar painted black and rear bumper temporarily fitted.

Final job on the car i decided to p-clip the brake lines. They look much better organised i think and itll make designing the centre console easier.

As usual all comments and opinions welcome :D
The Sol has passed on but its 370bhp heart is soon to live on in a MK2 CRX track car :-)

298.7whp (350-370bhp) + 220wtrque @ .9BAR GT3071r with more to come on the new build
tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership

Postby Curtis » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:49 am

looking great mate, whats the box in the radiator hose? Some form of heat exchanger?
ImageImage
Jut wrote:Aaron says alot of things, he's often wrong.
Curtis
DSUK Alumni
DSUK Alumni

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

Drives: EG6 SiR2

Postby bstarky1981 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:37 am

Just had look at this project. What a massive overhaul. Fantastic work. Wish I had the time and skill that you have to do something like this. Top job.
My project so far---- viewtopic.php?f=37&t=33437
bstarky1981
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
42%

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

1993 Honda CRX Del Sol VXi
Drives: 1993, blue, crx delsol 1.6 vtec

Postby tubbyandy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:39 pm

Curtis- yeah mate its a water to oil heat exchanger. I hate oil coolers and these are far more efficient. Haha starky i was out of the UK for 8months last year so time is definatey not on my side!!

tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

Postby Curtis » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:22 am

does my OCD no good but i like the function over form ;)

the boost pipes in the bumper not being symmetrical i would have to sort though :lol:
ImageImage
Curtis
DSUK Alumni
DSUK Alumni

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

Postby tubbyandy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:57 am

Haha unfortunately running 3 inch intercooler pipes means they have to run where theres room. Again function over form. It doesnt bother me coz you wont see much of them on track hahaha

tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

Postby Curtis » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:49 am

you must be able to match them up, even making the one on the left match the one on the right if its tight? Would make it look so much cleaner
ImageImage
Curtis
DSUK Alumni
DSUK Alumni

Postby tubbyandy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:24 am

Nah ive had to custom make them. The right hand as you look at it is a 180degree through the chassis leg, the left hand is a straight with two 90s in it. I could even them out but it would mean sharpening up the bends. I dont really want to sacrifice flow just to have those bits the same as it doesnt bother me. the main part i wanted right and symetrical was the cooler itself which is bang on. the rest is fit for purpose which is my priority with this build

tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

Postby tubbyandy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Well its back to work so im back to small updates few and far between!! Firstly i made a bracket and fitted up my lightweight washer bottle. I was going to go with a bag one but the weight difference was negligeable.

Got the radiator cleaned up. It was starting to tarnish as its been on the car for about eight years. Its a fantastic bit of kit though and i didnt want to replace it purely because it had some surface oxidisation. Need to reattach the Spoon badge on the cap too.

Got my alloy plate painted up last time i was at home so this weekend i fitted all the fuel system components to it including a 1litre swirl pot, pre and post pump filters and a Bosch 044 inline pump. I then fitted this to the car on some anti-vibration mounts so the pump wouldnt be damaged by the cars vibrations. I also started looking at mounting points for the battery, which i think will go behind the passenger seat.

Finally my fuel filler pipe was looking seriously shabby so i stripped it all back, shot blasted it and then painted it the same colour as the cage to blend in. Ive also started to make a rubber/alloy cover for where the feed and return lines go down from the swirl pot to the tank.

tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

Postby C-Rex » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:36 am

WOW!!!

Only seeing this now what an amazing build! Such attention to detail gonna be one of the best, cant wait to see it coming together now
C-Rex
Progress to next rank:
67.7%

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Drives: 1992 Black SiR Del Sol

Postby tubbyandy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:05 pm

Few pics and progress from a week ago im just a bit slow updating!! Started sorting the support struts for the ally dash. Made fom ally angle so theyre nice and strong but light and spaced so hopefully they wont vibrate too much.

Then i got the alloy cut and folded at my dads work and had a trial fit. I wanted it fairly chuinky looking at theres so little in the car i wanted it to dominate really.

Already managed to get most of the fuel system in. Heres the plumbed in system and the location of the new dash.

Fuel lines now fitted and p-clipped into place. I much prefer the p clipped look as its miles neater.

Trial fitted my seat and a mock up centre console so i can make sure i can reach all my switchs and guages. Then started drawing them all out.

Masking tapes to stop me scratching the alloy while i draw up and mark all the guages and switches etc.

tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

Postby tubbyandy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:40 am

Well progress has massivly slowed but theres a few bits happening! Bonded in the framework for the dash after cutting the various holes for guages etc. Drilled some holes for p-clipping and cable tying wiring etc

Also started sizing up and cutting my screen demister into the top. Ive used these little kit car units before and they clear the screen so well for such a smal cheap unit

Got the powersteering fitted up and made the brackets to take the steering column control unit. Also modified a Delsol accelerator pedal to fit a nice distance from the pedal box and fitted it to my seat position so its comfortable and easy to use.

Finally a smallish job. We modified a throttle cable bracket with our own steel plate to make a holder foe the much shorter EK9 cable. Its so much neater in the engine bay and works perfectly with the pedal set-up. Just need t6o fabricate some stops for the pedal itself now

tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

Postby SiR_chris » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:26 pm

immense mate

out of interest what post pump inline fuel filter did you go for? And are they -6AN lines?
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: '92 H2B SiR, '02 CW DC5, '06 Black Sport Jazz

PreviousNext

Return to Ongoing Projects