My MK2 turbo restoration

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

My MK2 turbo restoration

Postby tubbyandy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:15 pm

Well i decided that my SiR was due to have some serious overhaul. It had done me proud as a daily driver/show car/track car/parts testing car/commuter for 8years and was starting to show its age. As im getting more and more into track days and racing for the RAF the sol has become a bit useless. Its allways been an awsome car and very fast but even caged and braced it just couldnt cut it on track with the amount of power i wanted. Sooooo i decided i was going to jump ship and get a mk2 purely for the shell strength and stiffness. This was a very difficult decision as i love this car but all things must come to an end.

Anyway i picked a 92 VT as it would be easier to drop my engine into. It came up at a bargin (probably because its a disgusting colour) and needs some bodywork but i wanted a project so that'll be fine. Ive also just bought an Si tin top shell so i might use the VT as a donar car for that.

Heres some pics anyway. All comments welcome

Heres a bit of the usual rot on the arches. This side is the worst.

And this side needs doing anyway but itsnt as bad

And the heart thats sooon to be replaced

I havent had a chance to strip the sills away yet so hoping there isnt any major scares awaiting me. Started stripping the interior and the car look pretty sound from the inside.
Last edited by tubbyandy on Thu May 01, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sol has passed on but its 370bhp heart is soon to live on in a MK2 CRX track car :-)

298.7whp (350-370bhp) + 220wtrque @ .9BAR GT3071r with more to come on the new build
tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership

Re: My MK2 turbo restoration

Postby tubbyandy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:16 pm

Some pictures of my poor holey sills :-( I've got my old man ordering me steel in time for my next visit home so hopefully i'll be on the way soon.
Last edited by tubbyandy on Thu May 01, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sol has passed on but its 370bhp heart is soon to live on in a MK2 CRX track car :-)

298.7whp (350-370bhp) + 220wtrque @ .9BAR GT3071r with more to come on the new build
tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership

Postby tubbyandy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:17 pm

Got a bit further with the car today. Firstly i stuck on a set of 14inch VT rims so i can start refurbing the slipstreams to sell. I actually quite like the dark standard look on the cel blue. The rear bumper is suppost to be hanging off by the way

Finally got the last pieces of interior out including the door cards and carpets and started chiselling out the tar like soundproofing which i'll finish off tomorrow.

Orderd an innovative traction bar and some big brakes too so i'll start stripping the chassis next i think.

Had a day on the car this weekend so started on one of my arches. Was suprised how little rust there was on the arches themselves so cut away the rot to the decent metal so i could get a good weld. The rear area where the bumper attaches on the other hand had really rotted so i chopped it all out and fabricated a new one using steel sheet. I then coated it with MIO a paint used on electrical pylons as an undercoat. i havent finished the fillering so dont think thats the finished product haha
Last edited by tubbyandy on Thu May 01, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

Postby SiR_chris » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:35 pm

Bit of a project you've got there dude - goodluck and looking forward to seeing your progress 8) do you take in-car footage? Wouldn't mind seeing some :)
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: '92 H2B SiR, '02 CW DC5, '06 Black Sport Jazz

Postby tubbyandy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:40 pm

Hey bud. Im picking another shell up tomorrow so hopefully i can just use the blue one as a donor car but we'll see. Should be fun with 400+ haha. I will be doing mate, going to invest in a decent camera. Got a few in the sol but this one should be even quicker with a bit of luck

tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

Postby tubbyandy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:48 pm

edit
Last edited by tubbyandy on Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

Postby tubbyandy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:47 pm

Been doing a fair bit to the shell on my leave in between holidays. Ive stripped all the interior sealant and soundproofing which i weighed this time 11kgs!!! not a bad start for weight saving i dont think. I also started stripping the underseal from the bottom of the car to try and spot any rust issues and to re underseal it. i have found some minor patching to do but all in all this shell is mint with no major sill or arch work. hopefully with some hard work now i can future proof the body.

A big motivator for me is that my Custom cages cage arrived today so i really need to push and get it sorted. The cage comes with so much including weld on plate, all the strengtheners, door bars, dash bar and is full FIA/MSA spec once i send them a test piece of my welding and photos with it in the car. I refuse to pay £1700 to someone i dont know to weld the cage in when i know my welding is more than up to it so im going for it solo :D heres a quick pic of the cage as it came today
Last edited by tubbyandy on Thu May 01, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

Postby tubbyandy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:08 pm

Also had a bit of cutting and sticking blue peter day with my centre console :lol: Ive got some thin guage ally that i want to mount all my electronics in so thought id mock it all up before i start cutting. Its going to hold my boost controller, turbo timer, Apexi RSM, Link knock link, AFR, oil pressure and oil temp guages.

A few of the goodies i icked up whilst i was away (probably a bit premature considering ive not sorted the shell yet but ahh well haha)

Blox 68mm throttle body that im going to port match to my skunk2 inlet manifold.

Apexi power intake that im going to build into an alloy airbox vented through a fibreglass bonnet when i get the engine bay layout sorted.

Fibreworks fibreglass wings. As ive said before i dont think these are lighter, if anything they are peobably that bit heavier but i think the fact they rent going to rust or bend if i lean over the engine bay makes them worth every penny

Golden eagle bumper diffuser that i intend to fit to an Si or SiR rear bumper when i get hold of one. Looks pretty and will stop the rear bumper parachuting. Also i icked up a windscreen washer relocation kit from a kit car supplier, ive not decided where to put it yet but it was a bargin so i bagged it.

My Border carbon fibre seat i had in my Sol but its so pretty i had to take a pic or two. This thing only weighs 4.5kg including the side mounts and is actually really comfortable.
Last edited by tubbyandy on Thu May 01, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

Postby tubbyandy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:25 pm

Well inbetween weddings and trips between basingstoke and Lancaster ive had a bit more of a play with the Si. Ive taken the soundproofing removal further by now wire brushing the whole lot to remove the last remaining bits. A few scuffs to go and then i can paint it with rust proofing ready for the cage fit.

The booth to stop grinding sparks wrecking the olds house

Dodgy repair on the boot floor to fix and ive cut out an old sill repair to redo it

Some slight boot and back panel rust that ive started to cut out ready for fresh metal. Its all pretty cosmetic to be honest

And the floor as im getting the soundproofing and seam sealer up. Started chopping the areas of the floor that had rusted under the old seamsealer.

Basically want the whole shell sorted and mint before i start welding the cage in so i can do all the welding in one go. Also need to start making the seat mounts. Ive ground off the two small rear mounts and all the various screws that stick out the bulk head so it'll look a lil bit neater in there
Last edited by tubbyandy on Thu May 01, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

Postby tubbyandy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:54 pm

Pulled the rear crossmember and steering rack off today. Its minging haha. The bushes are pretty much dead and the LCAs are rusted (as per usual) so ive degreased them, burnt out the rubbers and going to overhaul them. Ordered a Progress Auto 22m front ARB as it was only £20 more than Honda wanted for a standard one!!!

Ive also bought a non PAS steering rack from Stoo so i'll be refurbing that (although its in great condition) so i can rebuild the suspension. A non-rolling shell can be a right pain in the arse
Last edited by tubbyandy on Thu May 01, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

Postby tubbyandy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Finally finished scrapping the floor and seam sealer mess up. Rubbed away any surface rust and gave it a coating of MIO rust proofing before i apply some neater seam sealer. I've started patching up the holes, they just need dressing now. Some as you can see from the pics ive already done. Starting the rol cage fit on thursday so that should be good.

Found more damage and rust in the back corner but i'll get that chopped out and some fresh metal in there before the cage fit. It looks like its had a rear panel badly fitted at some point in its life but its the perfect time to fix it

And a rough seat fit to see clearances. I'll be setting my seat first with welded in floor bars so ive refitted the steering column and pedal box temporarily so i get it bob on first time
Last edited by tubbyandy on Thu May 01, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

Postby tubbyandy » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:35 pm

Had a week off so decided to fit my weld in Custom Cages roll cage. It was a bit of a pain but heres the details :D The main hoop came three inches too big (not an issue as its better cutting it to fit. Its a really tight fit and we cut into the floor so we could drop the main four point frame to weld the tops of the bars. We spent best part of a day getting the main for points correct as the rest 'should' drop in when they were correct.

The A-pillar bars as i mentioned before pulled in about a foot each side due to being bent in the wrong place. Heating them u wasnt an option so we used a ratchet strap to maintain the bend at the corner dash points and used a scalloped piece of wood with my mate stood on it to slowly open up the lags untill they came to the right width.
As the cage didnt come with a dash bar (despite the website and picture showing they did) i made my own with an extra length of CDS tube and it held the form of the cage nicely. After tacking the roof piece in it held the frame nicely

After building up the rotton corners with 3mm steel plate i mounted the 3mm steel footplates and welded up the whole four point main frame and began the rear sections

The rear foot plates had to be remade as they were really rough but the rear stays went in fine due to the amount of time we spent level and squaring the main bulk of the cage

The next rear bar and diagonal flew in with some minor rescalloping. (i was far too busy to take during pics im sorry :lol: )
Last edited by tubbyandy on Thu May 01, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

Postby tubbyandy » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:36 pm

We decided to put in the floor bars for the seats before the door bars purely for ease. I sat in the seaty to make sure the bars would pass. We then squared off the seat to my driving position with the pedal box (soon to be replaced with a Tilton unit) and steering column.
Once that was done the door bars. Which were a massive pain as we not only wanted a true X but we also wanted both sides to exactly match if you were looking through the car with the doors open. It turned out fantastically after a fair bit of trimming and scalloping

The final touch we knocked up some thin steel sheet into a tunnel brace 'gusset'. It doesnt really do anything but looks miles better than the way custom cages gusset them. Plus we TIGd it in for a bit of nicety.

A few of the details

After a lick of zinc rich primer

Whilst we had some spare time i decided to get rid of my badly rusted and bodged front bar thingy which i wanted shorter to make room for my turbo manifold anyway. We cut the rusty metal away and use it to hold the box section

A coat of zinc rich primer covered it nicely :D With my traction bar replacing the front cross member its given me loooooads of room for my turbo set-up.

We also decided that sinse i was running stiffer mounts and a fair chunk of power we'd reinforce the standard engine mounts where they meet the structure. We simply ran some 'seam welds'. these probably wont be needed but sinse we were there it only took five mins for a bit of peace of mind.
Last edited by tubbyandy on Thu May 01, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

Postby Remedi » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:59 pm

Love it dude, great work!
Mugen kitted 1992 JDM SIR transtop
http://www.remediphotomedia.com/
Remedi
i love wheels
i love wheels

Postby tubbyandy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:42 am

Thanks bud. Its getting there!! Got my ASR brace and ARB set-up and innovative traction bar through today so hopefully ill make a move on the chassis soon :D

tubbyandy
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
83.1%

Next

Return to Ongoing Projects