My frankenstein Sol -Jap, blue oval rust bag and VW parts. HUGE WRITE UP!

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Re: My frankenstein Sol -Jap, blue oval rust bag and VW part

Postby Da(15)z » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:07 pm

Thanks for you comment much appriciated. Yes i think your right especially on the rear wheels at least lol. Im going to enquire about refurbing my wheels and they sell wheels spacers too so will deffinitly be asking about some of them too. Still loads more work to do but slow and steady and itl get there. Just picked up civic 02 heater control panel to replace the current one. More on that soon with a whole new dash look.

My On Going Project - Frankinstein Sol
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=29828
Da(15)z
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
41%

13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: 1992 Jap Import Del Sol d15z Vtec Automatic

Postby Da(15)z » Wed May 14, 2014 9:29 pm

Hi all ive been busy again since my last post. So ive sorted out my heater blower problem. As i was taking the old one out i noticed a bit of water dripping out from it which i traced back to the scuttle panel where my plastic clips are missing, this is where the water is coming in :/.
Image Image
I spoke to Honda about a heater blower and they wanted £300!!! Luckily found a civic in my local scrappy and picked one up there for £30 thats more like it :).

Fixed my passenger side roof handle that would not close at all and felt like it was going to snap if i forced it anymore. So off with the roof and striped the panels off and had a look at what the problem was.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Ah rust! Yo can see in the picture where ive put the grease on and managed to free the locking pin the rust has come off, so quick wipe off and re-greased, also re-greased the other pins while i was at it.

Drilled all my fake bolts out my alloys.
Image Once drilled some wouldnt come out straight away so i jamed a flat head in an twist an levered out.
Image Image

Car overheated and blew the top rad pipe :/. Replaced with new one from Honda £20.
I was in the process of replacing the thermostat when i snapped one of the heads off a bolt :0!!!!! Had to remove the housing so i could remove the bolt and use a tap and die set to re-thread hole. Replaced the old bolt with a threaded bar and nut.
Car drove fine for a while but i was still losing water somewhere so booked it in for a head gasket and coolant pressure test. The day before the test i went for a tunnel run with one of my local car clubs, did not end well. Overheated again, so much so i couldnt remove the oil cap to fill it back up. Had to drive home on empty :/. So had the test and found out ive got exhaust gasses leaking into my coolant. Probable cause a warped head/damaged head gasket.

Went to pick up a head from a guy with a civic, same engine as mine. He wanted £40 for it. When i got there he said he couldnt be bothered to take it off, an weather was bad at the time so he said i could just have the whole lump for the same amount plus he threw in a rad :). Just saving up now for a head swop, i would just swop the lump but his engine has done 150k miles so i will just keep it for spares for now.

Bought a civic ep3 climate control unit to convert too.
I striped both units down and made up wiring diagrams to see how they would mesh together, as much as i tried i dont think it will work unless i replace the whole HVAC system. That would mean getting the civic air mix controller and vent control module but would they easly replace the Sols??
Image Image

Decided its not worth it so plan b, re-locate to the center console. So i made a new wiring loom and test fitted it. Went well, it all lit up, fan speed works but for some reason the off bit doesnt work. Not a problem i will install a separate switch for that. The vent and air mix controls are sluggish but still responds so thats all good.
Image Image
So starting the center console mod off, ive cut a hole in he bottom to fit climate unit, cut out the cigarette lighter socket that was broke anyway.
The plan is now to fit the climate unit there along with a 2 can holder. Not just any boring old can holder but a fancy can cooler :). All you need is a roll of foil, a can coolie, pc heat sink with fan, a peltier device (the white square) and some thermal grease. I wont go into detail how to fit it all so heres a link http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2004- ... ing-coolie

Loom is in

Test fitted wood panel for climate unit.

Test fitted switchs an cans
Image Image
This is a far as ive got so far will post another time with updates.

Da(15)z
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
41%

13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby EK4 Luke » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:33 am

wow what a custom project will keep an eye on this looking good
EK4 Luke
Progress to next rank:
26.3%

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Postby HowHard » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:13 pm

fantastic project m8, absolutely love the can cooler lol may have to pinch that one :)
HowHard
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
4.3%

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Drives: Green + matte black, d16y8

Postby Da(15)z » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:18 am

Thanks for the replys guys not much more progress yet but i will be getting on it again now, yes by all means copy the can cooler idea its not finished yet but ive tested the items an it looks like itl work really well. Going to be making a start on my alloys at the momeny. Can cooler and dash project on hold a moment.

Da(15)z
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
41%

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby Da(15)z » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:16 pm

Ok so made a start on polishing up my wheel lips, the wheels have been neglected for ages now so they deserve attention and what beeter place to start than on the lips. This website http://www.preludepower.com/forums/show ... p?t=230447 helped me alot to get an idea on how to go about doing them.

This is what they looked liked before washing.

I would definitely recommend Wonder Wheels, its an acid-free wheel cleaner that sprays out purple and has an active indicator that turns the wheels red when its reacting with the dirt. £10 a bottle from Sparesworld.
This is the cleaner sprayed on.
See how it tuns red after 5mins.
Then all you do is scrub and wash off.

Once wash you can clearly see the corrosion.

Started with 800 wet and dry, make sure you keep the wheel and paper wet at all times. I went around the wheel about 8 times and although it has taken alot off it still wasnt enough as i could see some small white patches of corrosion.

Went and got some 400 and 600 grit and worked the wheel with that and then back up to 800. Wow big difference, an look how much blood and sweat i put into it haha.

The next day i went over the wheel with 1200 and 1500 and finally polished it up using Autosol. Here you can see the bottom half fully polihed and the top yet to be done.

Before and after! Wow talk about falling in love with your wheels again, mirror finish too :). Now to finish the other 3 wheels and then fit fake studs, new center cap and finish with a black spray.

Da(15)z
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
41%

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby Da(15)z » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:50 am

Finished sanding and polishing all 4 wheel lips

Next i will start sanding the spokes and prep for spraying gloss black

Da(15)z
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
41%

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby HowHard » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:39 pm

Very nice mate, great project and brilliant work on the rims.
HowHard
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
4.3%

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby Da(15)z » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:00 am

Thanks HowHard :), yes im very pleased with the way the wheels turned out, more so now i have sprayed them vht gloss black :). After being quoted nearly £250 to refurb all my wheels i decided to do it myself costing a fraction of that price. I would say in all its cost almost £20 :) and a good few hours a day. Im getting discounted rates at my local motor factors too :) every little helps and is going towards a full respray :).

Ok, so far ive finished spraying 2 wheels in VHT black and lacquered them. Looking sweet now :)

Before sanding

After sanding there are still lumps of tar

I used some TFR truck wash to remove the tar. Worked very well. So well that because i had the wheel face down it leaked onto my nice polished lip and ate away at it :/.

After some time of sanding the wheel lip i managed to restore it. Ive learnt my lesson there. Next time i will have the wheel standing up and dap TFR onto a cloth lol.

Masked up the lip before sanding the spokes.

Two coats of black on the rear with a matte finish

Looking good after a couple coats of black

All lacquered up and ready to go back on car.

I have just ordered some green fake split rim bolts and awaiting there arrival. I have only ordered 20 for now at £6 just to see how they will look and if they will fit. Ive also got my eye on some Honda CR-V center caps :).

Da(15)z
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
41%

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby Da(15)z » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:18 pm

Split rim bolts have arrived! That was quick. Test fitted them and see how they set the wheel off. Only another 72 left to buy haha.

Da(15)z
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
41%

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby Da(15)z » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:25 pm

My windscreen wiper arms have seen better days, yea 22 years ago haha. I could have bought new ones but they were expensive from the local motor factors so obviously i painted them myself.

First i used a wire brush drill attachment to remove all the rush and take it back to bare metal. For the stubbon rust that wouldnt shift with the brush i sanded with 250 grit. The arm at the top or the picture is finished the one underneath needs more attention.

Sprayed with Etching primer

Finished off with vht matte black

Da(15)z
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
41%

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby HowHard » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:31 pm

nice, did a better job than I did other week lol :)

Fantastic project btw, loving the updates and keep it up, winter is a coming :D
HowHard
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
4.3%

Postby Da(15)z » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:36 pm

Haha did you do your wheels or wiper arms the other week? You got a build thread? Thanks, ha yes winter soon but while summer (supose to be autum) is here i want to get the car resprayed so off to see a man about plasti dipping this week. Need to find out what sort of finish the primer needs to be in before it can be done as the car needs alot of filling and sanding back down as my friend did not sand half the car before priming it and its flaking off now. Just waiting on some parcels from ebay to get the wheels finished :). Then onto the body work.

Da(15)z
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
41%

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby richie13 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi mate car is looking really good I no what you mean about sanding dody work still doing my car bodywork how is the supercharger going was going to use one on my mini engine but went 2 ltr 8v I the back end can you buy a manifold allready done like to do it to my DOHC engine
richie13
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
21.8%

Postby Da(15)z » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:59 pm

Thanks Richie, you got a build thread i can have look at see your handy work, what bodywork you been working on? Supercharger is still siting in shed, i would say looking prity but i want to strip the old paint off and respray it before it goes on. What 2ltr enfine you got in the boot of your Sol?! Im not having the charger built straight onto the inlet mani not enough room, going to put it at front of engine where air con pump was and pipe it round.

Da(15)z
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
41%

1992 Honda Delsol

PreviousNext

Return to Ongoing Projects