SiR_Chris' - Overhaulin' H2B Build

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Re: SiR_Chris' - Overhaulin' H2B Build

Postby Kristoffer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:54 pm

Bloody hell man, you've not half got your work cut out for you, have you,
Kristoffer
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
64.3%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Drives: N/A

Postby lxstuart » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:57 pm

Can do, I can even do a VTEC crossover :lol:

SmithYo wrote:bollocks to wd40.... bita spit normally works a charm ;)

crazyasswhiteboi wrote:was worth the effort, just needed a little wriggling when putting in...

Image Not always SFW
lxstuart
DelSolUK Moderator
DelSolUK Moderator

15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership

Drives: '96 Milano Red SiR, '95 Legend Coupe

Postby SiR_chris » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:45 am

lxstuart wrote:Can do, I can even do a VTEC crossover :lol:

:lol: :lol: defo need to hear that at japfest!
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: '92 H2B SiR, '02 CW DC5, '06 Black Sport Jazz

Postby SiR_chris » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:52 pm

So a bit of an update is in order, as I finally got the shell back at the start of May at last! :lol: 8) :shock:

Here’s a quick run down of the work undertaken -

Engine Bay: They have done some very obvious as well as some very subtle changes to the bay. They have smoothed everything that could be smoothed, removed all the seam sealer etc. and boxed in the front corners and engine mount areas. All the little dimples have been smoothed out and all corners rounded as much as possible to create a jelly-mould type look. Turrets raised just enough to clear the camber arms from hitting, sealed and applied hammerite-type sealer to the non-seen areas of the slam panel etc. There really are many hundreds of man hours gone into it if not more. The front bonnet catch was also deleted and smoothed so I’m now using aerocatch bonnet locks.

There is one imperfection here, which I hope to get sorted when I can drive her back to the bodyshop :(

Body, general: From an exterior standpoint, the arches have obviously been pulled out a fair bit front and rear and blended into both bumpers (which had to be pulled out to match at the top) as well as where they meet the sideskirts. The filler cap area was modified to help it all blend in with the new ‘hips’. I ended up removing the MS Designs sideskirts for OEM as it helped this transition to both arches, but also added side blades which help it all flow with the front splitter. All rust also fully cutout and replaced with new metal (the initial reason for starting this process!), including both rear arches and a bit on the a-pillars and down into the lower windscreen mount area. Both rear arches have been ‘tubbed’ too, so all new metal has been added around the upper inside area of the arch and sealed to where it joins the front and rear ‘skins’. Everywhere has been re-sealed too with that hammerite-type stuff;

Front Bumper: The front bumper has been extensively modified as it had to be pulled out at the top a fair bit to meet the new arch positions (but keeping the headlights in stock locations). The bottom lip couldn’t be modified to suit so we used canards along with the upturned splitter design to help make the sides look wider to match. It is a bit different but that’s why I like it. The duct on the left allows air flow to the filter (interesting fact: the duct is actually from a Celica ST) and I may add a Honda badge to the centre but undecided, the plate position needs some consideration also! I’m currently thinking about making a bracket that extends out the lower splitter hole opposite to the tow strap as I don’t want the plate to block airflow to the rad and oil cooler if mounted within or over the central grill. The splitter remains solidly bolted to the chassis so is independent from the bumper itself, so it will really do its job (and not just push the bumper down upon its fixings!).

I'm thinking of getting some aftermarket headlights though to freshen her up a little...

Bonnet: The bonnet was just touched up a bit to fix the crack that had appeared by being too close to the oil cap but also aerocatches fitted as mentioned. It still allows the OEM bra to be fitted tho :wink: . I had wanted a vent added in the rear of the bulge to help heat escape but this may have to be cut in when I go back as it wasn’t done.

Rear: The rear bumper was not touched apart from making wider at the top to meet the wider arches and new black mesh added to the lower section (to replace the silver mesh) but the rear number plate panel I decided to go back to stock Japenese fillers. So my smoothed version will be up for sale shortly. I have fitted a US ‘Canibeat’ plate surround by bolting through the panel. Also I decided that the rear looked better without the MS Designs lip, it made the rear too low and as I no longer have the MS Designs sideskirts fitted, just looked a bit out of place. The plan is to make a custom metal/plastic rear diffuser at some point to tie in with the side steps and front splitter, maybe over next winter! The most influential addition to the rear though is the ducktail spoiler which is a big improvement for me, I love it.

Other: The oil cap has been shaved down more to prevent clashing with the underside of the bonnet. I will have a tool to remove it now as it has no ‘fingers’ to grab. I also moved over to EG coupe rear handles to get rid of the locks, my old ones had been smoothed off but had sank a little so you could just make out the circles (a bracket was needed to make these fit as the mounting bolts are in a slightly different place). I also fitted new hydraulic bonnet lifters, in black. These are quite powerful and so the way in which they attach to the hinge on the bonnet has been strengthened to compensate.

The rocker cover and booster will be completed next and sent to me separately, sprayed in pirates black and candy purple respectively. I’m just glad to have the shell back so I can start work on her again! Since she is has been away from me, I’ve got married, had a honeymoon, been on holiday to NZ, and also moved house!! :shock: :lol:

In her new home:

Time to start stripping again to get all that work done before the engine can go back in!

SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby SiR_chris » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:54 pm

So I got round to removing the subframe to paint it with black smooth hammerite. Looks a lot better now! Whilst I was at it I thought I may as well remove the front arms and knuckle so painted those too, along with replacing the lower ball joints whilst I was at it.

I will also paint the lower forks soon, but didn’t bother with the ARB as I want to fit a thicker one anyway in the near future.

I have been wanting to make the steering a little lighter ever since I removed the power steering from the car. I cannot find for the life of me a Civic EG Manual Steering rack, even though I know they were made on the very early low spec DX models. So I found a tutorial online that explains how to modify your power steering rack by removing the piston inside, which in turn eradicates the friction in the assy without fluid and turns it into a manual rack and with it, makes it easier to turn. So, off it came and apart it was taken!

I had to get a shop to remove the large 40mm lock nut as I didn’t have one that big (ooo-er!) and also the hex heads which proved extremely stubborn. But other than that it came apart pretty easily and I was able to get to the piston inside and cut it off.

Back together again, painted with hammerite and all installed along with the subframe;

SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby SiR_chris » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:07 pm

Onto the job I was quite nervous about – custom brake lines :?

It has taken me quite a while to perfect the flaring of the kunifer brake lines and even longer to bend the pipe into the right shapes! You definitely need patience for this! I have not finished yet but redone most of the lines about 3times to get them presentable. Having read a lot of online tutorials and reports it seemed like I had to double flare the ends, which wasn’t too bad considering.

So I first mounted the brake prop valve inside the cabin. I used one of the tapped holes that the window module secures to, and drilled another hole with a spacer I made and a nyloc nut underneath the chassis to fully button it down. The window module will easily be mounted to the back wall instead.

First lines installed (these are the rear) that go through to the OEM rear lines in the engine bay through bulkhead connectors:

Engine bay side and into the OEM lines under the car:

For the front brake lines, I need to drill a hole through to the arches instead of going through the engine bay. Finding the perfect position for this I found to be quite tricky, as it’s difficult to know where you are drilling in relation to the other side! I used a small pilot hole first to gauge the positioning and luckily for me it was in pretty much the right place. So I went ahead and fitted bulkhead connectors;

I then proceeded to make and route the new hard lines to the braided caliper hoses and ofcourse inside to the prop valve;

This is as far as I have got, as I need to wait until I get my brake booster back until I can route the lines to the master cylinder. I have drilled the holes through the engine bay (which was a bit nerve racking!), so it’s just a case of flaring and connecting and then filling the system and testing for leaks…!

I will also use some strategically placed line holders to help prevent vibration and any possibility of cracking/line failure in the future.

Hopefully this will inspire others to give it a go – this was my first time ever touching brake lines so if you are patient and use common sense you can save yourself a fortune having it done somewhere else. Just make sure you take your time and fully test – you don’t want to get this bit wrong as it’s your life that could be in danger! :lol: :twisted:
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby solman » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:47 am

Looking more amazing by the day! 8) That rear end looks stunning, yikes on drilling holes in anything that's expensive isn't much fun at all, double\triple checking every time and that moment when its done and your still not sure. Not long till Simply Jap I'm looking forward to seeing it in the enclosure picking up awards so no pressure and I'm hoping we get a good spot!
Did you know DSUK are on:

Image Image Image Image

solman
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

Drives: Crystal Black FK8

Postby gwhoo4t » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:57 pm

Looking good Chris, looking good 8) 8)

Gaz
gwhoo4t
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
54.8%

13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership

Drives: '92 Black VXi TT Auto

Postby kenco » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:27 pm

Totally amazing build. Would be great to see it pick up some show wins or magazine feature, put the sol back in the forefront of jap cars.
It's builds like this that can encourage more people to build rather than scrap sol's.
Really looking forward to seeing the finished product at Beaulieu.
kenco
DelSolUk Trainee Moderator
DelSolUk Trainee Moderator

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

Postby delsolchippy » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:31 pm

Looking good mate
delsolchippy
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
0.5%

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

1994 Honda Delsol

Postby SiR_chris » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:02 am

Thanks guys, your comments mean a lot seeing as it's taken me so long to get to this stage! I'm not doing it for coverage or awards etc. but would be an added bonus ofcourse. I just wanted to get my Sol to the stage I envisaged when I first picked her up almost 11yrs ago :shock: so that I never regretted selling her for another project (which will be a few yrs away yet now!) :lol:
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby SiR_chris » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:04 am

A few more jobs jobbed - I got round to fitting the S2000 Clutch Master Cylinder and spacer and hooked up the Goodridge short clutch line to it ready for the slave when the engine goes back in:

I also cut the fuel tank vent pipe as it exits the tank so I can remove the charcoal canister and the hard line that goes through the bay. Leaving it open will still allow it to vent which is important so that the pressure does not increase inside the tank, especially when hot. So I cut it near the back before the 2way valve just outside the tank;

Re-routed the wiper cables through a new hole in the scuttle;

I also connected the fuel line hose connector to the fuel feed hardline from the tank as I thought it would be easier to do so with the engine out. Once back in, I will work out how long the hose should be, cut it, and then assemble the line and fit to the inline fuel filter; (I will do the return line with the engine in as that is only a jubilee clip jobby due to lower pressure)

And finally fitted the short EK9 throttle cable on the pedal end and through the firewall;

I also had to come up with a way of retaining my windscreen washer bottle, now that I’d smoothed over the hole that it usually pokes up in. So I cut off the neck;

Drilled a hole in the side at the right size for a matching removable bung I had (photo taken from inside, through hole that was left after cutting neck off) with the bung fitted;

Fibreglassed the big hole to seal it up;

Fitted back in the same location, with the same brackets/mounts;

All I need to do is pop out the bung and fill up with water with a short length of hose or bottle or something so the ghetto approach worked out rather well! When and if I fit arch liners (haven’t ran them in years) I would have to make a hole in the right location for access… :)
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby SiR_chris » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:39 am

Whilst I’m working on the various bits and pieces ready for installation of the engine, I gave my wheels to TRS-UK in MK for ceramic polishing. Here’s how they turned out;

Pretty happy with them and should look great against the dark paintwork 8) :D

Just need to seal them with proper wax and mount the tyres!

SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby solman » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:20 pm

Mothers is great stuff you'll wanna protect those like a mad man! They look mint though, love em!
Did you know DSUK are on:

Image Image Image Image

solman
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

Drives: Crystal Black FK8

Postby Donhumbostoni » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:39 pm

i hate evrything about this build! because it is not my build
Give me a piece of wood and ill make you something beautiful! put a spanner in my hand and ill
get mad and start breaking things
Donhumbostoni
Chatty
Chatty
Progress to next rank:
25.4%

13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership

Drives: 1993, mix and match of del sols. Grand prix white

PreviousNext

Return to Ongoing Projects