Not Del sol but B20b/vtec going into a mini.........

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Re: Not Del sol but B20b/vtec going into a mini.........

Postby Kam » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Finally finished up the new vtec oil feed pipe and the sandwich plate fittings, hopefully this pipe should hold up, also done the new front braided brake lines, engine positioning is ok for the moment, just need to sort out the few squeaks n rattles and go from there, in the meantime the engine aint moving atall, these are proper mounts...

Decided to heat wrap up the rest of the inlet duct, I might even wrap round the cone and feed a couple of hoses to it as its sitting right behind the rad, not sure yet

Finished up and got all the fluids in and cranked it over, got oil pressure and no leaks

Took it out for a little drive, oil temp and pressure all fine, no leaks, good good

It was nice to drive it again since Le Mans but I didn't totally enjoy it, the exhaust is banging underneath and was doing my nut in, I know where so just need to come up with a plan...

When I got back and was looking at where it was banging underneath I also found an exhaust leak where its clamped just after the flexi, these clamps are pooh so took the exhaust off again and welded it up and took it out for another spin, OMG it pulls more now, that leak must've been there since I first put this exhaust on as it picks up much much easier now! 8)

I also need a middle silencer, its good fun popping off throttle but the sound is a bit OTT for the cars look, especially when I'm slowing down in traffic and its burbling away to a standstill, too much attention... :arrow:

Not much room in the exhaust tunnel with this 2.5" system so gonna see if I can get a 4" diameter middle silencer in there somehow, I'll mock it up first, somehow!

As soon as I get these cams degreed in I'll get it on the rollers for a full on power run, but I'm not too bothered about that at the moment as its got enough as it is

Hopefully I'll do a vid next time now that VTEC has been given the green light...
SiR_chris wrote:bet you wish you aint started all this now :lol:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Postby Kam » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:10 am

Ok, finally finished up with the exhaust and hung it up

The back of the middle silencer is touching the handbrake bracket but not much I can do about that as I can't move the silencer any further forward or back, it'll do, I'll see what its like out on the road...

Still got a couple more bits to finish off in the bay but 97.5% of it is done now

Started it up and its definitely quieter, not a helluva lot quieter but quieter, the garage don't shake as much now...

Took it out for a little spin, had to rush back though so couldn't stay out long enough to let the oil do its thing so vtec could do its thing, I'll get a better vid done another time, this was just to gauge what its like out on the road incase it had been a wasted effort with the exhaust

It might not seem it on the vid but its quieter than before, only getting a muffled pop or spit after changing gear and after letting off on hard throttle it only pops a bit - and definitely no burbling when I'm coming to a standstill in traffic, means I can sneak up to unwary cars...

Engine mounts are good, nice and solid, bit more vibration in the cab but nothing tragic, shocks are set way too soft to need to set them harder as the front lifts a bit on flooring it

Full throttle starts are a no go at the moment till I learn how to control my right foot! these tyres (yoko a539's) spin up easy and after trying a couple of traffic light gp's it torqued steered and then spun up after hitting second...still working on that thing called control...

I'm taking this to Germany in a couple of weeks time, but I might take it somewhere else first this weekend, if all goes well...
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Postby johnrnugent » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:29 am

That's WICKED Kam, put a massive smile on my face watching that.. BIG KUDOS that's a real monster you got there.. :D :D 8) 8) :D :D

Well :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: here

VVRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
johnrnugent
DSUK Jester
DSUK Jester

Drives: Honda Jazz Sport. RED VTi TT

Postby Kam » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:01 pm

Cheers John but thats a bad vid, got a better camera mount now so hopefully get some better footage and sound when Mr Police officer is not about.....also wait for the oil to warm up and hit some Yo! :)

Right

I'm taking the mini to Germany next week so at the moment the car deserves a little RnR before that trip, unfortunately I did a very Kam thing and took it to my mates house, fortunately he lives in cornwall........unfortunately thats one or two miles from Kent!

Any issues getting there and back?

Long live the mini

Nuff said! :mrgreen:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:33 pm

Not really much to update, been out trying to work out where all the squeaks rattles and general noises are coming from inside the cabin/dash, bit hard on your own

Anyways, done a short vid, just a tester, will get another one done once the car is completely finished which as we all know will be...

So far though, car is on course to make it to germini next week - I hope!

Enjoy

:)
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Russ123 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:37 pm

My mate is doing the same thing but hes keeping his wings fixed and putting a turbo somewhere :) WICKED love it mate. Not sure if you was there but i loved the Mini 50 year anniversary meet at Longbridge where i live there was lots of Vtec Minis there loads with integra type R engines and k20s . And them Z car minis ohh my god.
Russ123

Postby johnrnugent » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:25 pm

Nice one Kam.. :D :D loved it when you smoothly blasted past that Porker at the end... Bet he would have raced ya if he could of caught ya... :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock:

Now you can get to work on a Rio TT conversion :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock:
johnrnugent
DSUK Jester
DSUK Jester

Postby Kam » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:31 am

Ok this didn't quite go as planned earlier

I'm taking the mini to Germany tomorrow so took it out for a short little test drive just to make sure everything was running fine, it felt a bit down on power, not a huge amount but enough to notice, one thing I did notice was the popping and spitting off throttle was back, so brought it back home and started checking over, found a leak in the exhaust at the clamp holding the middle silencer, tried to tighten it up and up and up and snap - bolt broke, nice

Gonna weld up that join section as these clamps are cack so front end and front bar off and here we go again...

But I ran out of time so had to down tools and go work, got same again today so I HAVE to now do everything before I go work as when I get back it'll be too late to play with any tools and I still need to pack the car etc etc and I'm meeting the others a few hours after I get back from work so looks like its gonna be another all-nighter!

Not what I wanted right now :(
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:34 am

johnrnugent wrote:Now you can get to work on a Rio TT conversion :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock:

I think I would glady work on another vtec mini conversion, but work with these TT roof jobbies??? NOOOOOOO!!!!

They look like proper arse to work with! :lol:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:00 pm

Just a quickie update (for once!)

Managed to get the car ready after a struggle

Got to Germini

Had a supposedly wheel bearing problem after a lap

Picked up a new wheel bearing from Achim (ringmini)

"Wheel bearing" noise was still there after replacing then mysteriously disappeared the next day so I bought a kinder surprise (as you do!) :lol:

Did another lap and all seems fine???

If your ever in pistenklause......take a moment to look around

Back home

Job done :mrgreen:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:34 pm

Took it to the rolling road today, me and rolling roads are never a simple straightforward thing and guess what......today was no different!

Had an exhaust leak which I found to be a couple of pinholes where I had welded the middle silencer on, welded them up and took it out for a spin and it was running good again, picking up really well

My cams needed setting at the rollers but I didn't have a degree wheel here so thanks to a fellow 16 valver I printed one off and was ready to roll

Got to the rollers and front end off so rocker cover can be pulled off

Steve setting up whats needed on the cams and pulleys

He was having a chuckle at how far out my cams where, he asked who put them in and degreed them, I said me and I just threw them in! Well what do you expect from me? :lol: Told him the car pulls well, he said its gonna pull alot better now! :lol:

After some tuning we heard a bang, rear silencer had fallen off! :shock:

The uprated rubber mounts had ripped as they were being stretched a tad, no time to worry about that now, luckily theres a flexi along there otherwise there would've been alot of stress on the front section and probably cracked it - anyway its got a flexi so we carried on :)

After some more tuning and another couple of runs we went for the main one...

200hp and 144mph with 148ft lbs :D

He said it can make more with some more playing about as theres plenty there but I was happy with that, also this was on 95 fuel, he said run super from now on...

After some kerfuffle I made it home with some dodgy DIY blue peter exhaust fixing, unfortunately I couldn't boot it as it as the exhaust was banging like a biaatch but I can tell you one thing - its very willing now

Well chuffed :cool: :cool: :cool:

Heres the full spec of the car

Engine:

B20b with standard 84x89 bore/stroke and standard crank with no crank girdle
Standard con rod (not shot peened) with ARP bolts
ACL race main and rod bearings
RS machines ITR domed pistons (standard 84mm bore)
Bottom end put together by DNR
2.5" exhaust
ARP head studs
ITR head (no work)
Buddyclub spec III cams
Buddyclub double valve springs
Standard ITR valves and retainers
Redline 8600rpm, rev limit set at 8000rpm as thats where my standard mini rev counter finishes!
Head built by yours truly

Drivetrain:

Standard Y21 box with watsons 3.4 final drive
ACT lightweight flyweel
Stage 4 competition clutch (paddle)
AP 14mm master cylinder
B&Q bolt to limit clutch pedal movement!

Suspension:

Minispares donuts (red dots)
Hi los
Gaz shocks

Interior:

See Rover!

Wheels/tyres:

Rovers finest steel wheels wrapped with some 165/12's

Next job - fix the exhaust and grab a trackday somewhere, if the engine blows up tomorrow I don't care, job done :mrgreen:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Paulm » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:06 am

I'd say your missing white a few horses and torques from that graph with whats inside the engine
Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: 1992 greenish SIR B20

Postby solman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:40 am

I agree with Paul, I would have expected a fair bit more given the spec list and mine probably isn't far away from this with stock pistons, even if the RR isn't friendly that doesn't account for how much it should be making. Maybe I misssed it but what injectors are you running?

I can imagine that 200 is more than enough in a mini!
Did you know DSUK are on:

Image Image Image Image

solman
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

Drives: Crystal Black FK8

Postby johnrnugent » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:13 am

I know your missing a few horses Kam... You have done an excellent job building your motor and it would be a shame if you can't get the extra 10+ BHP out of it... 200bhp is great ... 210+ is even better.. :D :D 8) 8) :D :D
Even with mine I was disappointed with 223bhp and I was right I have gained between 3-4% more BHP & Torque up to 5000rpm before my clutch failed so it still hasn't reached its full potential YET.. :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

KEEP THE FAITH... And eat the KFC... :lol: :lol:
johnrnugent
DSUK Jester
DSUK Jester

Postby Kam » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:32 pm

I'm using RC 370's

Cheers guys yeah there is more there but I left it at that, ideally I should've disconnected the rev counter and let it bounce off 8600rpm, also I'm still running the same plugs which I used to run the engine in, the cams were worked on but not to the full extent, oh and im pretty sure we never checked valve clearances as the head was still hot, it still has a bit more to give even on 95 fuel

As I've run the engine in now I just wanted to make sure it was running ok with no problems as I don't have alot of luck with rolling roads, the alternator belt was slapping against itself which we sorted and one the outer cv gaiter has a hole in there so was starting to spout out some grease, oh and the rear silencer fell off :lol: so I just said knock it on the head for now as I'm more than happy with those figures. I'll take it back another time as they still wanna work on it but at the moment I dont have the time to do anything with the car
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

PreviousNext

Return to Ongoing Projects