Not Del sol but B20b/vtec going into a mini.........

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Re: Not Del sol but B16a2 going into a mini...after a clean up

Postby Kam » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:54 am

rollyjoely wrote:where did you get the piping for you induction kit as i need to route some cold air my self.

I got the ducting along with both air filters from Sanspeed in bexleyheath, not the cheapest but only a short drive away :lol:

So far, size matters? :oops: 9 inches aint enough, helps thats it slim though :lol:

Would say it looks worse in the pic, but there is alot of room on the EG6 civic rad so tried the original del sol one after snipping off a small section to clear the top hose

I didnt put the front end on, it looks ok and might fit but this is an 11 inch fan, so will maybe go for a 12 incher! Size matters lads :lol:

Just incase I had any problems when I start it up I had an extra fan on standby, not quite on the car :wink:

Stuck in a battery for a pug 306 TD, the biggest you can fit in the box

Got enough cranking power on this 8)

Put the original brake servo in

If I still had the original honda dizzy then this servo would need to be 'bent' away as it sits close to my blue oval rust bag DIS pack

The original honda breather from the rocker was getting in the way of the air filter ducting

So chopped down the bits

Passed the ducting through

Getting packed now, even for a clubman front :shock:

Two washers either side gives the clearance for the front bar to the manifold, not much but enough

My mates daughter was upset when she saw the car, she's only ever seen it polished up and gleaming, so she got me back!

5 year olds eh? :lol:

Got some heat wrap for the manny

PITA to do? Yes, very :lol:

Got some metal cable ties through later, pic was taken when the parcel string was doing the job! :lol:

Right, I'm a pleb, I know you know that already but yes :lol: it looks like I have plumbed in my AP clutch master cylinder the wrong way round :oops: I did it the same as a honda

As I've got a threaded clevis I had the pushrod adjusted to all lengths but always got the same movement as I suspected the res pot?

Turns out I've got the larger hole (7/16 banjo) going to the slave, and the AP's dont work like that? The res pot is meant to be plumbed into there, the smaller one above goes to the slave, no wonder I couldn't bleed it? I went by logic? :!:

Then the car refuses to fire up? :evil: Got a spark, got fuel in the rail but the plugs aint getting wet? It fired up fine a few days ago before I pulled off the inlet to block up a couple of holes (see further up for more info) so figured the injectors were goosed, so out they came

Not sure why I pulled them out, I mean I aint got no proper equipment here to clean them so prodded here and there and chucked them back on and tried to start it up - nothing :cry: By chance I knocked the crank sensor plug off with the slightest of touch so that was the problem, it wasn't on there properly :roll:

I should really say I troubleshooted the problem and narrowed it down to the crank sensor plug, but too late now :lol:

Started on the exhaust, I got a custom manifold and a collecter which goes from 2 1/2 to a 2" and a standard mini big bore 2" link pipe and silencer, after mock up they fell short by a few inches!!! I'm a plug and play kinda person, not a problem solver :lol:

So started on the roll tip end which I really hate, really really hate, have I ever mentioned that? :lol:

Went for the slash cut ricer look 8)

Cut off a section on an old 2" link pipe I had here

Joined up with a connector

Looks ok, but it needs to clear the gear linkages :mrgreen:

Drilled out hole for the lambda sensor

Pigeon shat the lambda nut in :lol:

Chucked it on

Lambda clears, gear linkages clears, so thats a 10 4 then 8)

Then went for the start up

8)
SiR_chris wrote:bet you wish you aint started all this now :lol:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Postby solman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:23 am

Sounds very nice luverly!
Did you know DSUK are on:

Image Image Image Image

solman
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

Drives: Crystal Black FK8

Postby BennyEGG » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:41 am

Bad Ass! Will Be Soooooooooo Worth All The Hard Work! :twisted:
BennyEGG
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
17.5%

13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership

Drives: SIR Del Slow

Postby sol'd out » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:42 pm

I think I met the guy you bought this engine off at the weekend in Norton Way Honda. Unless of course there's someone else who's doing the same swap?
sol'd out
DelSolUK Hero
DelSolUK Hero

17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership

1996 Honda Delsol
Drives: 1996 frost white VGi

Postby Kam » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:15 am

sol'd out wrote:I think I met the guy you bought this engine off at the weekend in Norton Way Honda. Unless of course there's someone else who's doing the same swap?

I bought it from some guy in the Leeds area, dont know where Norton Way is, popular conversion.....

Right, I did an update earlier on and it timed out so lost the lot (nr 2 hrs work!) so your now getting the short version :shock: as I cant be bothered doing all that again

Got a new fan

Old was 9 inches

This is a 12 inch bad boy

Bought a new clutch res pot as gravity was a problem before

Cut bracket, made single coach bolt hole as no room for two and mounted up

Clears more than enough to open and top up

Later in the night the 7/16 union snapped after tightening for a small leak, in the morning picked up a 7/16 from pirtek

Plumbed in, topped up and bled, gravity? gravity? I'll give you ******* gravity! :lol:

I'm running a 3.4 final drive, which is known to 'whine' like a straight cut box.......

On axles, wheels off, fifth gear on idle speed

It whines like a wife! Thats gonna be nagging in more ways than one :wink:

Headlights work and hooked up the reverse selector switch

Needed to know how it moves under load, so wheels on, car down, out of garage and pray

Got it to the rolling road on a trailor

Got it mapped

But the driveshaft boot gaitor popped off and made a little mess on there ceiling and my inner wing :lol:

My plastic cable tie wasn't upto the job, he said you need metal ones as we've had this before but yours has made the least amount of mess so far compared to the others that used plastic zip ties :shock:

He said the fueling has been sorted out as the base map was very lean but get some metals on there and re-book it for a power run but the cars fine to use when you sort out the driveshaft boot gaitors

Got car home, put on some metals and took for a quick blast up the road....... :shock:

Effing hell! Its a bit rapid aint it? :shock: I like, I like alot :lol:

Unfortunately the next day was MOT at 9am and I got this back in the garage about 6pm, worked all night to get ready but I had headlight and indicator problems just after midnight, found part of the problem being a relay so called it a night at 2am

Got to the local motor factors at 8am, put all new relays in and now had intermittent clicks so there is a short somewhere. With all the fluffing about with the electrics I didn't get to sort the other stuff out for MOT so jumped on the bike and rode to the MOT center

Said I was pulling the plug on the deadline as I'm leaving on the 10th and still need tax etc along with time to sort out some bits and some shakedown time, he couldn't guarantee he could fit in a MOT the next day on the wednesday (9th) anyway, he's already moved it twice for me already, couldn't ask no more from him

Got no motivation at the moment as up until now its been so I can take this to Le Mans, but my next booked trip is to the nurburgring in september so plenty of time for that.

I haven't stopped the build its just I need some motivation to carry it on, watching this again and again live might help?

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/m ... H00366.flv

:wink:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Postby E2-SAW » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:10 am

your so close to having this finished as well man - fingers crossed you get it complete soon.

Its some project, kudos for taking it on!!
If Carlsberg Made EK Civic's......
YOU CAN LIVE IN A CAR, BUT YOU CAN'T DRIVE A HOUSE!
E2-SAW
Progress to next rank:
92.9%

16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership

Postby rocketman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:03 pm

Amazing project to take on, I bet you're a genius at tetris :D

Also a great thread, loads of detail and educational too!
Honda have started making business jets...is there anything they can't do?
rocketman
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
22.3%

Postby Kam » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:02 am

rocketman wrote:I bet you're a genius at tetris :D

Also a great thread, loads of detail and educational too!

Cheers Mr Rocket but I'm no mechanic, far from it, this kinda stuff is work it out as you go and ask for help on a forum when you hit a snag, its a love hate thing and I love to hate it :lol:

I've gone OTT with the detail as it might help someone else for one thing or another, nothings set in stone so I read other peoples conversions aswell because as Tescos say - every little helps :wink:

Aint giving up yet, just need a few days away from it, start fresh and all that

8)
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:40 pm

Time to get back on it - oh and just happens to be my birthday today aswell, just thought I'd mention that :lol:

As for the 'thing' I love to hate, well I went to Le mans in my mates car and had an awesome time as usual, everyone there in our convoy was gutted I didnt take the mini, these guys drive m3's, 911's, tvr's and range rovers and wanted to see the crx engine on full chat in it, next year :wink:

As for mine, well after the rolling road I decided to make some changes, I decided to ditch the fiberglass front end and get some genuine heritage steel panels, I couldn't see the point in having just a fiberglass front and everything steel???? So new panels ordered

And a secondhand clubman bonnet

Managed to get the front end welded up and fitted on nicely (ish) and the clubman bonnet aswell

Only problem with using a clubman front on a roundnose front is the bonnet hinges for the roundnose sit more inner so after plonking on a clubman bonnet the hinges need to be stretched out which means they will hit the inner wing lines of the roundnose (clubman inners are straight)

Somehow I got round that? Don't ask me how? I'm still new :lol:

Took the old (only 1500 miles) tyres off the 12x6's I ran to the nurburgring and put them onto the original 12 inch rover steel wheels....... :shock:

I'm gonna see how traction is with the steelies, I'd imagine pretty **** :lol: The steel wheels usually take 145/70 but they have a speed rating of either S or T!!! I put my old tires on as they have a speed rating of H so 130mph

Incase your wondering the standard del sol vti engine/box I got (B16A2) on 12" wheels will be undriveable so I've got a 3.4 final drive installed which means its geared to do in top gear 183mph, which is nice for the school run :lol: but unfortunately should top out around 130ish (aerodyamics) so kids will be late for school :lol:

Also I found out my clutch was overthrowing on the recent rolling road and they told me to half the pedal movement :shock: so after some advice I got the drill out :lol: and went away and chucked a stopper bolt in there thanks to some advice from a fellow mini'er 8)

Sorted out the electrics for the front end, remember its gonna be a pull away front so need to detach the front lights easily? So bought some bits that were waterproof for the front assembly and hooked them up

Needed some wide boy rude boy arches for the car, but seeing as I wanna see how the original steelies go I decided to go for some suttle rover ones! :lol:

Proper gangsta me mamma :lol:

Then made a start on the interior

I've decided to use my original rover stereo holder to hold.......the DTA ecu so real time mapping is always on hand!

Theres a ton of things to do yet but I'm hoping to book it in for a MOT soon as I need to get the suspension setup and get it tried and tested as I've got a 'ring trip booked for september.......

Remember its not the size, its how you use it :lol:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Curtis » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:24 am

love the clutch pedal fix! Simplt does the job!
ImageImage
Jut wrote:Aaron says alot of things, he's often wrong.
Curtis
DSUK Alumni
DSUK Alumni

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

Drives: EG6 SiR2

Postby SiR_chris » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:10 pm

Make sure you get some incar footgage at the ring! Would love to see this 8)
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: '92 H2B SiR, '02 CW DC5, '06 Black Sport Jazz

Postby Kam » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:26 pm

Curtis wrote:love the clutch pedal fix! Simplt does the job!

Adjustable aswell :lol:

SiR_chris wrote:Make sure you get some incar footgage at the ring! Would love to see this 8)

Definately, I'll try and get some vids beforehand aswell.....
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:40 pm

Right, been cracking on with a few things, had a MOT booked up for today so a few days ago I had to get back on it

I kept the arches on complete on the front pull away end, most people cut them at the seam point but I wanted to keep it as tidy as poss

Next up was the speedo problem? My rev counter works off the DTA ecu but speedo wont and Mini is cable driven and yours have a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) on the gearbox which is very anti cable and more electronic :lol: I think there is a conversion cable you can get for around 200 notes from the states.....no thanks...

A while back I took the VSS off and noticed at the bottom of it has a 'square' pin which sits at the top of the gearbox.....

And on the other side of the VSS (inside) there is a rotating runner which this square pin sits into......so I thought I'd take a gamble :shock:

I cut off a small section of my mini cable so it was the correct length

And needed it to join onto the center runner which sits inside the VSS which houses the pin for the gearbox

So I welded it together, pigeon shatting is getting better :lol:

Put it all back in, jacked up front, chucked it in second.....

:shock: It works! But for how long? :twisted: It is sitting at zero its just the camera angle

My original mini clocks go upto 110mph so on a trackday after this speed I'm guessing it will snap? I can always unplug the speedo just before a trackday anyway, real racers only use rev counters, right? :lol:

Needed a 12v socket for my sat nav, theres a rumor going around I use to put a spare car battery in the passenger footwell..... :mrgreen:

Made up a backing plate for the socket

And mounted it just behind my glovebox lid to the far left

Since I've had this dash I've never bothered with fitting a backing box for the glovebox as thats for women! :lol: Also its come in handy massively getting to various bits behind the dash, now I've got new relays and fuses etc back there the open glovebox will come in handy once again, hence whys its mounted to the far left :wink:

New problem, when using the integra type r shifters it has been known to hit the passenger seat when in second gear, as I was putting my interior in I found this aswell, its not too bad really but it could get annoying, also I still haven't got a gearknob, been meaning to get a honda one, just a shame as the rest of the inside looks mini :roll:

So I decided to be brave instead :shock: I chopped off a section from my old mini gear linkage

Welded it up to the 'teg one at an angle, and put my original printed 4 speed mini knob back on, oh and yeah its a bit long :shock: :lol:

In neutral

In second

Clears the passenger seat now but its got a bit of a long throw to it :shock: more van stylee!!! Actually I lie, its a bit too much :lol:

Took it for a quick spin round the block with the new steel front end on

Went for the MOT earlier today and........it passed! :shock: Wasn't exepecting that! :lol:

Tester said a couple of things needed addressing but nothing major, I can sort them out, he was quite worried about me using standard steel wheels with this engine though, told him I got it sorted, whatever that means :lol:

Gotta get the suspension sorted out now as its got adjustable castor, camber etc and then book it in with Track n road again for them to finish off the mapping as they put a 5000rpm cap on it so vtec wont engage as the cv boot gaitor popped off last time, hopefully they can get a full power run done this time

I've got a 'ring trip in september so I really need to get this setup and tested out good and proper before then

Getting there :D
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Paulm » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:47 pm

get a gearbox from a crxmk - b16a1. they are cable vss ;)

good stuff on the mot though
Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: 1992 greenish SIR B20

Postby Kam » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:48 am

I really don't know where to begin, had my second time round at the rollers today, everything seemed like it was going fine but as usual if its all going good its sometimes to good to be true? :|

Got there at 10.30 this morning, as I had just changed the oil in both the engine and gearbox the previous night this was the first time to see how it was, the millers oil in the gearbox does quieten the whine down a bit, but I actually miss it a bit now.....had that a-series charactor about it?

They started mapping and sorted out the cold start fueling issues and everything was going okey dokey and the new walbro fuel pump was fine

I still need to sort out the bottom of my exhaust manifold heat wrap, top half is ok but bottom is coming away, still gave me a chance to see the manny glow, errm yeah slight glow! :shock:

Try sticking your tongue on this! (click vid)

Don't worry about the popping, fueling was still being sorted out, overrun sound is nice

Then disaster, the envitable grease on the windscreen......been here before, last time the driveshaft gaitors popped off it was only at 50mph but obviously this was because they were plastic cable ties, as I had steel cables on there done up super tight I was hoping it might hold, it did until 7000rpm in 5th doing 127mph! :o Would of been nice if it got to its 8250rpm.......

As most of the grease was already scattered around the unit :!: and they were almost done with the mapping we hit it again to sort out the fueling higher in the revs as it was so close to finishing, problem was although it was mega loud they said it didn't sound like VTEC was engaging? Bear in mind I have never had it pass 5000rpm I didn't know if the VTEC worked or not, they checked the plug and said its not coming on. TBH I wasn't really bothered as I had other issues on my mind......

Then what happened is either lucky or not so lucky, you decide?

As we was checking the VTEC at idle and giving a full throttle blip , back off, idle, check sensors, another blip, idle, check sensors, it was at the stage it was idling there was an awful scraping rotational sound coming from the rocker cover!!!!! Engine off and I'm bricking it as these guys faces was not good! :( Got the rocker off and disaster - cambelt was getting stripped!! But how????

We found a bolt lodged up inside the cambelt cover against the cam belt? WTF! How the hell did that get inside as all the cambelt cover bolts are on the outside and in place??

Either way this cars not going anywhere! They couldn't believe how lucky I was as if that noise came on whilst we was bliping the throttle, well, you know...... :cry:

It was about 4pm at this point and I somehow needed to tow this home from essex, so called up a mate, he's working, called up another mate, he's been drinking, called up another mate, he's wifes got the car????? I need some new decent mates, anyone want to be my friend! :lol:

Then a bit of amazing luck a trailor pulls up with a rally looking suzuki swift on it? He was there to get it mapped by these guys so they ask him if they would drop me off across the water....he says no problem! :D

Turns out these guys are 586 group rally team! They race a mg zr at the moment and are gonna run the swift in the next championship, I think he said he was leading at the moment - cheers guys really appreciate the get-me-out-of-jail card 8)

Got the car home about 5pm and had a good look round, started off with the gaitor aftermath, this **** gets everywhere!

Also after a bit of investigation I found out what happened with the cambelt, the bolt that caused the mayhem was actually a bolt thats housed inside the cambelt cover

Its worked it way loose and gone for a little trip around the belt making a spectacle of itself and got lodged in the top corner of the lower belt cover (belt cover is in two parts) You can see the marks where it got caught

It was my mistake, I remember when I changed the belt I 'dry fitted' some bolts as I didn't have my belt come through at that point, obviously when the belt turned up I forgot and carried on.....nice one Kam ******* idiot :evil:

I was feeling low at this point, real low :dontgetit: not just of the cambelt scenario but the whole mapping malarky, driveshaft gaitors, the lot......

Never let it be said I will throw in the towel, I was proper pi****ed I missed taking this car to Le Mans in june and knew I how I would be if I can't take it to germany next week with TMF so cue typical Kam, I thought I aint sitting here moping around about the car, that aint me!..... :D

5.20, call up local honda for a cambelt, none in stock but can get one in for tomorrow, no good to me as I don't do tomorrows in this mood! I'm a man on a mission! called up another honda dealer a bit of a travel away considering the time, yep they got one but shut at 6, jump on bike get there with minutes to spare......

Got home and thought theres no way I'm giving up now so off I go!

To whoever thought up pull away front ends on cars I would just like to give a [color="#FF0000"]BIG[/color] thumbs up!

Belt off

Time to inspect.......interesting.....

New belt is on, and majority of the grease in the bay is cleaned up, couldn't start it up to try as it was gone midnight, so will in the morning.....

I'm getting some new steel cables ties tomorrow and doing them up even tighter! I mean one side held so its not like they don't work, they do but I'm guessing one side was not as tight as the other?

Not sure whats happening with the rest of mapping? I got no VTEC engaging but to be honest I don't really care at this point, it hit 127mph before it let go so at this moment in time I'm still taking it to germany next wednesday, not bothered about going on track, I'm going for the banter :D
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

PreviousNext

Return to Ongoing Projects