Not Del sol but B20b/vtec going into a mini.........

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Re: Not Del sol but B16a2 going into a mini...after a clean up

Postby Andyjdm » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:17 am

Some good going mate well done :)
Just a couple of things i noticed though..
If your struggling for clearance with the inlet manifold try getting one from an eg civic or delsol as they use slightly shorter runners than the ek models (which you have)
Also have you thought about leaving the manifold and exhaust 2.5" as going down to 2" is putting abit of restriction in to it?
Otherwise looks fun and quite tempting to do one myself :twisted:
'93 Sol ESi - driven, tracked, donated to build the SiR
'95 Sol SiR - Sold
'98 Mercedes C class - VIP Mobile
Next: possibly another Del Sol for my toy ;)
Andyjdm
Ye' Almighty!
Ye' Almighty!

16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership

Postby Kam » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:59 am

Cheers mate, getting there, allbeit slowly :D

The whole engine came from a EG2 93' samba green del sol vti, its the standard inlet, the clearance issue has been solved now
I haven't bought the rest of the exhaust yet, I can still opt for a 2.5 if needed, I think the guys that normally do these builds recommend 2 for a standard B16a2 and 2.5 for a B18 or a mild tuned one, will look more into it though

Off to buy an air filter and couple of bits n bob and try again :twisted:
SiR_chris wrote:bet you wish you aint started all this now :lol:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Postby Kam » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:26 pm

Went shopping today as you do on a friday, except I dont do all that asda, tesco stuff, I mean proper shops! :lol:

Picked up a couple of filters

Its a bit of an overhang :twisted: but thats not a problem

Although it fires up but struggles to idle I suspected my fuel tank/pump

Its only temporary whilst I spin the engine over to test it, but the fuel filter is brand new but the fuel tank is a secondhand from ebay

Needed to quieten down the exhaust whilst I sort out the starting issues as only the manifold is attached at the mo' so hooked up my original back box to lend some help - side exit yank stylee :lol:

Checked some stuff over on the inlet (that means I stood there coca cola in hand wondering what to do!) and started it up again, again it struggled to idle but suddenly just shot up to 2500rpm and stayed there? Switched off and cranked again and again it went straight to 2500rpm and stayed so at least it fires up! :lol:

I reckon there may have been some crud at the bottom of the secondhand fuel tank and has 'cleared' itself and now its running as it should based on the map thats on the ECU, but I need to access the ECU to change the TPS

Well at least I got a nice glow from the manny for my efforts :P

As soon as I can hook it up to my laptop I can go from there but in the meantime I can at least get on with other stuff and not worry about the engine being a duff?

Me happy :D
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Postby Kam » Sat May 01, 2010 11:22 pm

Hey peeps,

Not much to update apart from I found out today I can change the TPS (Throttle position sensor) by hooking up a laptop so will get some leads and give it a stab, need to drop the idle as I think my neighbours are getting a bit cheesed off with all the 'garage shaking' :lol: They'll understand :twisted:

Idle speed seems to depend on which way the wind is turning, so yesterday 2500rpm and today 1500rpm? Who knows tomorrow it might be 500rpm! :lol:

So today

I'm well happy :mrgreen: as this means while I'm waiting for some leads for the lappy I can get on with other stuff and not worry about this ebay engine being a duff?

:D
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby solman » Sun May 02, 2010 12:49 pm

Good work Sir! Heh, one thing to check with the idle is the inlet manifold torques, mine was a bit funny, one minute it was pefect then high and I had a water leak off of it after a couple heat cycles, a quick retorque and it was all back bang on normal problem is your's looks even more of a pain in the arse to reach the bolts, even more worrying was the fact that the bolts were only finger tight when I removed the old engine I'm surprised they hadn't fallen off but it had been in 17 years so I forgive Mr H.
Did you know DSUK are on:

Image Image Image Image

solman
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

Drives: Crystal Black FK8

Postby Kam » Tue May 11, 2010 11:51 pm

solman wrote:one thing to check with the idle is the inlet manifold torques, mine was a bit funny, one minute it was pefect then high and I had a water leak off of it after a couple heat cycles, a quick retorque and it was all back bang on normal problem

Funny you should say that mate, All bar one inlet nut is on there, the middle bottom one just cannot be got to with the engine in so its gonna stay out, I've done the others up a little tighter than the torque quoted figure, makes me feel better I've done something about leaving a nut off! :lol:

I found out I can remove the IACV on the back of the inlet as my new ecu DTA doesn't use it, also if the idle is high then chances are the brass screw ontop of the throttle wont turn so you need to adjust the idle by the small 7mm nut underneath the throttle cable spindle bracket, did a little proven test by having the car idling and blocking the two holes in the throttle, if the revs drop then lose the IACV.....

Got some loosing to do then :D

Well at least it turns and fires, so no worries there, means I can worry about other stuff instead :shock:

Fitted some steering rack limiters

I've been told I will get 7 degrees less end movement but I dont care as who uses full lock? :wink:

Put my old wheels back on (12x6 deep dish) as I wanted it on all fours as its been six months since I put the axles underneath and really do miss seeing how low a mini is.....

Started putting some countersunks in the honda clutch slave cylinder......

As you can't fit the front bar with the normal bolts, yep its that tight guys! :shock:

Made up my new AP 14mm clutch master cylinder using the same pushrod length as the mini one

The banjo to the slave comes in handy as its in the way of the air filter ducting

But not now :D

Drilled a new hole on the passenger bulkhead to feed one of the heater hoses, I did have both on the other side but it was getting a bit too much over there!

Then my second clarke cheapo jack from machine mart broke (2nd one in a year!) so I went and got another one, I went for a clarke one from machine mart :lol:

Hopefully this will last a bit longer :roll:

Chucked some paint on the mini brake servo and wiper motor cover

Finished off the fuel lines underneath

And in the boot with the tank

The fuel filter is from a renault laguna 3.0 V6.....as you do :wink:

Got some brake lines in from the original regulator valve to each caliper end, my mistake, I told them the wrong end fitting on one, so shaved off a tad from the frame to make sure theres no kink in the hose

Had some brake pads come through, ebc greenies

And my exhaust, opted for a 2" in the end, with a universal link pipe so no cat here, I dont care about global warming :D

I'm gonna chop off the roll tip as I'm not a fan of them... I dont just hate them, I really effing hate them :evil:

I'm leaving for Le Mans in one months time, looks like it aint gonna happen, I'm booked in with Track n Road in essex for the mapping on the 31st, thats if its ready by then after being mot'd taxed and insured......Hmmmmm

:arrow:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Glovermx » Tue May 11, 2010 11:56 pm

good work fella! whats the plan exterior body wise? you going to be keeping it standard? :D
My Ongoing Vti Project Here
Glovermx
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: 2004 Nissan 350Z Gun Metal Silver

Postby Kam » Wed May 12, 2010 12:21 am

glovermx wrote:whats the plan exterior body wise? you going to be keeping it standard? :D

Both! Try and work that one out! :lol:

I'm chucking on a clubman front in the meantime to get me up and running with a 16v vtec mini, it will have two pull away interchangeable fronts, clubman and standard, apart from some alloys its gotta look like a little old ladys car inside and out

I can worry about standard later on in the year, at least the exhaust manifold is sorted there, just need to sort out about the rad and alternator position

Just miss driving a mini at the mo' :(
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby rollyjoely » Wed May 12, 2010 9:37 am

wow well done mate!! some serious work gon into this!! bet it will pull like aything!!
rollyjoely
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
27.9%

15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership

Postby Kam » Fri May 14, 2010 7:38 pm

rollyjoely wrote:wow well done mate!! some serious work gon into this!! bet it will pull like aything!!

Cheers mate, appreciated :D I'll be honest I'm pushing myself at the moment due to a deadline, without my leaving date on the 11th June it would take me forever as its still needs MOT, tax and insurance, there would be no motivation? I'll be gutted big time if I miss it by a day or two, so general living has been put on hold for a bit as theres more important things to do! :lol:

Just put the back box on hanging by the two rubbers to see its final position (ish) to try and line up the link pipe, looks ok (ish) so will tackle that another day as theres other stuff to do but at least thats one less headache as its in the ball park (ish) that links up to my custom manifold (ish) :lol:

Man, I hate roll tip edges! :evil:

Fitted up my new 4 pot brakes with EBC greenies which are made for any 12" wheels, so decided for a laugh to fit my spare steelie wheel........

:shock: To my surprise they fitted.....I thought they meant any 12" alloys!

Whadd'ya reckon? Stick some wheel trims on there and stick with them?

Ultimate street sleeper!!!!!!!

Ultimate non traction in any gear!!!!!!

Hmmmm..... :wink:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Sat May 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Well I can't put it off any longer, I've gotta start on cutting up the fiberglass front and get the dammed thing on there. I can't mount the civic rad or route/tidy the wiring loom or start on the headlights until this front is on. Apart from doing the electrics this was the next big headache for me. bodywork..... :(

After some good advice I picked up one of these bosch multitasker thingy-ma-jingay things for cutting into fiberglass

And practised on a bit of fiberglass, hopefully a bit thats not needed :lol:

Its quite a clever little bit of kit, think of it as a dremel that has been knighted :lol:

I've got the A panels on this fiberglass front as I wasn't sure if I was chopping mine off, I'm not now so this makes it a bit harder for me but o well, good thing it stands up level on its own so gave me chance to test out the above bosch thinghy and get the front grill mounted

And cut out the three sections at the bottom which are standard on clubmans - I'm guessing for more venting?

The driver side corner wing section was fine

But the passenger side 'dropped' down a bit which prevents you moving the headlight cowling over further

After a quick shave, all done

I'll fill it in later.....or not....I might just call it extra ventage :mrgreen:

Trail fitted the front grill with headlamps and headlamp outer sections

:mrgreen:

Cut out the vent sections behind the grill

Then the bit I was dreading, cutting into this fiberglass, I knew this could be a waste of £180 and a trip up to the west mids....

But gotta be done, so using the usual Kam method of measure once cut twice :lol: off I went

Trial fitted for a laugh

Still gotta work out if the wings sit dropped or level? I dont know :oops:

Left it today like this

I need to weld in the A panel support sections first then go from there, besides I got enough fiberglass up my nose so I'm done for today thanks :lol:

Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Sun May 23, 2010 12:20 am

Made up and hooked on some A panel brackets to hold the front

The front is really off line, this is what happens when you let...well me in charge :lol:

Anyway, thought I'd plumb the EG6 rad

Got a rad fan on order, a nice nine inchies should do it :lol:

Started on the clutch res pot, snipped off the ends and turned it up 90 degrees....

so it seats against the inner wing, chopped off the top section of the inner wing for access to the cap

Useless bit of info, bought a stopper for the throttle cable, excited? Should be? Its from a lawnmower, a honda one :lol:

Then the big one, chopping up and getting the DC2 linkage to fit...... :shock:

Started off cutting the linkage in two

Mated up either ends

But needed someone to hold the gear linkage in place, more importantly in neutral?????

Unfortunately I'm working on the car when my mates are at work so I had to call in my other mates, mainly a G clamp and a bit of wood, good buddies :mrgreen:

And needed something to 'maintain' neutral, so as you do I chucked a 10 kilo weight on it! :lol:

Marked up, chopped up and got ready for welding

Against the old mini one

Put the original gear gaitor and knob on, expect the knob is a different thread to honda! How selfish of honda! :lol: So got some super duper tape out for the money shot

After all that, does it work? Dunno? You judge?

Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby rollyjoely » Sun May 23, 2010 12:25 am

great work mate looks like its coming on very nicely.. that seems like a very long throw on the gear stick though.. is there anyway you could make a shorter one or does it not bother you?
rollyjoely
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
27.9%

Postby Kam » Sun May 23, 2010 12:51 am

Long throw????? I thought it was quite short actually? :lol:

I probably could make it shorter but its an arse ache I'd rather not do, I do need to put both seats in to make sure 2nd, 4th and reverse dont catch so I'm guessing at this stage its fine....

I dont mind a long throw, have you ever driven a mini? The gearknob normally goes into either the windscreen or rear passengers! :lol:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby rollyjoely » Sun May 23, 2010 9:43 am

no never driven one, but i forgot how small a mini was so seemed deceptive in the video! Hope it clears the seats though, by the way where did you get the piping for you induction kit as i need to route some cold air my self.
rollyjoely
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
27.9%

PreviousNext

Return to Ongoing Projects