Not Del sol but B20b/vtec going into a mini.........

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Re: Not Del sol but B16a2 going into a mini...after a clean up

Postby Kam » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:38 pm

Latest update: I just bought myself a lottery ticket :wink:

As for the car, I seem to be eating, sleeping, sh****** mini at the moment, got up this morning and straight into the garage, took off the VTEC solenoid switch which is only held on by 3 10mm bolts

And then, well I don't know really? :lol: not really sure what I'm looking for??? So just 'cleaned' it up a bit and chucked it back on :P I blame lack of sleep :mrgreen:

Was a little early to try and start it up as everytime I start the mini up the whole garage 'shakes' and you obviously have a constant high drone.....

So started on cleaning up the rest of the grease everywhere in the bay and hub area, and tried again on sorting out this driveshaft gaitor issues.....

Now, one side held so AFAIC it does work so I presumed the other side was not as tight, managed to find a longer steel cable tie (fold over bend tab type) and stuck a small tack weld on the underside the same as I done before to prevent the initial bit from coming undone, pic is from before but did same thing

On looking at the one that came off, it had not prised apart, it had mearly slid off, when I first got the allspeed heavy duty cv joints I did ponder about how 'deep' the groove is where the ties would sit on the pots?

End of the day this is an engineered piece and I'm not an engineer, but I'm guessing theres been alot of people that have had issues with gaitors sliding off and not mentioning it.....Track n road said they have lost count on how many honda minis they have had this happen to, they reckon the angle the cv sits looking from above (lateral) is not helping

Either way I got a job to do so just got on with double wrapping my new steel cable tie and done it up super super tight, last time was super tight but now its had two supers put into it :wink:

Also, by luck when I was chatting to the rally team yesterday when they helped get me home he gave me a little tip they use on there cars regarding the driveshaft gaitors, they tie them up as normal (twisted wire method, ties etc) but then run a small bead of sikaflex/tigerseal on the end to stop the gator from sliding off

I happen to have some tigerseal lying around during my 'fiberglass' era :twisted: so put it on after, don't worry wheel is on full lock in the picture

All I can do is try?

Time to try and start it up, could go either way as I put the cambelt in myself :shock:

Thats a 10-4 then 8)

Took it out for a little spin, alls fine expect whenever you let off the throttle (any rev) it pops a bit, not too bothered as main thing is cambelt doolally is taken care of, remember kids never let a dingbat change your cambelt, or me! :lol:

Incase your wondering why I went a little balls out with getting this back on the road asap, its because the original plan was after the rollers yesterday it would go back to the bodyshop so he can finish off his work before he goes away for the weekend and does not have anytime after then before we go away on wednesday, he only had yesterday and today, I dropped off the car to him an hour ago, should get it back later today

After the cambelt going yesterday I do feel I have a bit of luck on my side, might try and go swimming with sharks later? Or maybe just wait for the lottery results tonight.....
SiR_chris wrote:bet you wish you aint started all this now :lol:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Postby Paulm » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:44 pm

thats a handy tip for the cv boots. i seem to have the same trouble on my laguna of all things

now you've had a quick 5 minute drive, easy check for the cambelt, line up tdc on the crank pulley and make sure the camgears are still ined up - then you are all sorted :)

it will pop and splurt on overrun, that just overfuelling but it will be sorted out after it has been tuned

good work solider
Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: 1992 greenish SIR B20

Postby SiR_chris » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:32 pm

Niiiiice, thumbs up :)
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: '92 H2B SiR, '02 CW DC5, '06 Black Sport Jazz

Postby Kam » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:21 am

Cheers guys :D I appreciate it

Paulm - my engine is standard, this thing pops even if I'm driving civil round town and changing gear at 2000rpm? but I've noticed I've got a blow from the exhaust (center link pipe to manifold) which was never a brilliant fit in the first place, I reckon a whole day on the rollers has exposed it, need to sort that out first as I reckon that will stop my popping, does feel a bit lacky out on the road it definately aint pushing me back in my seat as it was before....

Whatever it is I got 5 days to sort it out before I chuck this on a ferry heading to germany, looks like I'm gonna be eating, sleeping, sh****** mini again!

Hard life eh? :twisted:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Postby Kam » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:45 pm

I haven't really got time to give a full update (lucky you!) :lol: as I got a shed load of things to do before this car needs to be at brands hatch in the morning, basically:

After I changed the cambelt, it went back to the bodyshop the next morning
He ballsed up badly, I aint got time to post pics but he messed up
Car went back to him and he said he would work on it all bank holiday monday and get it back to me today
Got the car back at 15.30 today, he has sorted out his mistakes and it does now look good, couple of minor bits to sort out but he can do that after our trip
I've been rushing around all day today getting stuff for the car, now I still got things to sort out on the car and then gotta get it ready then clean it and load it, probably wont sleep now
Also as my vtec wasn't working I called the guy who made my loom and he said check the vtec relay, should be 12v but may be 24v? :?
He had a load of 12v relays from his guy but found a couple of 24's in there after he had made a couple of looms, I got one of those ones
Rushed out and got another 12v relay, got back plugged in, took mini out, after about 15mins (on a private airfield of course) :wink: I nailed it past 5k :shock:
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Love it! :mrgreen:
But had to get home though, I still got loads to do
And I haven't eaten yet :P

Will update later if I get time, otherwise I'll update when I get back

:D
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby SiR_chris » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:56 pm

Beware VTEC IS addictive :lol:
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby Kam » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:11 am

SiR_chris wrote:Beware VTEC IS addictive :lol:

Yep, finding that already Chris, its got a nice exhaust tone aswell past 5k :twisted: I'm still hesitant though going past 6k as thats the red line for my standard mini gauge, yes it goes upto 8k but just feels weird like I'm hurting the engine or something :lol:

Been working on it non stop tonight, as we are meeting at 7am :shock: still got a few things to do then load it up, haven't slept yet and no point now :cry: I'm also having to tip-toe from house to garage with bits and bob in my hands so I don't wake the neighbours, not easy :shock:

Cars getting there though, just put the roof rack on and some graphics aswell, gave it a polish 8)

First time I've seen it like this since putting the new front and brightwork on, really pleased with it 8)

See you in a week :D
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby lxstuart » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:41 am

Looking very good, a great job you've done so far.
Hope all goes well for you at the meet.

Oh, and don't worry about waking the neighbours, soon they will grow to love the sound of VTEC too :wink:

SmithYo wrote:bollocks to wd40.... bita spit normally works a charm ;)

crazyasswhiteboi wrote:was worth the effort, just needed a little wriggling when putting in...

Image Not always SFW
lxstuart
DelSolUK Moderator
DelSolUK Moderator

15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership

Drives: '96 Milano Red SiR, '95 Legend Coupe

Postby Kam » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:51 pm

I made it to the 'ring went on track and made it back again! :D Going to germany aint exactly my idea of an ideal test drive :shock: but none the less it passed it! 8)

After working through the night and still working on it at 7am when we was supposed to meet at brands hatch I text one of the guys to say I'm gonna have to meet them at dover as I still got things to do!!! Was getting a bit crazy but things were clicking together nicely, also managed to get on

grille, painted all black for a smooooooth look :lol:

Brand new clubman front bumper, london chroming wanted £280+VAT to re-chrome my old pitted one! New one is alot cheaper! :shock:

Got them to do my under-riders though, these were pitted quite bad and hard to get hold of, come up trumps though 8)

Got some new proper bad boy rims aswell, Look mummy, I'm a proper gangsta now :lol:

Had some new plates done

Put some graphics on for the trip, this one is for a fellow mini member :(

I didn't want to put a delsol.com sticker on and give the game away :wink:

I wont bore you with all the trip pics but heres some just of mine :mrgreen:

Of all the runners on the trip only a handful of people knew about the del sol engine in mine.......following morning I had the bonnet up and pretty much all the runners were gathered round! They honestly had no idea it was packing a punch as we travelled in small convoys so only my convoy knew the looks of the car didnt match the sound..... :P

Looks like my plan worked, make the car look normal inside and outside like a car a little old lady could drive and no one would batter an eyelid but when you put your foot down :shock:

It proper spits pops and bangs off throttle, the sound don't suit the car but I love it! People on the road can't make heads or tails of it? :twisted:

Heres a short vid of trying to gas someone out of there tent :lol: Don't worry they wasn't inside :D

Someone told me it pooooped a flame off throttle????? Cue night vid 8)

Going round the Karussell with two passengers 8)

Only had some minor niggles during the trip, nothing major, all sorted now :D

I know your probably wondering "So how did it go round the track?" Well in a nutshell, a trackday car it aint! :shock: On the road its friggin awesome, on the track with its standard ride height and 165/60/12 tyres and also having more weight on the front and still none on the back it makes it nervous chucking it into a corner, mind you its only been laser tracked, no corner weights or anything like that. It spins up too easy even in third :twisted: great for showboating on a track but not so good if you got the timer running?

Only did 5 laps out there, I went more for the banter than anything, I didn't time any laps myself but only filmed one lap as I needed to keep check on the car, I took various people out and one of the passengers said I did a 10.20 with three of us in the car and I had the roof rack on top! :lol:

I reckon in the right hands this would awesome round a track, I'm still learning about trackdays and handling in general so who knows, but thats not what the build was about, its about giving the mini some much needed kick up the ass for a sunday car for the road tbh its probably got too much but who cares, right? Jenvey throttle bodies are next on the list btw! :lol:

Theres not much to do on the car now, a couple of cosmetic things inside and out and just general squeaks and rattles need finding :lol:

I've got castle combe next week and might do bedford autodrome next month, but, I've still got 7 laps left on my 'ring card, so may do a 'quick' weekend visit back there.....

I love this car more everyday :mrgreen:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby SiR_chris » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:06 am

Congratulations bud! Looks like you had a great time. What a great achievement! Looking forward to your plans re: ITBs :D
Must have shocked a few people :)

Reading stories like this really makes me wanna go to the 'ring :twisted:
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby johnrnugent » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:34 am

I have been following this thread as well, i drove around the ring way back in 82' in a volvo 343 DL with 3 passengers and a boot full of SLR Rifles and Ammunition (my army days), Wouldn't be allowed today.. :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Totally brill thread, mucho respect.. :mrgreen:
johnrnugent
DSUK Jester
DSUK Jester

Drives: Honda Jazz Sport. RED VTi TT

Postby solman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:11 pm

When are you at Combe? i may pop down.

Great journey though, well done!
Did you know DSUK are on:

Image Image Image Image

solman
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

Drives: Crystal Black FK8

Postby Kam » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:51 pm

Thanks for the kind words peeps, makes it worth while :D

SIR_chris, the ring is nice but its full of anything and everything, bikes cars buses, basically a free for all! Bikes and cars should not be allowed in enviroments like that at the same time. At least over here trackdays are controlled, its becoming a victim of its own success out there since top gear aired it. I was also first on scene last october to a fatality out there, sort of reminds you when you go round.......

johnnurgent, your a nutter! :lol:

solman, its next saturday (25th) its a mini only event, I should hopefully get 2 15mins sessions

:D
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby wdb » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:13 pm

awesome build! and well deserved result mate..looks like alot of blood sweat and tears went into it 8)

good luck with future plans :)
"car of wonder, speed of light, my sol will set the road alight, vtec reeling, what a feeling, loving the madness of hondas might"! :lol:

Honda Repair Centre...check us out:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Honda-Rep ... 6696614196
wdb
DelSolUK Moderator
DelSolUK Moderator

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: 92 black (currently) SiR

Postby Glovermx » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:36 pm

Some nice updates mate, coming together nicely! :D
My Ongoing Vti Project Here
Glovermx
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: 2004 Nissan 350Z Gun Metal Silver

PreviousNext

Return to Ongoing Projects