Not Del sol but B20b/vtec going into a mini.........

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Re: Not Del sol but B16a2 going into a mini...after a clean up

Postby skitz » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:27 pm

get some spot weld drill bits, front end comes off pretty easy with a angle grinder and a bit of drilling

thats an allspeed frame right ? im looking at the d-series frame from superfastminis.com at the moment

good call on the change in final drive especially on 12 inch wheels
03 Nighthawk Black CTR track car.
skitz
Ye' Almighty!
Ye' Almighty!

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

Postby Kam » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:21 pm

Cheers on the drill bits info, didnt know you could get spot weld bits? I was just gonna attack it with my normal drill bits :oops:

Yep an allspeed frame, there frame only takes rose joint fittings for the lower arms and tie bars so I had to buy these from them, I've got adjustable ties/lower arms already but they are not rose :(

On the final drive I didnt even know about it until I found it from a search over on 16vmini, not sure what you guys get from your sol's cruising at 70mph but I think if I leave as it is it would be sitting around 4250rpm???

That MTD2 kit is pretty awesome from superfastminis, 15% off at the moment aswell........ :mrgreen:
SiR_chris wrote:bet you wish you aint started all this now :lol:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Postby lxstuart » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:14 am

You might want to bear in mind that if it's reving much lower at 70 mph, it wont pick up as quickly if you put your foot down, to overtake for example.
Yeah, I guess you could just shift down a gear.
In a Sol, 4000rpm in 5th gives around the 80mph mark.

SmithYo wrote:bollocks to wd40.... bita spit normally works a charm ;)

crazyasswhiteboi wrote:was worth the effort, just needed a little wriggling when putting in...

Image Not always SFW
lxstuart
DelSolUK Moderator
DelSolUK Moderator

15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership

Drives: '96 Milano Red SiR, '95 Legend Coupe

Postby skitz » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:45 am

a 4.4 final drive (standard b16a2) should see you at around 3600rpm at 70mph in 5th, so by my rough calculations you should be doing about 2850rpm at 70 with a 3.47 final drive.
minitec used to do the 3.47 final drive but i dont think they do it anymore, its not on there website anyway. mfactory do a 4.04 but thats the shortest i could find with my quick search
03 Nighthawk Black CTR track car.
skitz
Ye' Almighty!
Ye' Almighty!

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

Postby Curtis » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:02 pm

why not try a b18c4 box as that has longer gears to start then change the fd too
ImageImage
Jut wrote:Aaron says alot of things, he's often wrong.
Curtis
DSUK Alumni
DSUK Alumni

Drives: EG6 SiR2

Postby Kam » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:15 am

Curtis wrote:why not try a b18c4 box as that has longer gears to start then change the fd too

Might be worth looking at? I can't decide whether to change the FD or not now or just chuck the whole lot in as it is and worry about it another time! :lol:

**Change of plan now - will be a standard roundnose**

Decided to cram it all in a standard length roundnose now, I'm wanting to keep a standard look inside and out with the exception of some '12 alloys 8) will need a custom radiator, exhaust manifold and an alternative location for the alternator but as they say "we'll cross that bridge"....... :shock:

Well current progress is.....well plucking up the courage really? to cut the front end off, ok so I'm buying a new front end but still putting a grinder to a mint front hurts....... :o

So off came the current subframe

Then after a deep breath :|

No turning back now son!!! :lol:

Offered up the new subframe just for a trial fit

Still got to trim a bit off the body but just wanted to get as much of the front as possible, will also trim the inner wings on the old front panel so I can use this as a guide for measuring the clearances for the custom bits.

Next job is cleaning up the engine and maybe if xmas doesn't get in the way to get a lick of paint over it 8)
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Postby Kam » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:46 am

Good 'ol xmas, it means time off work and time on the car, expect in my case it meant time off work and time on the games consoles as its a bit too cold to work on the car :lol: unfortunately I got a little garage heater for xmas so no excuse now :evil:

Started off with trimming of the excess bits on the wings that I left for some weird reason then put on a recon steering rack and bolted the subframe back up

I wont bore you with the other mini bits I pulled off :lol:

Started to put a lick of halfords :lol: finest on the block

Might be doing the head black, not sure yet, the cam cover will be colour coded to the car colour

Checked gearbox for a LSD

Good good none there :P

Then the gearbox was looking a little sorry for itself

So as its xmas and all that malarky......

Got some little bits and bobs for xmas :mrgreen:

Got a blueprint clutch and pressure plate, A 3.4 final drive :D and an ACT lightweight flywheel coming in at a nice 4 kilos 8) Not sure if the flywheel will help for this conversion but I know the final drive will :twisted:

Just like a mini, its coming along, shortly and slowly :lol:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby SiR_chris » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:52 pm

Wow that's a low final drive! You make me feel guilty with the lack of work I have done over Christmas.. lol
Goodluck and keep it up :)
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: '92 H2B SiR, '02 CW DC5, '06 Black Sport Jazz

Postby Kam » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:56 pm

Got my ACT lightened flywheel and (apparent budgie squeaking) blueprint clutch on :lol:

Finally the local gearbox place opened up after xmas and all the snow malarky so I was able to drop my box off to get the new 3.4 final drive put in, took a couple of days but all done, so hopefully five usable gears now with my 12' wheels and a top speed of around 186mph :wink:

Had to put some plates down in each footwell to secure the subframe, I don't do any metal work so this was straightforward enough, will get someone else to seam weld them down though :wink:

Not sure how you 'sol peeps drop your lump in but with the allspeed frame you need to drop gearbox side down first and hook up that mount then the cam cover side, so had a little play with dangerous lop sided hanging engines :lol:

All in, still needs to be shifted around a bit but its in there 8)

Things are really tight in there :shock: theres not meant to be much clearance but it is seriously tight. This is the rear diff hitting the steering rack box with the top bolt removed from the rack

I need to put a countersunk bolt in there and shave a bit of the diff, there is a 'lug' which I think is not needed so that will go then just shave a 'little' from the diff casing...

The rear mount is not hooked up yet, this will give a little bit more clearance, below is me pushing the engine so its rocked just using the two top mounts, little bit more room

From other side of rack as its sits on its own

Its a bit like that tescos saying "every little mm helps" :lol:

Getting there, big headaches to come though as I'm keeping standard length round nose, all part of the fun yeah :(
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Glovermx » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:30 am

Interesting Reading fella, good work. When's the plan on getting this finished for? Summer? :D
My Ongoing Vti Project Here
Glovermx
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: 2004 Nissan 350Z Gun Metal Silver

Postby Kam » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:46 pm

I'm hoping to take it to Le mans 24hr this year on 12/13th june, I need a deadline otherwise it'll never get done, lots of custom parts still needed which is the major headache of keeping a standard length roundnose.

All fun :shock:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Not much progress but anything done is helpful!! :lol:

I've decided to keep the stock inlet as it is, most would cut it up and shorten and re-weld it but not something I can do myself, its not like the inlet angles are straight to start with? So decided to cut up the bulkhead and make the stock one fit, will need to get the bulkhead boxed in but I think its a bit easier this way :lol:

So cleared all components and wires and asked Mr Grinder to play

On the underside of inlet manifold where you 'sol boys use the fixings for the inlet support bracket, we dont

So Mr grinder played a bit more

Lots of grinding means lots of usage!! :shock:

Trial fitted the inlet manifold

You can see how much it cuts into the bottom of the bulkhead

Got the new front bar on the front subframe, the downpipe will be proper tight, not just tight but proper hugging tight to the block! Welcome to standard roundnose issues!!!! :shock:

Got some custom driveshafts come through, just need some inner CV which I'm having trouble finding......

And a shifter from a dc2 integra type r, which always sounds nice in a pub :wink:

This needs to cut down and re-welded up to fit but I've been told it uses the original mini holes as per the old shifter so we'll see :D

Loads to do, but all fun :evil:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:35 pm

Ok, been doing bits n bob so would rather update in bulk than just here and there

Managed to get hold of some inner cv joints and a sump thanks to a mate so this was one (or two) less headaches to worry about

Managed to fit them in the right way round thanks to PaulM :lol:

He also managed to source me a sump (not the most easiest of things to find unless you want to pay £242 to Mr Honda!) and weld in a baffle kit

Got my pre-made wiring loom come through which is a DTA ecu setup as I dont know what I'm doing so a pre made loom is ok by me :lol:

Also comes with a DIS pack so no honda dizzy and a bracket to mount a sensor which picks up on the 'teeth' which has been added to my honda pulley I sent them

The sensor bracket uses the original alternator holes

I've got another bracket for mounting the alternator which uses the power steering holes at the front so a longer belt will be needed

Also I'm chucking on a clubman front end now to give me a half arse chance to get this on the road and try and take it to Le Mans again in 68 days time! :shock:

Picked up a two piece fibreglass front which I will try and fit myself somehow? :o

I am still doing a standard length roundnose aswell, I'm having two pull away fronts on mine, clubby for trackdays and roundnose for shows or just swap and choose as I feel fit. This will hopefully give me a chance to get back on the road sooner rather than later as its been five months now since I last drove a mini! :P

Got a JDM rad through aswell

Now the arsey bit - making the bulkhead box, taken me a good month to do as I've had a couple of issues this end (non car related) so taken up alot of time and I think killed my deadline now? Will keep at it though

Started off

Pigeon shittin is getting better! :lol:

It aint as neat as the pics look buts its passable! :lol:

Should hopefully have my custom exhaust here soon, still got helluva lot to do so not sure now if 68 days is possible as still got to fit front end get painted, get mot'd and book it in to be mapped and oh yeah fit the engine and electrics and hook everything up!!!! :shock:

:twisted:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:36 am

Hey peeps, been doing alot but dont really seem I'm getting anywhere, you know how it is....... :?:

Making the bulkhead box knocked me back for six, next time I'll chop the inlet up and make the runners shorter I think :lol:

Anyways, made up some new floorplates, got some 1.5mm this time to replace the 'two' 1mms resting against each other I had before, should be stronger this way just welding in a single thicker plate aswell? Only really needed for track use but any stability helps

Also found some rust, considering this was supposed to of been restored two years ago this aint good :shock: not much I can do now, my fault for not checking properly at time of purchase, time to pigeon shat again!

Ok, back of my B16a2 inlet

The company that made me a pre-made loom said I didnt need this plug which went to No'1, not sure what it is so hopefully you lot know, is this a MAP sensor?

I know No'2 goes to the brake servo which I'm using, and No'3 is the IACV which I'm keeping, No'4 is the TPS sensor right? Keeping this aswell

Shaved off the back of the inlet holding the No'1 assembly, been assured this aint needed......hope so :lol:

Surprise surprise, my modded bulkhead box was still catching on the inlet, so...........angle time! :roll:

New addition being made for a bit more clearance

After some slap n tickle, its on! :roll:

Pushed the engine back and tried the inlet, all thumbs up now :D

Engine will sit alot more forward, but still good to know it can be removed anytime if needed

Also got my custom manifold aswell, still need to get the remainder pipe and hook up to this but at least this gives me a chance to check for clearances etc

I've had a reducer made from 2 1/2" to 2" for a standard mini big bore pipe

The bracket which holds the crank sensor was hitting the suspension nut

You can see where it needs a shave or two :P

Started on the fuel lines, got the old ones out and got some 8.0mm OD copper lines from B&Q and went a bit OTT underneath

Decided to fill up the gearbox oil in style seeing as the driveshafts weren't in there :lol:

Had some nice bits come through, braided hoses, 4 pot brakes, usual marlarky when pushing your car outside its comfort zone! :twisted:

Popped on driveshafts and hubs

Don't worry, the tie bars are bent to give caliper clearance on bigger wheels :D

Final engine postion, I suppose it'll have to do.....OCD....OCD....OCD.......OCD......OCD :arrow:

Tried on the custom manifold and 'sol alternator for a money shot! :lol:

The top section of the bracket uses the power steering holes, not sure what the bottom ones are for......

Was warned it may sit a little close, no monkey pile! :lol:

So snipped off a bit, you can still click it in and remove if needed quite easily

Will probably heat wrap the manny as there aint alot of clearance still, I'm talking 8mmish? Awesome! :P

You can see how much it sticks out, and why people try and find a position for it in the wing near the cam mount

Clutch slave cylinder, been told its a bit tight on the front brace bar.....really? :lol:

Need to drill out and put some M-8 countersunks in there, yep the extra 3mm will help loads :mrgreen:

I hate electrics, I hate electrics, everyone repeat after me.... :|

Thought I'd start on the leccys, no getting away from it so suck it up solider! :!:

Fed the original mini loom back through the tiny hole I made in the bulkhead box

Started taking the original mini loom apart to get rid of what I now dont need, oh what joy :cry:

Chopped off what I think I dont need? :lol:

This is only half the DTA loom in, the engine and alternator side only, the other side with the ecu relays etc will be left for another day!

I was getting dis-heartend at my knowledge of electrics and the mass of cut wires in the original mini that I cut! :shock:

Got a massive morale booster though! We have light with half a loom!

This got me real excited that it gave me the horn! :shock:

You dirty lot :wink:

Unfortunately my deadline of leaving for Le Mans is now 51 days away, so thats pretty much dead in the water, and this includes still buying parts, still working out where parts go, getting everything hooked up, getting it booked in for mapping, getting it booked in at a bodyshop, getting it MOT'd........Oh well :cry:

I aint giving up though, its a learning curve all the way and will stick with it

Still, bring it on! :D
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:08 am

Had a few days at it so thought I might aswell post up (you lucky lot) :lol:

Still not sure on the wiring I done, I did have a pre made loom but still needs to be spliced into the mini loom, and if your a complete numpty like me around electrics then it dont matter having a pre made done - its all french to me :wink:

I've ditched the 'sol fuel feed pipe into the filter

And chopped the banjo off, then fed a pipe from that to my feed pipe/hose, the outlet on the mini fuel tank is hooked up to a renault laguna 3.0 V6 inline fuel pump as it rated more than the standard honda one - and a helluva lot smaller aswell! :shock:

Sprayed up the mini brake regulator valve and honda Kambelt cover

Then done the Kambelt 8)

As my ecu is a DTA it doesn't use the honda dizzy so off it came and a bung put in its place

Custom bracket that goes in its place

Then the blue oval rust bag DIS coil pack

Note the pack - its a wasted spark system, so I can hook up no'1 HT lead to either 1 or 4 cylinder, and no'2 to either 2 or 3, had to make a phonecall to find this out? Whatever happened to the 1-3-4-2? :lol:

Cut off the section of the crank sensor mounting bracket that was hitting on the mini subframe

Fed the crank sensor through and left it about 0.05mm away from the 'teeth' that was modified on my crank pulley I sent off

Managed to get some random coolant hoses......

And feed them through

The rear coolant pipe on your 'sols are a problem in this frame if you decide to try and slide on a hose with about 25mm clearance???? :shock:

I found a way through it, literally

Problemo solved :D

Still got space for a couple of jubilees if I'm feeling flush :lol:

Tried out my 'random coolant hoses' for a rad fitment

I think thats close enough :D

I did have some alloy hoses connectors on standby, just incase

As this engine was bought secondhand from egay and I hadn't heard it running I wanted to know where I stood at this point with this build? So decided to hook up a temporary mini fuel tank, and the rad using the finest of finest mini honda rad build stands you can get on the market - clarkey from machine mart! :lol:

Chucked in some Mobil 1 and bit of fuel, and cranked it

Did not fire, couple of leaks, nothing major, sorted them and tried again

Its hunting for idle, dies on throttle, theres a couple of vacuum hoses still unconnected and no air filter

Tried a couple more times and got a few seconds of running but its still hunting and idling high straight to low and then struggles....

I think its a vacuum problem so will try again tommorrow as it was getting way past 9pm and this has no exhaust just the manifold so with the garage shaking and it sounding like a V8 on throttle doesn't do me any favours with my neighbours :twisted:

Happy here though :D
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

PreviousNext

Return to Ongoing Projects