Not Del sol but B20b/vtec going into a mini.........

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Re: Not Del sol but B20b/vtec going into a mini.........

Postby Paulm » Thu May 17, 2012 2:11 pm

Ta very much, I'm wanting to go for the weld free ones :)
Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: 1992 greenish SIR B20

Postby Kam » Thu May 17, 2012 3:50 pm

Paulm wrote:Ta very much, I'm wanting to go for the weld free ones :)

I had no choice as my rocker was already powdercoated, also used some hondabond both sides and left it for a couple of days, belt n braces and all that

Heres that link again that someone gave me, without this theres no way on earth I would've tackled it

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech ... index.html
SiR_chris wrote:bet you wish you aint started all this now :lol:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Postby Paulm » Thu May 17, 2012 7:07 pm

when you put the baffle back in, did you just use silicon? im a bit wary of having that in the engine considering how hot the rocker cover can get :?
Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby Kam » Thu May 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Paulm wrote:when you put the baffle back in, did you just use silicon? im a bit wary of having that in the engine considering how hot the rocker cover can get :?

I tapped some new m6 holes and used some heat resistance silicone yeah, I threadlocked the m6 bolts but I didn't tap all the holes as the bolt would've gone through because the rocker is tapered in certain areas, end of the day aslong as the corner sections are taken care of then your cool, think I had about ten bolts down
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Postby Kam » Thu May 17, 2012 10:16 pm

Had some time today and did some pre checks and fired it up, started up straightaway and idled sweet, gauges were all working fine so let it warm up, all the rad hoses were slowly getting warm then the rad fans kicked in at 201 degrees (dials are in F btw) and the mini gauge was showing the halfway marker, let the rad cycle twice and fans kicked in spot on 201 with gauge halfway and everything was going nice, even the breather/catch tanks were keeping quiet, all sweet :D

Then, as usual my luck kicked in, noticed some coolant dripping down whilst checking around and it was coming from the second rad, no problem I'll switch it off and tighten up the hoses expect the hose ends were dry - it was coming from the rad itself.....

I could see where the leak was coming from and I felt like sh!t, so took the rad out

One of the mounting bolts had pierced the fins on tightening :( because clearance was tight I couldn't see it happening

Felt sick, nuff said

Spent a couple of hours re-plumbing the rad so its back to one rad again

Then started it up again

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg25 ... nerad4.mp4

This ones show when the fan kicks in with the mini gauge at 3/4 temps, couldn't get the camera head on but its at 3/4

Fan comes on at 201F (94C) cycled this three times, each time it kicks at 201F

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg25 ... nerad6.mp4

This one shows after three rad cycles there is no smoke from the breather tanks or rocker cover outlets, all seems calm and fine so far, you can even feel the breather cap on the mocals venting some aswell

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg25 ... nerad7.mp4

So conclusion is the second rad does work and keeps the mini gauge at halfway after two earlier cycles, there was no issues with the flow going from out of the bottom of the first UPTO the second, type-r water pump ftw

But I've only got one rad now and it appears its holding up at the moment with temps sitting at 3/4, I'll have to see what its like (idling in the garage) with the front end and grille on

Am I happy, no, yes the main rad looks like it works and it gives me some much needed space now over the driver side tyre incase anything needs to placed there but I'm hoping the second rad can be fixed up incase this still has trouble with the front end on and the grille aswell but I'll have to wait and see what the guys say, in the meantime thats a huge dent out of my wallet sitting on the floor at the moment

If anyone is wondering why I didn't just run with the first one to begin with and see where I stand and go from there, then all I will say is get yourself a standard nose mini and try it yourself then let me know how you get on on that basis

As I can run the air filter further up the wing I got some ducting for it

But I might try and put those inner wheel arches in first and work out the air flow
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Tue May 22, 2012 11:07 pm

Not much done as I aint had much time on it, and I'm running out of it as Le Mans is about 23 days away :(

I messed up cutting the slats in the grille as they needed to be cut very close and ended up cutting through a slat so had to source another and managed to get it right this time, also chopped off the cover plate on the driver side as that side needs as much ram air as possible

Then decided to throw some primer on it, aerosol cans at there pikey best!

Just gonna leave it like that for now, got no time to take it to a bodyshop, the front end and bonnet still needs some work to fit right which I will tackle later but this will at least cover up a few build battlescars

Then decided to do another one step forward two steps back as I wasn't too happy with the baffle plate that had been sealed in under the rocker (cheers Paul!) it was meant to be high temp sealant but something just didn't feel right with it and was nagging me, so whipped off the baffle plate and got rid of the old sealant

Paulm wrote:when you put the baffle back in, did you just use silicon? im a bit wary of having that in the engine considering how hot the rocker cover can get :?

Laid some trusty Hondabond down instead, meets all my requirements so I can now sleep at night Paul! :mrgreen:

Chucked my other yoko A048's on all round aswell, I'll worry about replacing that A539 that got shredded another time

Need to make a start on getting the front end wired up and all the chromework back on, then hopefully sort out this bonnet safety hook thing and book it in for a MOT, still need to run the engine in as I'm not gonna be able to do 1000 miles in 23 days! and I can hardly break it in whilst giving it a proper road test on the way to Le Mans either, so I need to get it to the MOT asap and pray it goes smoothly then pray the rollers can fit me in somewhere and they can break it in for me

Fun times :-|
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Paulm » Wed May 23, 2012 8:55 am

:) alwasy better safe than sorry, think i need to get me some hondabond lol
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol

Postby Kam » Wed May 23, 2012 9:16 pm

As usual I've left the wiring for another day, I know wiring up the removable front end aint difficult but I really do hate it with a passion...

So thought I'd have a stab at the bodywork to at least get it ready for the front end wiring, driver side headlamp is a bit on the close side, its the best I can do, so got about 5mm to the radiator fins! :shock:

The front grille was doing my head in, after all that flapping about cutting some slats down it leaves a bit too much on show, so now when the sun hits it the radiator and exhaust manifold shine up! - stealth fail! :(

Picked up a couple of bits from a fellow mini owner a few days ago and he gave me a front grille that he had lying around that he cba to sell, I didn't really need it as I was working on my current one but had it anyway, today I needed it :cool:

I'm gonna cut that driver side shielding away but I can actually leave the slats as they are, looks like when I last messed around with the radiator position I managed to grab a few more mm clearance, rad to slats is about 10mm now, plus it covers up where necessary so hopefully back to stealth again (bonnet just laid down)

Well stealth anyway when the bottom blue bits of the subframe are anything but blue!

MOT is booked up for tuesday....
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby johnrnugent » Wed May 23, 2012 10:22 pm

Just a thought on the grill.. Could you not have put a fine gauze sheet behind the grill to eliminate glare and attain your Stealth... :shock: :shock:
That would also protect the rad as well.. :D :D
johnrnugent
DSUK Jester
DSUK Jester

Drives: Honda Jazz Sport. RED VTi TT

Postby Kam » Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 pm

johnrnugent wrote:Just a thought on the grill.. Could you not have put a fine gauze sheet behind the grill to eliminate glare and attain your Stealth... :shock: :shock:
That would also protect the rad as well.. :D :D

Did think along those lines, problem is the gaping holes would be too large so you would see the gauze quite easy, also gauze is good but sometimes you need the strength of the actual grille itself, you never know whats gonna hit it....

With a 1275 a-series I hit this and didn't know until I parked up

What a silly place to sleep! :)

So if I can do that with just a mini engine then I don't know whats gonna land there with some "waaaaaah Bwaaaaaaaaah" going ons! :mrgreen:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby johnrnugent » Fri May 25, 2012 9:48 pm

Shame it wasn't a Chicken.. it would be kfc then... :lol: :lol: 8) 8) :lol: :lol:
johnrnugent
DSUK Jester
DSUK Jester

Drives: Honda Jazz Sport. RED VTi TT

Postby Kam » Fri May 25, 2012 11:06 pm

Finally started on wiring up the front end

Never mind the blanket, it was a xmas gift for me but I kindly donated it to the garage floor, I'm very kind like that you know

Anyhoos, took me 4 hours, must be a record for me, dear diary moment and all that...

Quick (very) vid

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg25 ... ille13.mp4

As I'm not using the drivers side under wing space now I'm gonna try and mount my radiator overflow/expansion bottle there as its the only space left, obviously the honda OEM overflow bottle is larger than vanessa feltz so needed one more suited to the job, popped down the breakers and found one, I won't tell you what its from as thats a secret

I should be able to get the inlet pipe level with the main rads outlet pipe, only problem is the inlet pipe is at the bottom and the overflow pipe (for the overflow bottle!) is at the top, so will block up the top pipe and do some hoseage work with the bottom one to get it as level as poss, oh and the inlet is 25mm and obviously my rad outlet pipe is the normal 10mm, so will be interesting but should work still fine, he says

Also picked up a scrap bonnet so I can salvage the safety hook in the corner for my bonnet

Only problem is apart from maybe off centre there aint much 'inside slam' panel for it to catch :lol:

'tis a nice blanket

Worse case scenario I'll weld it to the bonnet so it hooks up to the side section of the wing?

MOT guy says it needs a safety hook, so be it, at this point he's holding the cards, so if he says go jump off the white cliffs I'm there

Next job - go find some low level cliffs as I'm scared of heights
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Fri May 25, 2012 11:08 pm

johnrnugent wrote:Shame it wasn't a Chicken.. it would be kfc then... :lol: :lol: 8) 8) :lol: :lol:

Pick it, cook it, lick it and eat it, roadkill at its finest

Innit!
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Sun May 27, 2012 10:25 pm

Another long day today, I've done 20 hours in two days and am suffering now! what a way to spend your days off in this weather......being stuck in the garage, you might like doing that kind of stuff but I don't! :lol:

Enough of my biaaatching....

Started off with trying to work out how to work this overflow/expansion/whatever you want to call it bottle out, its got two pipes, a small overflow at the top and a larger inlet at the bottom, the bottom pipe will sit too low so ideally I need the other one but they are just pipes, so time for some genius thinking, picked up a drill and bored out the top hole and blocked up the bottom pipe with the good 'ol trusty tigerseal

Had some coolant overflow pipe wrapped up in a spiral overnight and chopped off a small section and gasket sealed it in place, the spiral thats fed through now sits at the bottom of the bottle, put a main hose on top and job done

Mounted it up where I did have the second rad

Overflow pipe sitting level and cap is 10mm under the wing - job done! 8)

Also welded on a central support for the bonnet slam panel as it was bending with little pressure, it clears the exhaust manifold fine

Then the bonnet safety hook malarky, this was giving me a real headache as the MOT guy says it needs one period, so popped down to KFC for some inspirational stroke motivational food.....

by the way it tasted awesome as usual if anyone cares :mrgreen:

Started off with some savagery with the angle grinder

Gaffer taped it up to the center to catch what was left of the slam panel but it was a no go, there is 'maybe' some room there but we're talking mm's here so with the engine rocking about on the move and even the front end being re-fitted not straight and true its not worth the gamble so went with plan b (the idea not the singer!)

Welded it up to the side of the bonnet

And welded on a catch on the wing as the angle the hook sits wouldn't hook the underside of the wing no matter how far I moved it across

Does it work? of course it does!!! I found out by mistake as I clicked the bonnet down as usual and lifted it as I have been doing - very quickly, but I forget about the hook (as its the first time I've used it on this front end) and it soon hooked up! :lol:

Then started to chuck some interior in, god I love this Rio design! 8)

Need some carpets next payday, newton commercial looks good but a bit pricey, budget stuff should do....

Getting some chromework on

I used this numberplate with the previous clubman front, holes don't line with a roundnose/bullnose/bellnose front - great another one needed....

Bonnet alignment still needs playing about with but I'm sure the MOT guy won't find it critical for his needs!

Best I can do with the wing/scuttle as I'm leaving my a-panel flares sitting on the outside, I know thats not mini ethical but suck it up :wink:

Got MOT tuesday so just got some small stuff left to do which I will tackle tomorrow, but the main brunt of it is done

Also took it for a quick little drive earlier (on private grounds) but couldn't stay out long as I didn't have the front end on and was getting some funny looks, it was pulling me side to side but I know that aint torque steer as it was doing the exact same thing as before with the b16 after I played around with the suspension

I aint got no geometry equipment here so will try and see what I can at least do with an i-phone

Oh and the clutch is fine, for a stage 4 paddle clutch I was expecting it to be a menace, but apart from the total travel being short it is fine, more than fine, its not on/off atall

Next job - more KFC as its motivational! :lol:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Tue May 29, 2012 12:37 am

Another long day today, been finishing off the small bit n pieces, its amazing how much time it takes to do even what seems like simple and quick jobs...

Messed about with the rear tyres aswell, I ain't got no geometry equipment here (or a bit of string!) so just did by sight and a straight edge, it looked like one the rear tyres was sitting level and the other with some toe out, played around with the KAD brackets and got them sitting with slight toe in, cranked up the adjustable shocks aswell. Took it out for a quick spin and it was much better, didn't pull me to one side like yesterday, obviously I will get it done properly where I normally go, just need it driveable so it don't scare the bejeesus out of the MOT guy :lol:

Also whilst out I had the whole front end on, the under bonnet temps are pretty horrific! the heat cannot escape anywhere and theres hardly any clearance between the bonnet and everything else under there which makes nearly everything under there untouchable, definitely gonna have to heat wrap the intake pipe as its gonna get heat soaked

Finished up for tonight so now its all ready for the MOT in a few hours time....

Nervous time
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

PreviousNext

Return to Ongoing Projects