Not Del sol but B20b/vtec going into a mini.........

Doing lotsa work, or just replacing your bumper, tell us and show us here...

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Re: Not Del sol but B20b/vtec going into a mini.........

Postby solman » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:19 pm

Don't drill the baffle Kam, just the outer bit.
Did you know DSUK are on:

Image Image Image Image

solman
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

Drives: Crystal Black FK8

Postby Kam » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:10 pm

Still waiting for parts and stuff and had a few days off work so would be nice if they came through before then but no, great

In the meantime popped down to the new forest for a little break and we decided to go through the safari park, interesting sign this

But its the main entrance before you head in which made me laugh as its displays the stuff 'they' have nicked, its hard to get your head around this but if you have ever owned a mini then I'm sure you'll understand! :lol:

Got back and finally had some parts slip through the door, need to get the front hubs done as the passenger wheel locked up on the rollers, new bearings and new oil seal for the crank

I've also made another "slight" adjustment to the rad, gave it in before I went away and picked them up today

They have mounted my fan on

And as I'm still having a bit of trouble closing my bonnet I needed a couple of sections cut away from the top tank

And the bottom tank corner to clear the clutch slave cylinder banjo fitting

On the second rad I've got them to make up some brackets for me, don't worry it'll all make sense whenever it goes back in, just remember there is always a method to my madness

I found with it idling in the garage it was getting to just under the max reading then the fan kicked in and cooled it down but it didn't really come down much and fan kicked in again and thats just idling with the one main rad, so will need the second rad, more so now with both tanks on the first rad having some sections removed

Yes it was fine at the rollers but it has a ruddy great fan whacked on the front, I think having a similar fan mounted on the front 'might' be visible when the bonnet is closed! so trust me, I've done the calculations beforehand and knew this main rad would not cut it, second one is needed

Also had a new oil catch can come through (cheers solman) mocal 1 litre jobbie, wanted 2 litre but don't have room!

Was given this link from another forum member for the rocker cover fitting - http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech ... index.html

So time to get on it

Started off with changing the front wheel studs for longer ones, although I'm using factory steel wheels I've got some spacers on for clearance so went from 35mm to 50mm jobbies

Then time to tackle the passenger side hub which locked up on the rollers, was having a complete nightmare trying to get the hub off, it wasn't budging, ended up taking the whole shaft out

You can see where the bearing has collapsed

Two hours later and its still not off

Tried both ends but its a no go, so new outer cv joint needed, threads are now gone aswell whilst trying

Can't even get the cv joint off the driveshaft! don't see why its not budging even after an hour of smacks! The bearings have collapsed yes for the hub but the other end which the driveshafts pops into should not be affected.

I need to salvage the driveshaft as its allspeeds own custom one, I'm gonna angle grind the hub off as its goosed and I got a new replacement here anyway but I need another allspeed outer cv joint as the outer threads are gone on this so will try and angle grind this cv off, need to save this driveshaft as they aint cheap and I think are only sold in pairs - not good for my wallet or sanity at the moment

Car is feeling like crap at the moment

I think me and this mini has ESP or something as I can't say I'm feeling too rosy here either at the moment :(
SiR_chris wrote:bet you wish you aint started all this now :lol:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Postby Kam » Thu May 10, 2012 9:52 pm

Okey dokey, update time

I've fixed the second rad into place but still gotta plumb it in somehow, it sits 5mm from the underside of the wing and the two bike fans clear the arch side and side indicators - job done! :D

Been mulling over this oil/breather setup for some time now, so far I got that 0.5 litre silver one which lets face it on its own aint cutting the mustard, so I got a 1.0 litre mocal jobbie to work alongside it, problem is so far I've only got the single pipe from the back of the block and the original one from the top of the rocker cover to vent - no way enough

So I bought another one, another 1.0 litre mocal jobbie, bear with me on this....... :lol:

Huge thanks to solman for the heads up 8)

The mocal fittings are small and pooh so I picked up some larger ones, 13mm with 1/4 bsp

Then my moment of geeeenius! how to mount both of them? was gonna go side by side but no, gone back to back! Went all blue peter with the 13mm fittings ;)

Guess what the clearance is to the underside of the wing? yep 5mm! :lol:

I won't bother explaining this bit, gave me an ultra headache! :oops:

Then pulled up the baffle from the rocker cover and tapped some new holes

Installed some 90 degree outlets (well three of them actually!) and put the baffle back in place

Guess what the 90 degree outlets clearance is to the bonnet? yep that 5mm again! :lol:

So three from the front of the rocker and the original off the back of the rocker and one from the block, hopefully its enough!

I've replaced the crank oil seal aswell as that was leaking

Next job is the headache of the rad pipes, apart from getting both rads plumbed up with 32mm pipes I also need to find room for my 76mm intake piping on that side aswell but don't really have the room for everything as I got my front end female caravan plug sitting down there so need to leave room for the other end

Got an idea though so will try that

All fun :cool:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Postby Kam » Fri May 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Not much time on it today so not much done

Made up a new bracket to hold the clutch res because I'm having trouble slipping the intake piping on the throttle body, problem is the clutch res position clearance was fine for the standard inlet I ran with before but the skunk2 inlet is angled just a wee bit higher so its snagging, all sorted now, new bracket gives just enough clearance for the intake pipe and the res hose is chopped to fit

Also wrapped the braided clutch master hose with some convolated sleeving I had lying around as the hose was getting super hot from all the heat and I don't fancy boiling my fluid, yes I know the sleeving aint heat resistance but right now its better than a chocolate teapot

As for chopping, yet more is being chopped off the bonnet, this had to come off to clear my rocker cover outlet pipes

As for coming off, this is a better pic of my tyre that locked up at the rolling road when the wheel bearing locked up, 3 seconds done this......

Next job - wait for more parts :roll:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Mon May 14, 2012 9:39 pm

Had some parts turn up so I've managed to plumb in the second radiator now, bit of a headache with the hosing but I think it should be sorted, got it going out the bottom of the first rad to the top of the second rad then out the bottom and back to block

I'm hoping it pushes it out of the bottom hose of the first rad with enough pressure as it needs to go through a 180 degree then a 45 degree then a 90 degree - all uphill! :shock: just about got room to access the caravan plug for the front end aswell

Got the air filter ducting routed aswell, it actually sits touching both the hoses on the second rad as its a 76mm jobbie (hence the top hose being slightly pushed up) but I'm gonna wrap the whole ducting with some heat wrap at some point, will probably run some cold air ducting pipes to the filter itself

Still need to find room for a radiator expansion tank which can be mounted high enough expect theres one problem, I've completely run out of room now :roll:

Driver side headlamp will have to go on now without the rear plastic bowl cover, and the plastic plug needs to be shortened down to the absolute minimal as it catches the fins :-|

If anyone was wondering how I'm gonna protect the air filter and rad from road crud being flung from the tyre and prevent the oil breather box on the other side leaking onto the tyre aswell as just keeping the bay as clean as poss then its simple - inner arch liners

Obviously they don't fit as they are made for a mini subframe and its components but a little bit of chopping here and there and I should be able to get 30% of it fitted up after being cut up :lol: without making it awkward to get the front end on, but we'll see

I'm hoping to drill and weld the wideband sensor in the exhaust this week sometime and got a few more bits to finish off then hopefully I can go for fire up
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby solman » Mon May 14, 2012 10:17 pm

Christ thats all a very tight fit Kam!
Did you know DSUK are on:

Image Image Image Image

solman
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

Drives: Crystal Black FK8

Postby johnrnugent » Mon May 14, 2012 10:30 pm

Loads of room there :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

You can pack my suitcase when I go on holiday.. :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
johnrnugent
DSUK Jester
DSUK Jester

Drives: Honda Jazz Sport. RED VTi TT

Postby Kam » Mon May 14, 2012 10:46 pm

solman wrote:Christ thats all a very tight fit Kam!

Take it up with the guy who invented the mini, me know nothing :twisted:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Kam » Wed May 16, 2012 11:25 pm

Trying to get done what I can before the end of the week, so today it was wideband day

Got an AEM jobbie

As it needs to be placed at a slight angle the only place was on the other side of the flexi but I was worried about the gas flow hitting the 02 sensor first and maybe the wideband not getting the full flow, but theres about nine inches between them so it should be fine

Also, if like me you have the whole exhaust system in one piece and you don't have enough room to raise it above your head and shake it all about to remove the shavings then a telescopic magnetic pen is a godsend!

Bung welded up

All wired up to the dash and done

Couple more checks then hopefully fire it up tomorrow, bit late now to shake the garage :twisted:
Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby Curtis » Thu May 17, 2012 1:18 am

still not sure you needed the extra rad but loving this build, brings 2 cars i love together very well!
ImageImage
Jut wrote:Aaron says alot of things, he's often wrong.
Curtis
DSUK Alumni
DSUK Alumni

Drives: EG6 SiR2

Postby Goddard26 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:17 am

this is amazing good job
Goddard26
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
79.8%

Postby Paulm » Thu May 17, 2012 7:17 am

Kam, where did you buy your 90 degree outlets that you have bolted to the rocker cover?
Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: 1992 greenish SIR B20

Postby Kam » Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 am

Kam
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
63.5%

Postby johnrnugent » Thu May 17, 2012 12:23 pm

Make sure you post a Video Kam, this will sound Amazing... :D :D

Am sure I seen an inch of space in there you could use :lol: :lol:
johnrnugent
DSUK Jester
DSUK Jester

Drives: Honda Jazz Sport. RED VTi TT

Postby SiR_chris » Thu May 17, 2012 1:29 pm

You need a shoehorn hanging from your rear view mirror ;)
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: '92 H2B SiR, '02 CW DC5, '06 Black Sport Jazz

PreviousNext

Return to Ongoing Projects