Lube requirements (Thats what she said :D lol )

Post here if you have any problems with any aspect of your Delsol.

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Lube requirements (Thats what she said :D lol )

Postby kruelt » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:49 pm

As stated I need advice on lubrication please.
What lube/grease should I use on the Boot Motor moving parts?
And what lube/grease should I use on the plastic cog set in the roof lifter mechanism when I service it?
Oh and what lube/grease for aerial please?

Many thanks in advance

Shane (noob - be gentle, use lube! )
kruelt
Progress to next rank:
2%

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Re: Lube requirements (Thats what she said :D lol )

Postby solman » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:24 pm

Personally I've been using SPG for the cogs, its synthetic and used in large format printers on plastic and metal components. It bonds well to both plastic and metal components won't eat the plastic away or get thrown around all over the place, basically where you stick it it stays put. Its been good for the last couple years I've used it even over the winter, its not cheap but a small tube goes a long way. If I do a lifter rebuild I'll strip and de-grease and get rid of all that old Honda brown hard jelly stuff and reassemble and lube as I go. Not sure on the aerial but bit of carb cleaner to get rid of the old crap and muck is probably most important in a rag, then a gentle wipe down with either a little WD40 esk spray (put it on a clean rag first) or some silicone spray (but be careful where you spray this its a bugger to get off!) Anything thicker is just going to attract more crap like a magnet as you drive around and gunk it up again quick IMO.
Did you know DSUK are on:

Image Image Image Image

solman
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

Drives: Crystal Black FK8

Re: Lube requirements (Thats what she said :D lol )

Postby kruelt » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:49 pm

solman wrote:Personally I've been using SPG for the cogs, its synthetic and used in large format printers on plastic and metal components. It bonds well to both plastic and metal components won't eat the plastic away or get thrown around all over the place, basically where you stick it it stays put. Its been good for the last couple years I've used it even over the winter, its not cheap but a small tube goes a long way. If I do a lifter rebuild I'll strip and de-grease and get rid of all that old Honda brown hard jelly stuff and reassemble and lube as I go. Not sure on the aerial but bit of carb cleaner to get rid of the old crap and muck is probably most important in a rag, then a gentle wipe down with either a little WD40 esk spray (put it on a clean rag first) or some silicone spray (but be careful where you spray this its a bugger to get off!) Anything thicker is just going to attract more crap like a magnet as you drive around and gunk it up again quick IMO.

Many thanks for the reply.
SPG? can it be purchased on Amazon etc?
What about lube for the boot lifter? just normal grease like CV joint grease or something?

kruelt
Progress to next rank:
2%

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Return to Maintenance / Problems / Servicing