Worth fixing the rust or time to break?

Post here if you have any problems with any aspect of your Delsol.

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Worth fixing the rust or time to break?

Postby Stevelangdon93 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:44 pm

As my sol is currently off the road with me being away at uni, I've been stripping bits down when I can to check for rust. The underneath is solid as it has been sealed, behind the rear bins is all clean too. Today I stripped down the boot and removed the rear bumper to find the following.

Left Side of boot all clean

Middle of boot has tiny bits of surface rust

Then the right side has some rust

Close up

and in the little hole by the arch

The outside of the same parts

And finally under the bumper

I was prepared to get the arches and sills fixed, but now I've found this i'm not sure if the chassis is buggered. The rust inside the boot does seem to be attached to the arch and could probably be done at the same time. But that patch of rust on the floor of the boot concerns me.

All the rust I found I treated with some kurust for the time being.

Is it time to sell up/break? :cry:
Stevelangdon93
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
3.8%

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Drives: 1992 VTI Captiva blue

Re: Worth fixing the rust or time to break?

Postby gwhoo4t » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:43 pm

Nowhere near bad enough to break IMHO - that's a relatively easy fix.

And imagine how good it'll feel to get it sorted 8)

Gaz
gwhoo4t
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
54.8%

13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership

Drives: '92 Black VXi TT Auto

Re: Worth fixing the rust or time to break?

Postby Stevelangdon93 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:22 am

Will it cost a huge amount more over just getting the arches and sills done though? as it will be custom fabrication work
Stevelangdon93
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
3.8%

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Drives: 1992 VTI Captiva blue

Return to Maintenance / Problems / Servicing