rear inna wheel arch rust repair info wanted please

Post here if you have any problems with any aspect of your Delsol.

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

rear inna wheel arch rust repair info wanted please

Postby 1996crxesiuk » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:21 am

hi im looking for info about the ways and means of repairing both my rear inna wheel arches as they have rust and holes now, the outer arches seem ok to me only 2 light rust bubbles.

the one thing i want to avoid is a full respray as rest of car is in very good nick for being a 1996 reg

so do i get someone to weld loads patches or can i get panels quite cheap for the inna arches.

also any info on how to protect the paint on the outside wile welding the inna arch plus will i have to have the petrol tank removed?

thanks for looking i look forward to replies as got mot in 58 days time :-)
1996crxesiuk
Progress to next rank:
20.2%

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Re: rear inna wheel arch rust repair info wanted please

Postby skitz » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:50 pm

no panels are available for inner archs, so its cutting out the rusty bits and fabricating new pieces
bit of a fiddly job without cutting the outer arch out.

Its unlikely the outer panels are in as good condition as you think as the rot usually starts from the seam between the inner and outer and works its way out
03 Nighthawk Black CTR track car.
skitz
Ye' Almighty!
Ye' Almighty!

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

Postby SiR_chris » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:47 pm

Yep unfortunately no easy fix, people have used new rear eg civic arches for the outer panel but I'd take it down to a few body shops and get some quotes. If you leave it it will get worse quite quickly too
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: '92 H2B SiR, '02 CW DC5, '06 Black Sport Jazz

Postby bluepurple » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:23 am

My arches and sills are on the way out, so i reckon the inners are well and truly gone. Is there a need to replace the inners?

Do EG arches fit okay?
bluepurple
Progress to next rank:
17.2%

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby CrxLeicester » Sat May 21, 2016 2:51 pm

I've just spent the last couple of weeks repairing my sills and rear arches. It's not that bad if you have a welder, some steel plate and a lot of time. I'm lucky in that the car was off road anyway and i had another car to use.

I started by stabbing away at any rust on the arches until it stopped falling away. I was left with some very big holes in the side of my baby. Then I got the angle grinder out and proceeded to chop away all the infected metal I could access. I then cut and bent steel sheet to make up the sills and arch I had cut away and welded in place.

Then came the anti rust treatment, filler, sanding, filler, sanding, sanding, sanding, more sanding, prime, spray and under seal and done....

Or so I thought, went to start the car but had no spark and a break calliper piston that refused to move with the weight of a combine harvester pressing on it. New ignition coil, calliper, front disks/pads and she's back on the road!
CrxLeicester
Progress to next rank:
65.7%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Return to Maintenance / Problems / Servicing