ABS error is the same after replacing failed sensor

Post here if you have any problems with any aspect of your Delsol.

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

ABS error is the same after replacing failed sensor

Postby Buzzby » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:50 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1995 Honda CRX Del Sol. Jap import.

When I bought the car I was told that the driver's side rear ABS sensor was broken. This meant that I had to turn off the traction control in order for the car to drive. The car would start fine but as soon as you start driving the TCS would cut the ignition and the engine wouldn't rev. Turn it off and the car would drive fine.
On investigating the ABS sensor using a multimeter i could see that the output from the sensor would not change regardless of how fast the wheel was spinning (or not spinning). Always the same milli volt output.
I should also say that when driving the ABS light on the dash would come on after about 10 minutes of driving.

So I embark on the journey to replace the ABS sensor. Unable to find any direct replacements online i buy a second hand one and find that this also doesn;t change the output based on speed. So i buy one for the Honda Accord 1995. The sensor appeared to the be same.
Fitting this was fine but had to extend the wiring a bit as the accord sensor was a bit short. Tested it with the multimeter and get different output based on the wheel speed.

The Result

Car now drives without having to turn off the traction control (YAY)
ABS light on the dash come on within seconds of setting off

Reading the error code that is given I believe I get error code 48. Which i think is the rear ABS sensor that I just replaced.
Here is a video of the error code so someone could confirm I have understood it correctly. 

https://youtu.be/Jgcv7HIRH1Q

So now to my question

What should I do next? I find it hard to believe that this issue is actually the sensor as it is brand new. I also find it hard to believe that Honda would use different ABS sensors across the range for the same age car but I might be wrong.
Hopefully, i have read the error code wrong and someone can just point out the next bit I need to replace.

Is there any documentation on how I can test each of the sensors with a multimeter.

What surprises me the most is that I have 2 confirmed broken ABS sensors that give the car the same issue (Have to turn off TCS, ABS light after 10 mins) then I add a brand new one and get different behavior but error says it the same issue.

Thanks in advance
Buzzby
Progress to next rank:
7.1%

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Re: ABS error is the same after replacing failed sensor

Postby Buzzby » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Just to answer this for some future person. I replaced the rear sensor with one from a honda accord of the same year (these were available new). Had to extend the cable but they did fit. This then highlighted that the other rear sensor had gone.

Used the wire trick to get the ABS fault code. Another note is that when the codes say rear left or right this is based on the driver sat in the driver's seat.

Changed the other side for another new honda accord sensor and it works. Bit of a pain is that i could only get the right side honda accord sensor but they are interchangeable. You just have to mess around with a Dremel to swap out the brackets.
Buzzby
Progress to next rank:
7.1%

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby geomak » Mon May 13, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi, joined the forum to say I am that future person with exactly the same problem as you! Both rear ABS sensors are giving no signal.

What was the part number on the Accord ABS sensors you used? They seem to vary from £30-£200 for what seems to be the same sensor.

Thanks for documenting this fix!
geomak
Progress to next rank:
0%

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Postby solman » Thu May 16, 2019 4:18 pm

Get on Facebook and ask Adam Russell he recently did this and can tell you the ones he used.
Did you know DSUK are on:

Image Image Image Image

solman
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

Drives: Crystal Black FK8

Postby Del sol 1997 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:08 pm

You just have to find a sensor is ebay with the same sensor head as the Del Sol. The more modern Hondas have a different sensor head. The one I bought (and this is what I'm reading of ebay, so may make no sense) was a Honda CIVIC VI Fastback, MA, MB, D14A2, D13A8, D14Z4,D14A6. Was £56.41+£5.30 postage. Hope this helps.
Del sol 1997
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
14.5%

16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership

1997 Honda CR-X
Drives: Honda Del Sol 1997 ESI

Return to Maintenance / Problems / Servicing