Fix your ashtray hinge

Links and write ups for anything on your sol. From engine swaps to fitting new lights

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Fix your ashtray hinge

Postby Cardiff69 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:36 am

ok,when i bought my car,the lid hinge on the tray-of-ash was broken,so everytime i used it,i had to remove it. So i rang honda and had some stupid price,laughed at them,and hung up the phone :lol:

Tools/bits needed:- drill,two small split pins and snips

As long as you have the spring bit (the circular bit with two bits coming off it) then it is easy.

Get a drill (not too sure what size bit you need) take out your ashtray,and there is a circular sticky-out bit on both sides with holes going through. The holes dont actually go all the way through,so with a drill (and a bit that fits just inside the hole) drill all the way through SLOWLY as not to crack the ashtray.

Now hold the ashtray,and line up the lid on the side of it(as it would sit in your car when open) then insert one split pin from the inside of the ashtray,so that you can see the loop of the pin in the ashtray. Bend the split pin,and chop off accordingly. Do the same on the other side.

Put the spring back in place by putting each end into the very small holes that are on the lid/the pot.

Now you can put the whole thing back into your car(you might need to squeeze it in)

Now give yourself a pat on the back :lol:

Time spent :- 20 mins tops.

Monet spent :- 50p for the pins

Money saved :- about 70 quid 8)
Cardiff69

Postby Curtis » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:08 am

i did something similar to this on mine
ImageImage
Jut wrote:Aaron says alot of things, he's often wrong.
Curtis
DSUK Alumni
DSUK Alumni

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

Drives: EG6 SiR2

Postby Dzvatsvatsva » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:18 pm

I fixed mine WITHOUT DRILLING. I inserted a tube from an old ball point pen (sometimes called a refill), trimmed the excess and voila! Its stron enough to hold it without any new holes.
Dzvatsvatsva

Re:

Postby austin_mini75 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:11 pm

Dzvatsvatsva wrote:I fixed mine WITHOUT DRILLING. I inserted a tube from an old ball point pen (sometimes called a refill), trimmed the excess and voila! Its stron enough to hold it without any new holes.

this worked perfectly :D
austin_mini75

Return to HOW Do they do that?