How to: Clean rear blocked window drains

Links and write ups for anything on your sol. From engine swaps to fitting new lights

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Postby dan_b » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:11 am

Sounds like your drains need cleaning dude :)

Go on, do it, its an easy enough job, always handy if youve got a 2nd pair of hands tho :wink:

I'd also check the cables that operate the rear window too, i didnt at the time i did mine and they snapped 3 months later with rust :(

Anyways get it done :twisted: :lol:
dan_b

Postby Rena » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:24 pm

thanks to all.
Rena

Postby Josie » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:19 am

A quick tip for anyone planning to do this at this time of year....

If you've got a lot of water trapped behind the panel it can easily be syphoned out with a thin piece of tubing, just lower the rear window and there's a big enough gap to put the tubing down. This will save you having a load of dirty water flow out into the back of your car when you pull the panel off!
Josie
Progress to next rank:
96%

17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership

Re: How to: Clean rear blocked window drains

Postby DarylBull » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:58 am

I did mine earlyer in the year all i could here was a water sound from behind when i turned corners, it was a pretty simple job,

i took some pics to show how much water was in there and stuff
this picture is when i had just pulled the window out its held on by some super tough sealent, u may bend the metal panel slightly getting it out.. dont worry it will bolt back in fine.

The amount of water i had trapped in the channel, luckly the seal was good and none over flowed because it would of feel straight on to the electric window plug (i guess thats why some stop working) just to be safe before i put it back i unclipped it from the metal and moved it a little higher so water wouldnt be able to get to it as easy..
from the picture it doesnt look deep but i assure u it was more just under 2 inches deep, i had a few towels ready to soak it all up

when the water is gone either end u have the drains, mine were completely filled with crap, warm water and a tap will flush it out, after i dried everything off. Took off all the old sealent, and used silocone to seal the rubber tubes and window all back up, be generous with the silocone. u dont want it to leak.. then bolt everything back up and your done ( might wanna give the window a clean, as the bit u done see is filthy) good luck :)

DarylBull
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
0%

12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership

Drives: Sol SIR Samba

Postby SiR_chris » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:31 pm

Good info :)
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: '92 H2B SiR, '02 CW DC5, '06 Black Sport Jazz

Postby sirdelsol » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:31 am

those links are broken =/
sirdelsol
Progress to next rank:
39.4%

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

Postby noodle » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:44 pm

I dont have any water noises but i am getting condensation on my boot lid is this due too a different set of drains being blocked?
..STAY
CALM
AND
V-TEC

AAAAAAH
noodle
Progress to next rank:
40.4%

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

1993 Honda crx del sol sir
Drives: 1993, red, honda crx delsol sir

Postby SiR_chris » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:16 am

could be a possible factor yes
SiR_chris
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: '92 H2B SiR, '02 CW DC5, '06 Black Sport Jazz

Postby rodney19890161 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:46 pm

noodle wrote:I dont have any water noises but i am getting condensation on my boot lid is this due too a different set of drains being blocked?

there is a small hole under the spare wheel might need cleaning out
rodney19890161
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
44.3%

12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership

Postby gwhoo4t » Sat May 25, 2013 6:06 pm

I got the sound of water sloshing behind me this week so while looking I could see down the gap with the window glass down. Now it won't be as good a fix as giving it a good clean as in this thread, but as a quick fix, you can get net curtain cord down to it and clear it - certainly enough to let the water out:

I put an air duster on the cord for a bit of good measure too :D although I expect the water did a reasonable job of rinsing the muck through.

Takes only a couple of minutes, unless you drop the cord like I did, in which case add a further ten minutes to fashion a wire hook in order to retrieve it! :oops:

Gaz
gwhoo4t
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
54.8%

13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership

Drives: '92 Black VXi TT Auto

Postby astrobabe » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:25 pm

Hey I did this today, they were full of gunk, couldn't even locate one it was that dirty. Just wondering, I've replaced everything and now the outside window weather strip doesn't seem to be buffed right up to my window, it has gaps either end. When it rains (luckily when I had finished the job), it all dribbles down my window and into the interior gutter I've just cleaned. Is there anyway of pushing the window closer to this rubber strip?! Or have a put it back in wrong?
I'm aware the gutter is there for slight dribbles but surely it's not to catch all the rain!
astrobabe
Progress to next rank:
10.1%

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Postby lxstuart » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:18 pm

As far as I could tell when I did mine, the gutter is for the water, and the strip is to stop the bits of crap getting in there and blocking the drains up.

I'm pretty sure there is an adjustment for it, but it means taking it all out again :shock:

I could be wrong though.

SmithYo wrote:bollocks to wd40.... bita spit normally works a charm ;)

crazyasswhiteboi wrote:was worth the effort, just needed a little wriggling when putting in...

Image Not always SFW
lxstuart
DelSolUK Moderator
DelSolUK Moderator

15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership

Drives: '96 Milano Red SiR, '95 Legend Coupe

Previous

Return to HOW Do they do that?