How to: Clean rear blocked window drains

Links and write ups for anything on your sol. From engine swaps to fitting new lights

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

How to: Clean rear blocked window drains

Postby Guy » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:43 pm

I must thank Geo for allowing me to use some of his info off the Team Del Sol Washington Website:

http://teamdelsolwa.com/howto/drainblock.htm
Guy

Postby Curtis » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:40 pm

i found this a while back on club sol just thought it could be of help

http://www.elneckio.com/stuff/crx/slosh ... clean.html

Ben
ImageImage
Jut wrote:Aaron says alot of things, he's often wrong.
Curtis
DSUK Alumni
DSUK Alumni

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

Drives: EG6 SiR2

Postby djdshaw » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:27 am

I followed this procedure yesterday & it's definately easier if you take the seats out.
Also I found that taking the speaker trim out before the storage bins makes it easier to remove the bins & likewise replace the bins before you replace the speaker trim.
But I have to say the hardest part is pulling the panel off the sealant I think Honda used a whole barrel on mine !! Bending the panel is unavoidable so make sure you straighten it before you put it back.
djdshaw
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
35.8%

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

Postby dan_b » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:07 pm

Yeah i see where youre coming from, my rear panel has been out twice in the last week so that i could fix the rear window motor, but to be honest, i really dont think the seats need to come out, and believe me, im 6ft 4, aint a small boy, and i had plenty of room.

In regards to panel and sealant, yeah Honda did a good job by the looks of it when Curtis and I did mine before Christmas, I took it out again 2 weeks ago to check what had broekn and i had respealed it obviously. Still took a good battle to get it loose, but its worth using a good sealant and doing it well, Sol doesnt steam up anymore what so ever :wink:
dan_b

Postby djdshaw » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:33 pm

Its not essential to take the seats out but its only 4 bolts per seat & it just gives you extra room, you can also kneel on the floor & get more umph behind the spanner. But twice in 1 week I don't envy you. I got mine out to fix the rear window switch & I hope I don't have to get it out for a while !!
djdshaw
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
35.8%

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

Postby dan_b » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:41 pm

Ah its an easy enough job, just lots of screws holding all the interior bits in then the 12 bolts that hold the rear panel in. Was good fun lol :oops:

Least my rear windows working now, hated not having it working and that was just for a week :shock:
dan_b

Postby boredbloke » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:56 pm

yeah the rear window does rule!!!

I've got to do my rear panel soon too, although I'm abit worried as there was that much water in there the othere day that i think if I took the panel of it might flood the bottom of the car!!
She always looks better topless...

Remedi wrote:I want to change that beeping [roof noise] into a Transformer sound :lol:

Best idea ever!!!
boredbloke
Sol Breaker
Sol Breaker

Drives: my Mrs up the wall....

Postby djdshaw » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:06 pm

I changed the rear window seal at the same time.
cost £32 +vat from Honda but my local dealer got it next day. Have to say there was no water in mine just Japanese cobwebs & dust.
djdshaw
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
35.8%

Postby dan_b » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:43 pm

boredbloke wrote:yeah the rear window does rule!!!

I've got to do my rear panel soon too, although I'm abit worried as there was that much water in there the othere day that i think if I took the panel of it might flood the bottom of the car!!

Yours deffo wont be as bad as mine was believe me, Curtis can vouch for it haha :lol:
My tip will be to losen it at the bottom corners 1st dude, use a towel to soak up the water thats runnin out and when its throughly soaked, just stick the panel back on (it'll still stick ok :wink: ) Then just keep doing this till water stops pouring out. The lip behind the panel is about an inch high so it shouldnt be too bad mate... My water level was, honestly, about 3" off the top of the panelk :shock: So glad we caught it before the winter set in :lol: :roll:
dan_b

Postby Curtis » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:54 pm

oh god yes yours was ridiculous! started to pull off the pannel and water was just gushing out!

I have said ill go help out si with his at some point too but his will be nowhere near as bad as yours was it cant be no ones can :shock: :lol:
ImageImage
Jut wrote:Aaron says alot of things, he's often wrong.
Curtis
DSUK Alumni
DSUK Alumni

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

Drives: EG6 SiR2

Postby dan_b » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:03 pm

Hahahaha im glad its stuck in your memory Ben :wink: lol

It was soon sorted tho huh :)

You know im thankful :lol:

By the way... When you want thise frikkin tractor wheels back :P
dan_b

Postby muganb16 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:04 pm

is this why my carpets get wet in the footwell when it rains?
De La Sol wrote:Damn this crusty old car... :evil:

http://www.myspace.com/graham_fowler
muganb16
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
17.4%

Postby boredbloke » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:12 am

It can be a cause yeah

the water runs down through the bottom of the seal under the bins then your lovely carpet soaks it up!
She always looks better topless...

Remedi wrote:I want to change that beeping [roof noise] into a Transformer sound :lol:

Best idea ever!!!
boredbloke
Sol Breaker
Sol Breaker

Drives: my Mrs up the wall....

Postby DJChrissyw » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:01 am

Hi all,

I just got a Del Sol VXI, and when i was removing the carpet in the boot to install me sub i did notice a hell of a lot of water starting to pour from the bottom of the rear window.

I take it that the rear window naturally collects this water and its not the rubber seal???
DJChrissyw
Progress to next rank:
68.7%

17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership

Postby djdshaw » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:34 am

There is a seal attached to the window itself that seals the rear window, depends how good the seal along the length of the window is.
My car is 13 years old when I took the rear window out there was no water at all.
It also depends if the drains are blocked they may need cleaning out.
djdshaw
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
35.8%

Next

Return to HOW Do they do that?