How to install 3rd brake light

Links and write ups for anything on your sol. From engine swaps to fitting new lights

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Re: How to install 3rd brake light

Postby LIL EVIL » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:30 pm

had no tim to draw but!!!

ok pull down thecover in where the inturnal light is making sure you unscrew the 1 small one inside the light, no clips broken i hope!!

then sit in the car facing the panel you just took off extend your right arm, yes now remove the side pannels [ driver side ]. you should beable to see in to the boot of the car, if you cant get out and open the boot lid yo should now, just run an larger grade cable [ than the light ] down from the inturnal light down past all the pannels you took off throught to the boot connect the wire to the green/ white one [ please check this is the wirering in your car!!! ] as i aint paying for a re-wire if you mess up!!

now i only found this route cos i had to re-place the rear window when i got the car dame chavs n towney's!!! smashing it

saying that the car was a steal @ £500 lol with 75,000 and full honda service his
IT AINT TRULY YOUR RIDE UNLESS YOU DID ALL THE WORK YOURSELF
PSN ID: BIGSI01
http://www.delsoluk.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=21483 - FOR CAR UPDATES
LIL EVIL
Chatty
Chatty
Progress to next rank:
73.4%

15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership

1993 Honda Delsol
Drives: 1993 ESI was R81 now custom dark red metalic

Postby phill » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:58 pm

Just done this on my car today, and went perfect, altho the outer trim didnt fit back quite as well but it works great! Would of worked it out my self eventually, but this took the guess work out and prevented me damaging some parts. I'm just missing the screw covers now..... dont suppose any one has them going spare?????
phill

Postby De La Sol » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:12 pm

phill wrote: I'm just missing the screw covers now..... dont suppose any one has them going spare?????

Good luck. :P
"Only last week I murdered a rock, Injured a stone, hospitalized a brick, I'm so mean I make medicine sick." - Muhammad Ali.
De La Sol
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
31.7%

17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership17 years of membership

Postby sol'd out » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:48 pm

You can get them from Honda if you need to. There's a left hand and a right hand one. The part numbers are:
34271SR2A01
34276SR2A01

The bad news is that they are £3.88 each! :(
sol'd out
DelSolUK Hero
DelSolUK Hero

16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership16 years of membership

1996 Honda Delsol
Drives: 1996 frost white VGi

Postby Wilson VTi » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:30 pm

Did this today. Decided to unclip the loom going to the interior light and pulled it out and i found......the plug that goes straight into the 3rd brake light, Honda very nicely taped it to the loom.

i had to extend the wires a little bit to make things fit nice n snug.

More tea vicar?
Wilson VTi
Chatty
Chatty
Progress to next rank:
35%

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

Postby Rachel_Gee » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:56 am

got my 3rd brake light today in the post, took me all of 20mins to install it :D

no1 mentioned drilling holes tho i was most displeased - i took lots of pics so will post when i get chance

rachel x

Project Tamama 09 - Image Running time: 300 Miles (Contains occasional strong language , mild threat, scary moments, and Strong use of VTEC)
Rachel_Gee
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
0.8%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Postby LIL EVIL » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:10 pm

what holes i never had too??
LIL EVIL
Chatty
Chatty
Progress to next rank:
73.4%

15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership15 years of membership

1993 Honda Delsol

Postby timmr6 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:37 am

Rachel_Gee wrote:got my 3rd brake light today in the post, took me all of 20mins to install it :D

no1 mentioned drilling holes tho i was most displeased - i took lots of pics so will post when i get chance

rachel x

please get some pics up mine is installed but i still need to connect it some how as there was no connector plug on the car :(
timmr6
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
6.8%

Postby LIL EVIL » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:46 pm

will take a few for you ovr weekend
LIL EVIL
Chatty
Chatty
Progress to next rank:
73.4%

1993 Honda Delsol

Postby Rachel_Gee » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:36 am

Sorry I totally forgot about this and only just saw this morning :oops:

Well to start you need to remove the interior trim - meaning removing the interior light. Use a thin flat blade screw driver to pop off the cover, then there’s one Philips screw holding it in place - once removed unplug the 2 connectors and put it, the screw and the cover somewhere safe :)

Next you need to remove the interior plastic trim, now mines a manual roof and im used to removing civic interior - so where the black covers are for the roof to lock into, i gently prised the plastic away there and pulled it off :)

now in the above picture you can see I’ve removed the interior light wires, you can follow the wire and pop out the clips - you don’t need to but I did to show the location of the 3rd brake light plug:

Which is nicely taped up ready to go!

So that’s inside done, now we need to start outside, so i started by putting a big sheet over my boot - we don’t want any scratches do we :) now use that flat blade from before to gently prise out the cover where the brake light is going, you will now have access to 2 big-ish black Philips screws - remove and place somewhere safe. now the outside trim needs to come off, it’s held by clips - one big one in the middle which you can just get to from reaching from inside the car (where the interior light goes) with a pair of pliers or other grips, once done use the flat blade along the top edge to again gently pop out the other clips and bingo!

Now if like mine - you probably want to give the area a wipe down as its filthy! i also found no hole to the 3rd brake light plug to enter the car (oooer misses ;) )

As you can see I’ve roughly marked up the area i wanted the plug to go thro - just to the left of the middle big clip hole.

So out with the drill

Feel brave and go for it!

If i remember correctly I used a 13mm drill bit (started smaller and centre punched the 2 holes i drilled to make the gap wide enough) and finished with a small flat file - constantly checking against the plug/grommet on the brake light to see how much I needed to take off untill:

Tadar it fitted!

Now you need to remove the above wire and refit your exterior panel 1st, which will clip back into place, then push your brake light plug into position and use the 2 big-ish black screws to hold the light in place, personally I didn’t yet fit the two clip in end covers over these screws just in case there was a problem with it working and I needed to remove it all (the clips are fragile and prone to breaking). You’re now done outside the car for the moment. Inside we still need to plug in the light; the plug should now be accessible from the interior light hole:

(note you can also see the big central clip I referred to earlier in the picture)

So if you removed the wiring to find the plug - or to wire in a new one, rethread the loom and re-clip in place, then plug your brake light in. If you had to wire your own plug - now is the time to test it! Turn your ignition to 1st position and put your foot on the brake, if you haven’t got a 2nd person to look for you - you should be able to see it light up your spoiler in the rear view mirror (well I could as mines white 8) ) or get out the car, and use a long object to operate the brake while you look :lol:

Yay it works!

Any who it should work, so refit your interior plastic by popping back in the clips, refit your interior light - don’t loose the little screw! and remember to plug it back in :lol:

Now if your happy fit the 2 screw covers to the brake light and your all done!

Hope that helps :)

Rachel x

Project Tamama 09 - Image Running time: 300 Miles (Contains occasional strong language , mild threat, scary moments, and Strong use of VTEC)
Rachel_Gee
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
0.8%

14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership14 years of membership

Previous

Return to HOW Do they do that?