removing rear drum cover

Links and write ups for anything on your sol. From engine swaps to fitting new lights

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

removing rear drum cover

Postby bonkers » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:04 pm

have done this myself today and didnt see another how to so here goes ...this is how i done it and i take no responsability if things go wrong for you ...sorry :roll: :roll:

obviously you need to loosen the nuts on wheels a little then jack up car and secure using axle stands NEVER rely on just ya jack :!: :!: :!: :!:

then remove wheel and get a hammer and lightly strike the drum around the bolts holding the wheel on in orange areas of pic ..dont go mad just gently as not to damage the drum anyway

.. this will just help release the dirt and grit thats in there ..

next you need to little bolts to sit in the holes shown by the white arrows unsure of size but i think there m8 about 20mm long i just looked through my bolt collection till i found 2 that fitted :roll: :roll:

they will push agains the drum forcing the drum of the brakes IMPORTANT you must do them in equal turns so as not to twist the drum forcing it to bite on 1 side and just go slow !!!!

you will see it just pushes the drum of the pads nice and easily .. may need a little help from a screwdriver to just prize of but not a lot and remember the pads are in there so be gentle

this is how it should look when off just remove the 2 bolts as they are no longer needed in the drum

looks like there is still plenty brake left on the pads so im happy with that (so is my mechanic from work as means he dont need to change them just yet :lol: :lol: :lol: )

then begin getting the drum cleaned up .. my method of choice was a quick wire brushing and then a wire brushing with the drill ... others may want to spend more time and tidy them up a lot more but i didnt as there only drums at the end of the day and there bloody old and just getting a lick of paint will make all the difference :lol: :lol:

gave them a blast over with some brake cleaner then primed drum then paint youre colour of choice and put back on job done

also if you want to can paint this bit in centre if like me you have no centre caps for ya wheels :wink: :wink:
will post pics of mine on monday as daughters birthday 2mora so not allowed to play with wilma :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

hope this helps somebody one day

sol'd out wrote: Keep the willy waving for the track!

I know more today than yesterday .....but less than tomorrow ....
bonkers
Chatty
Chatty
Progress to next rank:
51.8%

12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership

Drives: esi ..1993 ,white

Re: removing rear drum cover

Postby Paulm » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:37 am

My daughter's birthday today too :)
Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: 1992 greenish SIR B20

Return to HOW Do they do that?