Detailed (Rear window / 3rd brake / sail trim removal.)

Links and write ups for anything on your sol. From engine swaps to fitting new lights

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Detailed (Rear window / 3rd brake / sail trim removal.)

Postby maksimizer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:01 pm

First of all thanks to no-sol for the inspiration. beer

DIY on removing, replacing, whatever you want to do with your del sol rear sails, or 3rd brake trim / window trim.

Do not overthink it. Its straight forward.

Outside of car.
1. Carefully pop off the brake light covers (they break really easy).
1.1 Put a rag or blanket on trunk to not scratch paint.
2. Undo the screws behind the covers.
3. Take off the screw on the 3rd brake light (easier to remove trim afterward).

Inside of car.
4. Remove dome light cover.
5. Remove screw.
6. Should hang like so.

7. I found it most easy to pull from the back to get the cover off.
8. Refferal to how it is held on.
9. The rear trim is held on by three clips, (squeeze them from inside the car and push out, or pull rear trim as you squeeze them)

Outside of car.
10. Start to pull the brake light thu the rear trim, pull it all the way out.

11. Rear sails held on by 2 screws, plus clips. Shown in # 11, 13, 14.
Start off by removing the 2 screws, then do whatever you gota do for the clips lol..... those are a bitch.
You will most likely break off a few if not all of (#14,) clips. :pissed4:

After its all done I would reccoment filling the broken clip holes with whatever you have. Weatherstrip adhesive, or something along those lines, if your old weatherstrip around the clips is old, rip them out and put new adhesive on. New adhesive in #13.

If the clips have leaks it can cause rear flooding. So make sure its all sealed properly.

Putting it back on is straight forward. Sails > middle trim > light > int of car.

Goodluck
maksimizer
Progress to next rank:
27.3%

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

Re: Detailed (Rear window / 3rd brake / sail trim removal.)

Postby bonkers » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:54 pm

thanks for this im going to be stripping wilma in the next few weeks ready for her new coat ....

sol'd out wrote: Keep the willy waving for the track!

I know more today than yesterday .....but less than tomorrow ....
bonkers
Chatty
Chatty
Progress to next rank:
51.8%

12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership

Drives: esi ..1993 ,white

Postby Paulm » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:23 pm

No need to take out the interior light and panel. Other than that good write up
Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: 1992 greenish SIR B20

Postby KenEE8 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:06 pm

Very helpful, thanks.
KenEE8
Progress to next rank:
10.1%

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

1998 Honda Civic
Drives: 1992 Cap blue siR

Postby Car3stash » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:04 pm

Paulm wrote:No need to take out the interior light and panel. Other than that good write up

So what do you do? do you just pull the middle trim and it's gonna come off? I'm scared to hell that it breaks in half or something.
Car3stash
Progress to next rank:
31.3%

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby delsolchippy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:20 pm

I did mine a few weeks back and found it better to take the light out and use a screwdriver to push the wings down on the clip that holds the middle of the 3rd break light housing!
delsolchippy
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
0.5%

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

1994 Honda Delsol

Postby Car3stash » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:00 pm

delsolchippy wrote:I did mine a few weeks back and found it better to take the light out and use a screwdriver to push the wings down on the clip that holds the middle of the 3rd break light housing!

Did you do all that without taking the interior trim off? I also took out the light once and could see the middle clip that holds the trim but I didn't actually attempt to reach all the way there. Will check this weekend if I can do it. Would help as my right sail trim is badly faded, not sure if a polish could help there...
Car3stash
Progress to next rank:
31.3%

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby delsolchippy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:43 pm

Yes I never took off the interior trim. If you did you are only left with the same size hole to work through!
delsolchippy
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
0.5%

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

1994 Honda Delsol

Return to HOW Do they do that?