Roof Rattle Fix - Tightening the Guide Pins

Links and write ups for anything on your sol. From engine swaps to fitting new lights

Moderators: kenco, SiR_chris, Glovermx, lxstuart, sol'd out, delsolchippy, Del sol 1997, Paulm, solman

Roof Rattle Fix - Tightening the Guide Pins

Postby Geo » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:10 am

Thought I'd add this one since it was not put up yet for ease of finding.

Another fix for the roof rattle, tightening the guide pins on the targa top with a hex screw: How-To on tightening the Guide Pins
Geo
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
13.9%

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

Postby Paulm » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:08 am

Perfect - thanks Geo! i shall be doing this on the weekend :)
Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
Paulm
DelSolUK Site Admin
DelSolUK Site Admin

18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership18 years of membership

1992 Honda Delsol
Drives: 1992 greenish SIR B20

Postby damo » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:29 pm

Cheers geo, great pics.
damo
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
68.8%

19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership19 years of membership

Re: Roof Rattle Fix - Tightening the Guide Pins

Postby sausageUK » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:40 pm

Geo wrote:Thought I'd add this one since it was not put up yet for ease of finding.

Another fix for the roof rattle, tightening the guide pins on the targa top with a hex screw: How-To on tightening the Guide Pins

Hi Link is down, anywhere else I can find it?
sausageUK

Postby sparky27 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:37 am

I had created a slightly more detailed version, can't seem to find it, I'll search on the other pc tomorrow. If you can do without a photo how to, the basics are:

1. Take roof off
2. Lay roof upside down on sheet /carpet etc to make sure you don't scratch the paint
3. Remove the little plastic corner protectors on the front corners. Do not just pry them off, you will need to stick a metal skewer or similar through a little hole to push back a clip and then they will pop off
4. Remove the roof locking handles by popping off the round plastic screw covers. If memory serves, you should rotate these about 90 degrees before prying loose. Then unscrew the handles and pull straight off
5. Remove the plastic trim from each side by pulling off, this will expose the locking mechanisms

There are then 2 fixes you can do at this stage. Firstly, you will see that near where the bars for the locking pins are connected, there is a little foam type pad to reduce rattling. This is generally worn down over time so you just need to build it back up. Some standard foam padding glued in place will do for this.

Secondly, you will see that each locking pin passes through a metal block at each corner. Inside each metal block is a plastic tube that the pin also passes through (you can see the edges of the tube flush up against the metal block). Over time this plastic has become worn and the pins are moving inside. What you need to do is drill through the metal block and insert a hex screw to put pressure on / slightly deform the plastic tube so that it makes constant contact with the locking pin. So...

1. With a flat head screwdriver, pry the plastic tube loose and pull it out from the block. When you drill, you don't want to drill through the tube as it would defeat the purpose!
2. Drill through the metal block, I think I used a 10mm bit
3. Tap the hole (you will need a tapping tool, this is essentially like a kinda reverse corkscrew that puts threads into the hole)
4. Put the plastic tube back in
5. Insert a 10mm hex screw and tighten. Don't tighten too much or you could crack the plastic tube.
6. You will need to play around a bit with how tight the hex screw is as you need to find a balance between the pins not rattling and how easy it is to unlock the roof (just stick the handles back on to check)

When you are happy with the above, reinstall all the bits in the reverse order. Simple as that!! I think I've covered everything but basically take it nice and slowly, don't force anything in case you break it. I spent about 2 hours doing it and that was stopping for lunch and a beer :lol:
"To err is human...to arr is pirate!!"
sparky27
DelSol UK Addict!
DelSol UK Addict!
Progress to next rank:
33.3%

Postby Gerry » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:58 pm

Hey
Is there anywhere that I can see pics of this getting done just so i can attepmt this without messing up :D
Gerry
Regular
Regular
Progress to next rank:
28.3%

13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership

Drives: 1994 Del Sol VTI blue oval rust bag Radiant Red

Return to HOW Do they do that?